2 brakes, 4 pegs, gyro, chrome rims, etc... Is it still 1999?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
2 brakes, 4 pegs, gyro, chrome rims, etc... Is it still 1999?
Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 19:18 Quote
So I've decided to venture into an unknown territory and build up a second bike. The goal in mind is to explore some different styles of riding and broaden my horizons. This is my build thread as I document the piecing together of a new cycling device.

Post #1

Long story short, I acquired a free Fit Dak frame and had been thinking of building a second bike for a while. The free frame really set things in motion. My idea from the start was to have a bike that's quite different from my current build (United 40). I've decided to go the route of front and rear brakes, a gyro, 4 pegs and a freecoaster. Without having to pay anything, these are the parts I already had:

Frame: Fit Dak
Stem: Fit S3 Topload
Tires: Fit FAF
Pedals: Free Agent Race
Bottom Bracket: 1664 Mid
Front Hub: Free Agent Race
Levers: Generic

From there, I decided that in the process of building this new bike, I could upgrade some parts on my United. By doing so, I'd be able to throw some of the old parts onto my Dak.

Fit Dak... http www.pinkbike.com forum listcomments threadid 125774 amp pagenum 2 commentid4035692

Post #2

Today was my first trip to my LBS (Transition BMX) to actually put some money into this thing. I purchased the following parts:

-Kool Stop Supra 2 Clear Pads (will be going on my United) ----> Old Kool Stop Original Pads to go on Fit Dak
-Diatech Magic Brake (will be going on my United) ----> Old Tektro Brake to go on Dak
-Diatech Hombre Fiesta Brake
-FBM Double Fister Grips
-1664 Integrated Headset
-KMC 510 HX Chain
-1664 Pivotal Post
-Stolen Thermalite Plastic Pegs (4 in total)
-Fit Tubes
-Profile Cranks (will be going on my United) ----> Old 1664 Cranks to go on Dak
-United Squad Slim Pivotal (will be going on my United) ----> Old Macneil Capital Seat to go on Dak
-Tree Lite Splined Sprocket (will be going on my United) ----> Old Stolen Class Ring Sprocket to go on Dak
-KHE Reverse Freecoaster (on order)

Assorted Goodies... http www.pinkbike.com forum listcomments threadid 125774 amp pagenum 2 commentid4035692

Post #3

Current spec list is as follows:

Forks:
Bars:
Headset: 1664 Integrated
Grips: FBM Double Fister
Barends: FBM
Gyro:
Brakes: Diatech Hombre and Tektro
Brake Levers: Generic Levers
Cranks: 1664
Pedals: Free Agent
Sprocket: Stolen Class Ring
Chain: KMC 510 HX
Seatpost: 1664 Pivotal
Seat: Macneil Capital
Front Rim:
Rear Hub: KHE Reverse Freecoaster (on order)
Rear Rim:
Spokes:
Tires: Fit FAF
Tubes: Fit
Pegs: Stolen Thermalite

Post #4

Colour scheme plans:

Frame: Raw
Forks: Black or White
Bars: Black or White
Stem: Black
Headset: Blue
Grips: Blue
Barends: Black
Brakes: White
Levers: Black
Cranks: White
Pedals: Black
Sprocket: Black
Chain: Chrome
Seatpost: White
Seat: Black
Hubs: White
Rims: Chrome
Spokes: Black
Pegs: Blue

Post #5

So my biggest dilemma of this project seemed to be the front brake situation. After browsing around on BMX Museum for a while today, I came across some guys who have used a 990 brake plate on forks that don't have mounts. It's only $10 USD and will hopefully be able to get the job done.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.albes.com/ProductImages/brakephotos/990PLATES.jpg
My plans are to drill a hole in my Redline Device forks to mount the plate from. I'll see how well it works, and if it isn't quite stiff enough, some small tack welds beside each of the mounts should make for a more solid set-up.

Post #6

Everything (besides the frame) that I've got so far:

Getting there..... http www.pinkbike.com forum listcomments threadid 125774 amp pagenum 2 commentid4035692

Still need rear wheel, front rim, bars, forks, bottom bracket and a gyro. Here's what it'll likely end up as:

-KHE Reverse Coaster to 1664 Rim
-Free Agent Hub to 1664 Rim
-Fit Sky High Bars
-Redline Device Forks
-1664 Mid BB
-SST Gyro

Post #7

I got that 990 brake mount plate. Much to my surprise, and as mentioned beforehand, it is kind of heavy for what it is. It seems like it should work quite well though.

990 Brake Mount Plate

Post #8

Today's Purchases:

-2 Chrome 1664 Rims
-Chrome Eclat Stream Forks (ordered for my United, old Device's for Dak)
-1664 Mid Bottom Bracket
-Chrome S&M Hoder Bars (for my United, old Sky High's for Dak)

Post #9

My coaster is supposed to be in early next week and then it can be laced up.

