Best Tire Combo?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Best Tire Combo?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 25, 2011 at 2:30 Quote
Please give me some info on what you think is the best tire combo

It would help if you've actually tried it...

So how about you post your tire setup and riding conditions you've tested them in? How do they corner? Do they give when you expect them to? Because my setup doesn't...Minion DHF front and DHR rear. Front tire doesn't corner as well as I'd like. I want something with more bite in the corners. Not a fan of these side knobs, especially in the dh compound. And why is maxxis saying these are 2.5? they're definitely smaller than that.

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 at 2:37 Quote
well as usual ive ridden high roller 2.35 - pretty good but they are rubbish at shedding mud...
My Favourite atm is the Conti Baron 2.3 - looks like a minnion abit - really quite big knobs.... corners predictably and have never lost a front wheel - i am yet to ride it in some real mud - its also a bargain at £17 wire(black chili is ridculous 45quid) they could do with making a bigger one like a 2.5 version to satisfy those who want/ need bigger tyres

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 at 4:28 Quote
Nickhalorider wrote:
well as usual ive ridden high roller 2.35 - pretty good but they are rubbish at shedding mud...
My Favourite atm is the Conti Baron 2.3 - looks like a minnion abit - really quite big knobs.... corners predictably and have never lost a front wheel - i am yet to ride it in some real mud - its also a bargain at £17 wire(black chili is ridculous 45quid) they could do with making a bigger one like a 2.5 version to satisfy those who want/ need bigger tyres

if you'r impressed with the basic compound... the black chilli will blow you away, i wouldn't ride a conti tyre with out it

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 at 5:51 Quote
is it like supertacky
the problem with conti is the really thin side walls - well i find that on my RaceKing

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 at 8:37 Quote
Minion 2.5 DHF super tacky front and rear all the way!

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 at 13:52 Quote
SwintOrSlude wrote:

Agree! They dont work in mud tho.

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 at 13:53 Quote
was gunna get one but i dont think they are a little to wide for my rims maybe

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 at 18:30 Quote
kim1 wrote:
SwintOrSlude wrote:

I'm just disagreeing so strongly. It's good as a rear tire, I think but it should grip more in the corners in the front...

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 at 23:30 Quote
fr3erid3r wrote:
kim1 wrote:
SwintOrSlude wrote:

I'm just disagreeing so strongly. It's good as a rear tire, I think but it should grip more in the corners in the front...

huh ?

Atleast i dont think minions work good in really muddy conditions. This years World Championship was muddy and i dont think riders used minions Razz For mud its cut down spiketires ftw!

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 at 1:06 Quote
i mean to the comment "DHF super tacky front and rear" I disagree strongly

I don't think these hold very well in the hardpack/dry over loose conditions very well.

They stick well on the roots and rocks but on everything else it seems less reliable.

Any experience with Ardent or highroller? Especially the highroller 2, I'm wondering how that rides

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 at 1:19 Quote
RIdden an Advantage if it helps?? - pretty good....something different to HR or Minnion....never lost the front end and even when bold i had it as a rear tyre....love the side lugs.....grip endlessly

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 at 2:52 Quote
Nickhalorider wrote:
RIdden an Advantage if it helps?? - pretty good....something different to HR or Minnion....never lost the front end and even when bold i had it as a rear tyre....love the side lugs.....grip endlessly

What kind of terrain? I feel like I should be running a bigger tire seeing as I'm riding a 9.5 inch travel dh bike. These 2.5 minions look puny but I guess it's ok.

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 at 3:01 Quote
i had it on my trail bike - 2.1 but i believe you can get them in 2.4 - rode to days solid when i got the bike in wales (Afan, Cwm Carn, FOD) dry lots of rocks
its ridden everything as a back tyre tho.

well 2.5inch is big - i reckon it the perfect compromise between speed and grip for a DH bike
go bigger if you need more grip (bigger size means you can run lower preasures

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 at 3:05 Quote
I've been running Intense 909's FRO 2.5 for a little while now on the rear and it just give's amazing grip . I will be going to Intense both end's when my HR need's replacing . the front tyre looks sweet and very moto can't wait to stick it into a corner and see how much before she's brakes

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 at 3:41 Quote
jonnyqt wrote:
I've been running Intense 909's FRO 2.5 for a little while now on the rear and it just give's amazing grip . I will be going to Intense both end's when my HR need's replacing . the front tyre looks sweet and very moto can't wait to stick it into a corner and see how much before she's brakes

Fair enough - I was thinking about them...which compund have you got, arent they like SR CR and SR/CR/SR or something??

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011278
Mobile Version of Website