Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 14:45 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
The lines don't flow well on it. It's lacking a clean visual from the bar/stem to the rear dropouts. If it had that the two kinks in the downtube would be less stand out less.

The massive seat tower doesn't work for me personally on any bike.

I don't mean this as an attack, really really.

The bike you made, which I will say again I absolutely adore, reminds me a lot of the Druid. The lines aren't the cleanest out there, but the final package just looks to aggressive and modern that it makes me think that maybe my standards for sexy are what's wrong, not the lines of the bike.

Ps, for real your bike is drop dead gorgeous in such an unconventional way.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
yeah i dont really understand the seat tube hate. looks fine to me and i love that they make the actual STA more in line with the effective as the sizing grows.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:30 Quote
matther01 wrote:
Brilliant components, and may ride well...but that's a frame only a mother could love!

I didn't know I was a mother!?

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
matther01 wrote:
Brilliant components, and may ride well...but that's a frame only a mother could love!

Congratulations! Boy, girl, or so far undefined?

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:36 Quote
sherbet wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
matther01 wrote:

It’s 2020 man, you don’t have to specify

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
sosburn wrote:
no1000 wrote:
I'd be all over the druid if it came with 160mm of rear suspension. Drool

From what i hear about the handling, i dont think many people need more rear suspension than what it has

True, but a bike with more travel may be equally efficient when pedaling, due to reduced drivetrain friction, and may be equally easy to hop & pop. High pivots with an idler create as many problems as they solve. I'm not saying it's not a viable design, but it's not a clear winner for trail riding. Likely superior for downhill, though.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
sherbet wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
matther01 wrote:

All mountain

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:52 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
sosburn wrote:
no1000 wrote:
I'd be all over the druid if it came with 160mm of rear suspension. Drool

From what i hear about the handling, i dont think many people need more rear suspension than what it has

True, but a bike with more travel may be equally efficient when pedaling, due to reduced drivetrain friction, and may be equally easy to hop & pop. High pivots with an idler create as many problems as they solve. I'm not saying it's not a viable design, but it's not a clear winner for trail riding. Likely superior for downhill, though.

Wait im confused, are you saying a bike with more travel that isn't a high pivot/idler combo will be equally efficient due to reduced friction? could be true for sure.
What i've head was that because of the high pivot/idler design, the 130mm or so rear travel may feel competitive to a 160mm bike with a different rear layout. but i have a feeling that the druid wouldn't perform great for trail riding with 160mm in the rear.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:57 Quote
sosburn wrote:
Wait im confused, are you saying a bike with more travel that isn't a high pivot/idler combo will be equally efficient due to reduced friction? could be true for sure.
What i've head was that because of the high pivot/idler design, the 130mm or so rear travel may feel competitive to a 160mm bike with a different rear layout. but i have a feeling that the druid wouldn't perform great for trail riding with 160mm in the rear.

That's close to what I'm saying.

More travel is likely to produce more squish, which is less efficient, so less travel should be more efficient, all else being equal.

Adding the extra drivetrain friction of the idler mechanism reduces efficiency. For this reason, a bike with less travel and an idler may be comparable in efficiency to a longer-travel bike without the idler.

Similarly, high-pivot designs are more difficult to manual, bunnyhop, and ride in an "active" style. Thus, a short-travel bike with a high pivot and idler may be no more "playful" or "agile" than a bike with more travel and a lower pivot.

I'm saying a short-travel bike with a high pivot and idler isn't the "best of both worlds", unfortunately. It may be a damned good bike, but not the best of both.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 16:09 Quote
sherbet wrote:
shirk-007 wrote:
The lines don't flow well on it. It's lacking a clean visual from the bar/stem to the rear dropouts. If it had that the two kinks in the downtube would be less stand out less.

The massive seat tower doesn't work for me personally on any bike.

I don't mean this as an attack, really really.

The bike you made, which I will say again I absolutely adore, reminds me a lot of the Druid. The lines aren't the cleanest out there, but the final package just looks to aggressive and modern that it makes me think that maybe my standards for sexy are what's wrong, not the lines of the bike.

Ps, for real your bike is drop dead gorgeous in such an unconventional way.

Correct the lines aren't the cleanest. In my original plan I had worked towards a better connection of the front end to the rear end...then had to say screw it and just connect the dots while building it on the fly to make it happen. It bugs me.

I drew some lines on a pic of the Druid to maybe better explain my opinion on it.

There is a slight kink at the blue and yellow lines and these don't like up with the green line on the rear swing arm. To me I think if you look at most all of the "sexiest bikes ever" you will find that the front end and rear end align on the same angle like I've drawn with the white lines. The don't necessarily have to connect, but are on the same angle.

Next frame will have the angles line up. I've also tweaked it so the shock angle is also going to be parallel to the toptube.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
Also somewhere like 100 pages back someone photochopped the Druid with the top tube sitting higher on the seat mast and personally I think it looks better.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 16:14 Quote
Moving the top up to where the white line is would make it look worse. That top tube line is fine where it is. Just shorten the seat tube and done.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 16:51 Quote
PHeller wrote:
I don't understand why everyone dislikes the raised seat tube.

Yea, a huge 200mm dropper would look better, but with carbon, you don't need a seat tube junction/brace/gusset and you can offer a much lower stand over without one.

Rip that AXS dropper and saddle at bottom out. Tire buzz is a killer

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 7:29 Quote
Speaking of lines, here are some good ones:

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 7:37 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
Next frame will have the angles line up. I've also tweaked it so the shock angle is also going to be parallel to the toptube.

Props for being a designer/builder.

I think the first iteration of your bike looks like a gate. It would be good for bikepacking though with all the space in the front triangle!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019272
Mobile Version of Website