Egg Beater's or Mallets?

• Next Page
Posted: Nov 6, 2011 at 12:53 Quote
Bwick16 wrote:
marquis wrote:
Bwick16 wrote:
Your also paying more for crank brothers but most of there higher end pedals all come with 5 year warranty and I think shimano is only 2?

Shimano are not to be underestimated in terms of quality,however i have heard that the crank brothers offer more float than the shimano units and you might struggle with the switch over.
Yeah honestly I think im going to look into the mallets, I just wish crank brothers didnt change the new design this year

Weigh up the pros and cons of the newer version against the older version and if there are no real benefits go with the older model and save money.

Posted: Nov 6, 2011 at 12:58 Quote
marquis wrote:
Bwick16 wrote:
marquis wrote:

Shimano are not to be underestimated in terms of quality,however i have heard that the crank brothers offer more float than the shimano units and you might struggle with the switch over.
Yeah honestly I think im going to look into the mallets, I just wish crank brothers didnt change the new design this year

Weigh up the pros and cons of the newer version against the older version and if there are no real benefits go with the older model and save money.
thats the issue I cant find any of the old model new anywhere

Posted: Nov 6, 2011 at 16:06 Quote
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Crank-Brothers-Mallet-2-Clipless-Mountain-Bike-Pedals-/270846302077?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0fb2977d

Check eBay, there is quite a few of the last model for sale.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2011 at 17:28 Quote
I have some mallets that I could sell you cheap. Got them at the start of the season. Just didn't like them coming from Shimano. Pm me if you are interested

Posted: Nov 6, 2011 at 22:29 Quote
cdncableguy wrote:
I have some mallets that I could sell you cheap. Got them at the start of the season. Just didn't like them coming from Shimano. Pm me if you are interested
im definatly intrested! can you send me some pics?

Posted: Nov 7, 2011 at 11:39 Quote
Please send pics and all info via pm and not the threads please.Salute

Posted: Nov 12, 2011 at 19:54 Quote
I started on Shimano SPD and transitioned to CB. I started with mallets, and went to candys, then finally eggbeaters.

I agree completely that CB is far less fussy (completely fussless, to be quite honest) and my Shimanos, well, sucked. They were always clogged with something, or needed lube, or had to be adjusted... I'm a big Shimano fan otherwise, but my brain and body and riding style just don't work with SPDs.

So, why did I transition through the CB lineup? My wife's bike came with mallets. I eventually tried them and dropped SPD like a hotcake. Those are good pedals, but they're heavy. They also are a little too much of a compromise, IMO. I'm honestly not sure if mine have facilities to put studs in (aside from me... ahem) but the integrated studs are a little too smooth to get a good grip, and the large platform makes you hunt a bit for the clip-in (which is still faster, and smoother than SPD). Since I'm more of an XC guy, I started to consider eggbeaters. When I went into a shop and asked about some, one of the guys made me an incredible deal on some Ti candys. I ran those for a long time but bought some eggbeaters for my son's bike. I tried them and preferred the feel despite being a little heavier. Now I run eggbeaters, and they're really durable. I don't know where anyone got the idea that they aren't.

With that said, I don't know that I'd do any hard DH and big hit stuff with them simply because I can see the value of a platform in that situation. If you do moderate downhill, well, whatever floats your boat, and if you're an XC guy, nothing beats an eggbeater.

Oh, and float: you can either go slim or fat float depending on how you set the cleats up. The eggbeaters allow you to even slide right out of the sides, but clipping in and out is ultra smooth. Where you have to stick the toe of the clean and then shove down with the SPD, you just roll your foot forward with the CB and you're in. Exiting is the same, but is far easier and smoother with CB... and they don't ever clog. The eggbeaters are incredibly easy to get into; generally speaking, if your foot finds the pedal, you're clipped (since you have 4 clipping areas).

That's just this guys observations and experiences. Again, no hate on Shimano; love their stuff. It's just that CB got this right and got the lock on the mechanism. If Shimano made these pedals, I'd be buying them.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012100
Mobile Version of Website