Best Tire Combo?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Best Tire Combo?
O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2011 at 18:54 Quote
xpirimint wrote:
mbjz wrote:
I run 2.6 Ardent 3C up front and 2.5 Minion 3C in rear and it is a pretty solid combo. Especially for the dirt at Northstar resort which is very loose and dusty. They grip well on the rocks there too. The biggest difference between the Minion and the Ardent is that the Ardent has a significant row of transition knobs that give you a little more feedback than the minion. That being said it is a little bit harder to find the limit of traction on the Ardent versus the Minion. But both are really great tires. Also the 2.6 looks much larger than the minion in the 2.5. The side knobs extend out from the casing by quite a bit. Also it seems the ardent is a newer tire and uses a higer volumer casing than the minion. Just like the High Roller 2 comes in only a 2.4 but is just as large if not larger than the old 2.5 HR and minion casing. I think the newer maxxis tires have a higher volume casing but that is just what I have been noticing. Idk if its true but it sure looks like it.

cool. But you mean a minion dhf or dhr in the rear?
dhf in the rear. sorry forgot to specify. tbh i think the dhr needs a rethink because they just dont work as well as the dhf in the rear or front for that matter

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2011 at 19:01 Quote
I also run a minion dhf 2.5 60A and a higher roller 2.5 60A in the rear when im not racing and it works well in the same conditions as I stated earlier. The highroller rolls a little faster and grips like hell but I did not like it in the front. It seemed to wander when the dirt is loose. The minion dhf is much better for straight line stability which is why I prefer it in the fron over the Highroller. I have also tried the Specialized butchers and they were pretty awesome. Their 2.3 is as wide as a maxxis 2.5 and they are super grippy! Speciaized did a great job with them. They don't feel a whole lot different than the my minion 2.5 3C and they only last about the same amount of time as well lol. I have had a lot of flatting problems with Kenda. Also as far as compounds go, for maxxis I would stick with 60A for training then save the 3C for races. The 60A last super long but still are really grippy. the 3C are obviously more grippy but definitely dont last long

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018883
Mobile Version of Website