Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 13:52 Quote
He used to offer black stanchions.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 14:41 Quote
I love inverted forks but they just look wrong without stanchion guards.

And I kinda hate how the Intend guy's reasoning behind not having them is so arrogant; something along the lines of "It's just an $80 stanchion vs a $300 set of lowers with a conventional fork" and "If you take "normal" care of your fork, there will not be more scratches on the lowers than on the uppers of a normal fork (there are no guards either and nobody gives a shit). If you are scared just don't buy it." lol sorry I live near rocks then.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
I hate to go off topic but how would an inverted fork not get the same scratches that a traditional fork get on its lowers but all over the stanchions?

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 16:46 Quote
jharrisonvirgo wrote:
I hate to go off topic but how would an inverted fork not get the same scratches that a traditional fork get on its lowers but all over the stanchions?

Oh they will, that guy is just saying that instead of having to replace a $300 set of lowers if you badly scratch one side, you can just buy one stanchion worth $80, which I do agree is BS because your lowers can take far more scratches before it becomes unusable vs a stanchion, where one deep scratch can completely mess up your forks seals

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 17:02 Quote
Has anyone got any photos of what the guards on Dorado's look like after a few years? Would be a good reference.

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 17:15 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:
Has anyone got any photos of what the guards on Dorado's look like after a few years? Would be a good reference.

my dorado guards are pretty clean. no big scratches or anything and ive never really dinged my lowers bad on normal forks. that said id still want stanchion guards no matter what and it looks weird without them

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 17:29 Quote
I actually prefer how they look without the guards, but would never ride one without it

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 18:25 Quote
Upduro wrote:
Oh shit that Banshee is nice, really REALLY digging that frame color.

Except the silver spokes and the super high saddle. Spokes should always be black unless you got some world champs or rampage build going on.

Silver spokes ALWAYS go well with silver hubs.

Pretty sure these are silver hubs.

...or are the gold?

Either way, I like them on this bike.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:

You're not wrong, but we can just as easily look at our own stanchions-on-the-top forks. Count the deep scratches on the lowers vs. the stanchions and make a guesstimate to compensate for the softer material of the lowers.

I've only ever had one scratch on a stanchion, thankfully only a couple millimeters below the crown, which was of no consequence. Two or three deep ones on the lowers. Pretty small sample size.

MtbRacer97 wrote:
And I kinda hate how the Intend guy's reasoning behind not having them is so arrogant; something along the lines of "It's just an $80 stanchion vs a $300 set of lowers with a conventional fork" and "If you take "normal" care of your fork, there will not be more scratches on the lowers than on the uppers of a normal fork (there are no guards either and nobody gives a shit). If you are scared just don't buy it." lol sorry I live near rocks then.

Cornelius is one of my favourite people in the industry. Love how direct he is. I actually agree about the pricing of the stanchion, especially since it wouldn't cost much more than the guards would add to the cost of the fork (although they're just little chunks of plastic, the tooling for molds is expensive). The only concern is that damage could occur mid-ride, a trailside fix is unlikely, and burrs could damage the bushings before the stanchion can be replaced.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 20:29 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Cornelius is one of my favourite people in the industry. Love how direct he is. I actually agree about the pricing of the stanchion, especially since it wouldn't cost much more than the guards would add to the cost of the fork (although they're just little chunks of plastic, the tooling for molds is expensive). The only concern is that damage could occur mid-ride, a trailside fix is unlikely, and burrs could damage the bushings before the stanchion can be replaced.

Fair play for being up front and sticking to his convictions. I guess the point I was trying to make was more so if you have a stanchion guard on any fork (no one in the mtb world has tried on a conventional fork minus stanchion boots in the late 90s early 2000s and lizard skins boots) you can avoid having to worry about scratches on either end because a scratched stanchion guard is a cosmetic blemish while a scratched stanchion is detrimental to both longevity and performance.

I do understand making molds and producing guards would add a lot of complexity and expense to what is already a boutique product, and for an outfit as small as Intend I can see it making less sense than my examples below. I suppose at that point it becomes more do you want to deal with an annoyance as a manufacturer or pass the annoyance to the customer in the way of having down time potentially replacing stanchions. Interesting cost vs benefit study for sure.

Anyways here's some anecdotal evidence to throw in the pile:

photo

Stanchion is dirty and reflection looks odd but anodizing is still intact and not worn

photo

X-Fusion Revel guards after 2.5 seasons of Enduro, DH, and general trail riding (purchased new in late 2017)

photo

Kowa guard after 1 season of lift access and shuttle access DH (purchased new old stock in late 2018, ridden in 2019)

photo
photo

And just for shits and giggles a 5 year old Fox 34 ridden on trails and some lift access DH (gf's bike, picked up used)

I may not ride particularly hard or fast but I DO ride dumb enough to see the benefit of stanchion guards Wink

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 20:36 Quote
Maybe a good solution would be to offer discounted spares at the point of sale. If he charged, say, cost-plus-a-little-bit, it wouldn't take much more effort to pick the parts and package it all up, he'd make a little extra money, customers would have spares on hand at little extra expense, and he'd have a tidy answer to concerns from potential customers worried about damage.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 20:54 Quote
Not a bad idea.

Repentance for the off topic
photo
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 20:57 Quote
MtbRacer97 wrote:
Repentance for the off topic

What's the penance for half of those being recent reposts? Geek

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 21:04 Quote
D'oh Redface public shame/flogging it is

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 21:21 Quote
MtbRacer97 wrote:
D'oh Redface public shame/flogging it is

Sentenced to ride with tire logos not aligned with the valve stems! Maybe that's too harsh.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.046763
Mobile Version of Website