What your favourite rear end length on a bmx frame?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
What your favourite rear end length on a bmx frame?
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 4:10 Quote
what r the pro's and con's of both a long rear end and a short rear end.

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 8:25 Quote
First when they sold complete bike the longer end is often the dirt models and the short one the street/park model its all I know but if its shorter its gonna be easier too do bunny hop and spins !

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 8:33 Quote
I have subscribed just out of curiosity . But so far I have ridden long chain stays trail bmx and really short park bmx frames. The middle of the two seems very good for both but when I ride in the far off of the spectrum they feel difficult but still very ride able .

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 13:43 Quote
I have a 13.25" chainstay and I love it for trails, street, and park.

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 13:51 Quote
I give a look on a lot of frame model and there a lot of frame that are almost the same

13.75" Center to center, 13.25" Slammed

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 15:56 Quote
I went from a 13.75 to a 13.0 It's made me improve loads! Big Grin

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 16:05 Quote
I like my 13.125" BTM

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 16:14 Quote
in the past few years of riding ive gone from a 14" rear to my current 13" and i love my frame i have now more than any other, but its down to what u ride really

Posted: Nov 7, 2011 at 1:30 Quote
a shorter backend makes it easier to move around and do stuff like tail wips and spins but it makes the bike less stable because u r shortening the wheel base so the longer the backend the more stable thats y most trail riders or riders that ride bigger ramps tend to have a longer backend were more technical riders usually preffer a shorter backend coz it makes there style of riding easier but really its all down to preference mine is 13.75 and it feels awesome

Posted: Nov 7, 2011 at 5:58 Quote
prenticebmx wrote:
a shorter backend makes it easier to move around and do stuff like tail wips and spins but it makes the bike less stable because u r shortening the wheel base so the longer the backend the more stable thats y most trail riders or riders that ride bigger ramps tend to have a longer backend were more technical riders usually preffer a shorter backend coz it makes there style of riding easier but really its all down to preference mine is 13.75 and it feels awesome

nailed it.

the faster you go, in my opinion, the longer your chainstay should be. you'll loop out easier with a short chainstay.

also, might i add, a short chainstay makes it EASIER to hop, but it gives you less POP. think about it in terms of a catapult, the longer the catapult is, the more tension can be put behind it and the more energy is released when it lets go. a happy medium is 13.5". if you're one of those guys who likes to ride at a normal speed and do lots of manuals you might like a chainstay under 13.5".

my take on short chainstays is they're fun but i have bad center of balance anyways, so i like a tiny bit more stability.

Posted: Nov 7, 2011 at 10:42 Quote
My Superstar Cooper 21" has a 13.2" Backend?

I agree with the other two comments on here, basically having a shorter backend makes spins easier and you are more balanced over the back wheel meaning throwing your front end is easier and manuals are pretty easy. Having a longer back end makes your bike feel like a tank and depending on how long it is and how tall you are, it can make tricks a chore. 13.5" is about somewhere in the middle, but since i've ridden a shorter back end i have definately improved.

Posted: Nov 7, 2011 at 15:40 Quote
top tube length and rear end length are also pretty closely connected, and not just because taller riders tend to ride larger frames.

I ride a bike with a long top tube and a super short rear end (21.5, 13.2). I have been slowly moving the rear end out bit by bit... I'm really used to a longer rear end. Stability is the main difference I notice.

Posted: Nov 7, 2011 at 20:39 Quote
13.4 slammed. im goofy footed, any shorter and i hit me feet of the peg.

Posted: Nov 8, 2011 at 0:02 Quote
ianfleming wrote:
prenticebmx wrote:
a shorter backend makes it easier to move around and do stuff like tail wips and spins but it makes the bike less stable because u r shortening the wheel base so the longer the backend the more stable thats y most trail riders or riders that ride bigger ramps tend to have a longer backend were more technical riders usually preffer a shorter backend coz it makes there style of riding easier but really its all down to preference mine is 13.75 and it feels awesome

nailed it.

the faster you go, in my opinion, the longer your chainstay should be. you'll loop out easier with a short chainstay.

also, might i add, a short chainstay makes it EASIER to hop, but it gives you less POP. think about it in terms of a catapult, the longer the catapult is, the more tension can be put behind it and the more energy is released when it lets go. a happy medium is 13.5". if you're one of those guys who likes to ride at a normal speed and do lots of manuals you might like a chainstay under 13.5".

my take on short chainstays is they're fun but i have bad center of balance anyways, so i like a tiny bit more stability.

and yes i definately agree with ur view on hops too the pop from a shorter frame is way diferent like alot quicker reaction but i strugled to hop as high on the shorter frame now im on a longer one iv ben hoping higher i guess u can have ur front end in the air a tad longer before u get to the point were u r going to loop out maby lol im just guessing thats y hahaha

Posted: Dec 8, 2013 at 23:47 Quote
cheesepreetza wrote:
13.4 slammed. im goofy footed, any shorter and i hit me feet of the peg.

what gear ratio and chain type do you use to slam 13.4

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012966
Mobile Version of Website