2 brakes, 4 pegs, gyro, chrome rims, etc... Is it still 1999?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
2 brakes, 4 pegs, gyro, chrome rims, etc... Is it still 1999?
Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 12:08 Quote
justin99 wrote:
NickBMX15 wrote:
dude who gives a shit what other people think..make ur bike like u want it
I built a bike with a coaster, gyro, two brakes, an old beefy topload stem with no cut-outs, an unslammed seat, an obnoxious brake plate, plastic pegs and shin splitting metal pedals.... Do you really think I based my bike off of trends and what other people think? Razz

I'd argue unslammed seats and possibly metal pedals are making a come back. At least I'm noticing it a lot lately.

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 12:13 Quote
low slung frames are on the way out now too. things are looking up.

pun intended.

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 12:30 Quote
most of the locals here ride high fat seats and metals now.

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 12:32 Quote
It really hasn't caught on here, everyone runs Odyssey twisteds and plastic uncovered seats. Maybe slim Federals or something.

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 12:40 Quote
I run plastics and a high fat seat

/bestofbothworlds

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 14:17 Quote
Yeah i run raised seat with plastics and so does my brother, every other local rider is slammed seat with metal pedals haha

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 15:35 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
justin99 wrote:
NickBMX15 wrote:
dude who gives a shit what other people think..make ur bike like u want it
I built a bike with a coaster, gyro, two brakes, an old beefy topload stem with no cut-outs, an unslammed seat, an obnoxious brake plate, plastic pegs and shin splitting metal pedals.... Do you really think I based my bike off of trends and what other people think? Razz

I'd argue unslammed seats and possibly metal pedals are making a come back. At least I'm noticing it a lot lately.

On my bike,I have always ran a unslammed seat,brakes,metal pedals and chrome bars,don't care for trends or what the kids think.

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 15:36 Quote
spyke wrote:
On my bike,I have always ran a unslammed seat,brakes,metal pedals and chrome bars,don't care for trends or what the other kids think.
what you're doing isn't a trend?

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 16:43 Quote
Yo justin,

You didn't have any problems with tire clearance or dialing in the brakes with that adapter plate? I read in a few posts back that you said you might tack weld the plate as well. Did you ever wind up doing that? I think I might go with one of those, rather than shelling out 200 for a new set of forks. The problem is, I haven't been able to find matching front and rear brake levers anywhere. Gotta keep it symmetrical.

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 16:44 Quote
true-biker-face wrote:
spyke wrote:
On my bike,I have always ran a unslammed seat,brakes,metal pedals and chrome bars,don't care for trends or what the other kids think.

Just because you don't follow a trend doesn't make an anti-trend a trend by virtue of its existence.

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 17:03 Quote
true-biker-face wrote:
spyke wrote:

I have been setting up my bikes the same way longer than you have been alive.I set my bike up the way I like it,regardless what the current trend is.

I also don't wear skinny jeans either.

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 17:04 Quote
sorry I caused shit on your thread justin. I'll go elsewhere now lol

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 18:11 Quote
Trust-in-WTP wrote:
Yo justin,

You didn't have any problems with tire clearance or dialing in the brakes with that adapter plate? I read in a few posts back that you said you might tack weld the plate as well. Did you ever wind up doing that? I think I might go with one of those, rather than shelling out 200 for a new set of forks. The problem is, I haven't been able to find matching front and rear brake levers anywhere. Gotta keep it symmetrical.
Yeah, no issues with tire clearance for the plate. The Duo tires I'm running now are 2.25". They're very low profile though. If you're worried about it, 2.1" is definitely a safe bet.

I didn't end up doing the tack welds as the plate doesn't move around and feels pretty stiff as it is with the single bolt. You can always use a couple zip ties if you want to prevent it even more so from moving, ha ha. Mind you though, I haven't really done any drops or have had any hard landings yet, so the plate hasn't really had the opportunity to move.

As for the levers, mine aren't the same either. They're both different. However, you could always just run a regular lever flipped, rather than using a front specific one. Only problem with that though is you've got to see how smooth it is underneath.

Posted: Jan 24, 2012 at 18:48 Quote
Trust-in-WTP wrote:
Yo justin,

Try flatland sites like flatlandfuel.com for front levers or matched sets.

Posted: Jan 25, 2012 at 3:29 Quote
Odyssey monolevers come in a right-hand or left-hand version. Salute
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50887

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011231
Mobile Version of Website