Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 19:34 Quote
78° is the sweet spot

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 19:46 Quote
sosburn wrote:
Surprisingly enough it's actually one of the better climbing bikes ive ridden. But that geo really could benefit from some modernity haha
the post about the Enduro wasn't a criticism, honestly just never even noticed it before

Even with a super slack seat-tube angle, it's possible for your hips to be as far forward as you like - the seat-tube just needs to be offset a long way forward. In the case of the Wreckoning, it's not so bad for short riders, but tall riders inadvertently get good at wheelies.

I agree the seat-tube angle of the new Enduro looks slack because of the nearly uninterrupted line. Several reviews have mentioned the new Enduro could have a steeper seat-tube angle, so your observation lines up with reality - at least by current standards.

thunder-nuggets wrote:
78° is the sweet spot

Ah, but it's not that simple! When we see "78°", that's usually the "effective angle", measured level with the head-tube. The actual angle will be slacker, so it won't be 78° from the BB to your butt.

Also, it depends on the bike's rear travel. A hardtail doesn't sag, but suspension sags - and it sags a lot more when your weight shifts rearward on a climb - so long-travel bikes need to start at a steeper angle because they're going to get a lot slacker when you need it most.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 20:13 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
78° is the sweet spot

Ah, but it's not that simple! When we see "78°", that's usually the "effective angle", measured level with the head-tube. The actual angle will be slacker, so it won't be 78° from the BB to your butt.

Also, it depends on the bike's rear travel. A hardtail doesn't sag, but suspension sags - and it sags a lot more when your weight shifts rearward on a climb - so long-travel bikes need to start at a steeper angle because they're going to get a lot slacker when you need it most.[/Quote]
So what does “effective seat angle” mean? My new ride advertises the 77.1* as this. Feels radically steeper than anything I’ve ever tried and is super comfortable and efficient for my 5’7” short arm frame. I feel like I’m sitting tall over the bb and putting a lot less strain on my back. Been knocking 2 min per 30 off my climbs and this is the longest travel bike I’ve ever owned.

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 20:34 Quote
scjeremy wrote:
So what does “effective seat angle” mean? My new ride advertises the 77.1* as this. Feels radically steeper than anything I’ve ever tried and is super comfortable and efficient for my 5’7” short arm frame. I feel like I’m sitting tall over the bb and putting a lot less strain on my back. Been knocking 2 min per 30 off my climbs and this is the longest travel bike I’ve ever owned.

Once upon a time, the seat-tube was a straight tube that came up from the centre of the BB. The angle was the angle - nothing ambiguous about it. Then we started adding kinks and offsets and we lost all ability to compare one bike to another.

The "effective" seat-tube angle is calculated as follows:

• Imagine a horizontal line, level with the top of the head-tube.
• Imagine the point where the seat-tube centerline crosses the horizonal line.
• Measure the angle between this crossing point and the BB. That's the "effective" seat-tube angle.

The "actual seat-tube angle" is the actual angle at which your seatpost inserts into the seat-tube. This could be super slack, yet you may still sit far forward, depending on the "offset", which is how far forward the BB would have to be for the actual seat-tube angle to intersect with the BB.

Unfortunately, there's no standard way to measure the effective seat-tube angle. The height of the head-tube varies. The height of the top of the seat-tube varies. The height of your butt varies.

The only things we can be sure about:

• If you're short, the angle between your butt and the BB - let's call it the 3B angle - will be pretty close to the "effective" seat-tube angle because your butt will be close to the head-tube height.
• If you're tall, the "actual" seat-tube angle has a greater influence on the 3B angle because a lot of seatpost will be extended at that "actual" angle above the head-tube height.
• If both the "effective" and "actual" angles are steep, the 3B angle is going to be very steep.

Examples of steep actual angles include:

Cavalerie Anakin
Nicolai G1
Pole Bushmaster
Pole Evolink series
Pole Machine
Pole Stamina
Privateer 161
Spot Rollik, size XL

And, of course, the Grim Donut.

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 22:03 Quote
New Pivot Switchblade
New Pivot Switchblade

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 22:34 Quote
Im loving pivot’s new straight-tubed frames

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 22:41 Quote
sosburn wrote:
Im loving pivot’s new straight-tubed frames
They are saying that it blows the old Switch away.

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 22:56 Quote
Yeah their old bikes were rather pereganant looking. Definitely an improvement.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 23:05 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
pereganant.

my favorite youtube video hahah

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 2:20 Quote
A lot of veneers went into building that

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 3:04 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
A lot of veneers went into building that
Big Grin

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 7:07 Quote
Wheels look too small..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.051334
Mobile Version of Website