What your favourite rear end length on a bmx frame?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
What your favourite rear end length on a bmx frame?
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 9, 2013 at 5:25 Quote
I prefer a rear chainstay length of about 13.375"~13.5".

I used to ride a frame with a 13.2" rear chainstay, and for spins it was alot easier and quicker, but when it came to hopping or doing manuals it became really "unstable", especially at higher speeds.

The thing about short chainstays is that even though it may feel/seem easier to pop the bike up, but that isn't necessarily a good thing, depending on the rider.

Too short of a rear end, it becomes really snappy to hop, and you have more chances of looping out. With a longer rear end, it's not as easy to pop up, but there is that extra time + leverage to pop the bike up nice and high.

For manuals, a shorter chainstay will make manuals feel very sensitive, and require less jerking/movements to balance.
A longer chainstay will make manuals feel more stable, but requires more movements/jerking to balance.

For spins, depending on if you like to be carried with the momentum for spins or if you like to throw/force your spins, shorter rear ends would be better for being carried with the momentum.

OneEyeIlluminatiGuy wrote:
cheesepreetza wrote:
13.4 slammed. im goofy footed, any shorter and i hit me feet of the peg.

what gear ratio and chain type do you use to slam 13.4

I am currently running a 13.375" chainstay (almost 13.4) and I almost have it slammed. Currently am running a 26t sprocket with 9t driver with a half link chain.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009604
Mobile Version of Website