Forks are supposed to be in at the end of next week and then my old Device's can go on the Dak.

Not sure when I'll get tires as they're out of stock at 1664. I'll throw on some old ones in the meantime if everything else is ready.

All I really need to buy after that is a gyro, but I'm waiting until I have everything else set-up (ex. bars and forks) so I can get the right length of cables.

....But you know how this stuff works, it never ends up going as smoothly as you had hoped. lol

Post #10

This is what the final spec list will likely end up as:

Forks: Redline Device with 990 Brake Plate
Bars: Fit Sky High
Headset: 1664 Integrated
Gyro: SST
Brake Levers: Generic
Cranks: 1664
Sprocket: Stolen Class Ring 25 Tooth
Front Rim: 1664 Chrome
Rear Hub: KHE Reverse Freecoaster
Rear Rim: 1664 Chrome
Spokes: Forged
Tires: 2.1" Fit FAF White Wall

Post #11

I started the actual "building" portion of the project today. This is all I can do right now with the parts I've got. Hopefully I can continue sometime this week when stuff starts to come in.

Dak Attack

Post #12

Rear wheel is done. Looks really good too. I'll post some pictures of it soon.

I was dumb and realized my Free Agent front hub is a 32 hole, rather than a 36 hole so I had to buy something new. I went with a Bicycle Union Kaled and the front wheel should be all built by the middle of this week.

Forks have been delayed but will apparently be in on Monday.

FAF white wall's won't be available until the middle of January. However, I'll be riding some old treads in the meantime.

Post #13

Here's some shots of the rear wheel:

Silence is golden.
Silence is golden.

Post #14

Front wheel is done and the forks for my United have arrived. Building will start to progress in the coming days. I'm getting way too anxious to ride this thing.

Post #15

Front Wheel:

Front Wheel
Front Wheel

Post #16

Dirt tire and a coaster. Ohhhhh yeahhhhh. lol

http www.pinkbike.com forum listcomments threadid 125774 amp pagenum 1

Post # 17

Forks and brake plate have been prepped and sprayed. The hole has also been drilled so the brake plate can be mounted. A smaller and sharper drill bit had to be used to get through the metal. Very tough stuff which I suppose is a good thing. The drill bit that's the same size as the bolt was then used after.

Forks drilled for brake plate and sprayed white.

Post #18

Hopefully soon I'll have some holes drilled and tapped for gyro tabs. I picked up a Dartmoor gyro and some lower cables today. I'll be purchasing the upper cables once the tabs are set up and everything is put together.

I also ended up ordering some white wall Duo tires instead of waiting for the distributor to have stock for Fit FAF's. They should be here in a week or so... Fingers crossed.

Post #19

Got the holes drilled and tapped for the gyro tabs today. It was a big pain measuring and figuring out where they needed to be positioned.

Before
Before

After
After

Post #20

I thought I'd up the anti and rock two dirt tires with a coaster.....

Getting close. I can feeeeeeel it now. http www.pinkbike.com forum listcomments threadid 125774 amp pagenum 1

Just need to throw the pegs (which I've yet to even discover if my big feet will clear) and grips on. I'll be purchasing my upper cables and front brake cable today.

After that, I'll hopefully get my white walls sometime soon and I may spray the sprocket blue.

Post #21

I got the uppers, but didn't get the front brake cable. We played with the brake/gyro for a while to set it up, but it'll need some fine tuning before it's working properly. I threw some grips on and took off the front brake stuff as I was really anxious to ride it. I spent a good while just doing fakies like a 10 year old on my quarterpipe, ha ha. The coaster is engaging on me so it'll have to be opened up to adjust the slack. Other than that, it's going to be a learning curve, but I'm already having lots of fun with it.

Post #22

I had my first proper session on the coaster today and I absolutely love it. I experimented with different amounts of slack and found full slack to be most preferable. The little instruction sheet that came with my Reverse was pretty useless, but I found this tutorial to be quite helpful. More than anything it was probably the photos that made it easy and straightforward. My freecoaster has definitely brought a lot more possibilities to my riding and I'm looking forward to learning some new stuff with it. I can slider and cab/full cab/5 cab on a cassette, but it's a totally different feeling on a coaster. Everything is much more flawless and smooth. I just wish it wasn't Winter so that I could ride outdoors and go for a good street session, ha ha.

As for the gyro set-up, it isn't stopping properly and I believe that's attributed to my upper cables being a bit too long. I'll likely hit up my LBS on Friday to figure things out. As well, my tires will hopefully be in (fingers crossed) and I can get that front brake cable too.

Post #23

Brakes are set up and dialed in as of a couple days ago. I threw the pegs on today too. Just need those tires, ha ha.

Dak Attack

Post #24

I've had the tires for a while now, but I wasn't motivated enough to hobble out to my shop on crutches and put them on until today. lol

Anyways, here's a teaser shot. I'll post a full bike photo with specs tomorrow probably. Sprocket has been sprayed and the white walls are now on. Not much else will be changing for a while anyways.

Teaser Shot

Post #25

Done

Front End

Drivetrain

Rear Wheel

Front Wheel

Raw

Frame: Fit Dak 21"
Forks: Redline Device with 990 Brake Plate
Bars: Fit Sky High
Stem: OG Fit S3 Topload
Headset: 1664 Integrated (one of a kind with text stamped upside down, ha ha)
Gyro: Dartmoor
Brake Levers: Generic
Uppers: SST
Lowers: SST
Cranks: 1664 175mm
Sprocket: Stolen Class Ring 25 Tooth
Front Hub: Bicycle Union Kaled
Front Rim: 1664 Chrome 36 Hole
Rear Hub: KHE Reverse LHD Freecoaster
Driver: KHE 9 Tooth
Rear Rim: 1664 Chrome 36 Hole
Spokes: Generic Forged
Tires: Duo Stunner Lo 2.25”

Mods: Custom drilled gyro tabs and drilled forks for brake plate. Bars were also cut a long time ago, but I'm hoping to get some bar end extenders at some point.

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 19:21 Quote
Sounds sweet, sub'd for pics. I was thinking of doing something like this for my second bike when I feel like building one

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 19:33 Quote
All I can say is I'm looking forward to seeing this. And that you should get a Snafu gyro. Good luck! tup

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 19:37 Quote
Dirt-Street-Park wrote:
All I can say is I'm looking forward to seeing this. And that you should get a Snafu gyro. Good luck! tup
Thanks man. My LBS has an SST gyro kit with the detangler and cables. I'll probably be getting that, but I've also heard some reasonable feedback on the Snafu set-up.

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 19:42 Quote
justin99 wrote:
Dirt-Street-Park wrote:
Thanks man. My LBS has an SST gyro kit with the detangler and cables. I'll probably be getting that, but I've also heard some reasonable feedback on the Snafu set-up.

That's the one for like $20, right? TBH they're pretty terrible... Confused Ah well, it'll do the job.

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 19:44 Quote
Dirt-Street-Park wrote:
justin99 wrote:
Dirt-Street-Park wrote:
That's the one for like $20, right? TBH they're pretty terrible... Confused Ah well, it'll do the job.
Yeah, they're really cheap. I'm going to give it a try as it's the only gyro set-up at Transition. If it's no good, I won't be out too much money and can upgrade to something else.

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 20:16 Quote
I've now got a couple photos up.

Frame:
Fit Dak... http www.pinkbike.com forum listcomments threadid 125774 amp pagenum 2 commentid4035692

Assorted goodies I picked up today:
Assorted Goodies... http www.pinkbike.com forum listcomments threadid 125774 amp pagenum 2 commentid4035692

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 20:28 Quote
Why would you pay money for new pegs for a budget build when there's a bazillion stock pegs floating around you could get for free?

It just seems like the money spent on those pegs could be used elsewhere.2 cents

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 20:50 Quote
Terrible-one 8.85" bars are required for the united!

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 21:02 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
Why would you pay money for new pegs for a budget build when there's a bazillion stock pegs floating around you could get for free?

It just seems like the money spent on those pegs could be used elsewhere.2 cents
They're plastics (cheap to begin with) and I get them practically at cost. Money isn't an issue for that portion of the purchase Mike, ha ha.

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 21:08 Quote
oecta wrote:
I'm unsure of what I'm doing in the bars department at this point. I'd like some taller chrome bars for my United, but my snowbike also needs some taller bars. I might move things around between bikes and see if I can get away with only buying one set of bars. No idea what will end up on the Dak yet. I currently have the following:

-T1's (8.85") on the race bike
-Fit Sky High's (8.25") on the United
-S&M Slam's (8") on the snowbike

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 21:12 Quote
this is going to be soo dope!!!

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 21:14 Quote
justin99 wrote:
oecta wrote:
I'm unsure of what I'm doing in the bars department at this point. I'd like some taller chrome bars for my United, but my snowbike also needs some taller bars. I might move things around between bikes and see if I can get away with only buying one set of bars. No idea what will end up on the Dak yet. I currently have the following:

-T1's (8.85") on the race bike
-Fit Sky High's (8.25") on the United
-S&M Slam's (8") on the snowbike
put the 8" on the dak since it has a topload and put spacers then put the fit bars on the united and then buy new bars for united tup tup tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025810
Mobile Version of Website