Rear Disc Mount Frame Adapter

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rear Disc Mount Frame Adapter
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 6, 2011 at 13:48 Quote
I have a 1999 rocky mountain spice frame that im building up, The frame has rear mounts for a disc adapter, I was just wondering if those adapter peices are Universal or specific? The brakes are shimano if that helps. Thanks!

Posted: Nov 6, 2011 at 14:25 Quote
perfect, I appreciate the help man

Posted: Nov 7, 2011 at 9:11 Quote
n-lagasse wrote:
I have a 1999 rocky mountain spice frame that im building up, The frame has rear mounts for a disc adapter, I was just wondering if those adapter peices are Universal or specific? The brakes are shimano if that helps. Thanks!

There were several disc mount "standards" in 1999, most of which are not currently being used.

Does your frame have disc tabs (mounts) or does it have holes where a disc mount can be bolted on? It was also common for frames of that era to use bolt-on disc mounts that where specific to the frame--and now hard to find.

If your caliper will not bolt straight on, you are likely SOL.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2011 at 10:43 Quote
sonicsloth wrote:
universal, dude.

wrong answer man. No they are not universal, as stated above in 99 they were less standard than they are now, and even now it depends on brake and rotor size.

Maybe post a pic of your mount and we can possibly help you find the right adaptor

Posted: Nov 7, 2011 at 12:26 Quote
jagarcia89 wrote:
sonicsloth wrote:
universal, dude.

wrong answer man. No they are not universal, as stated above in 99 they were less standard than they are now, and even now it depends on brake and rotor size.

Maybe post a pic of your mount and we can possibly help you find the right adaptor

my understanding was that he was asking if the interface between the adapters and the brakes was specific to the brake brand, which it isn't. not the interface between the adapter and the frame. I took it for granted he knows you need to match the adapter to the size of the rotor and the interface standard of the caliper.

though, looking back, the question is quite ambiguous - could you clarify, lagasse?

Posted: Nov 8, 2011 at 13:16 Quote
sonicsloth wrote:
jagarcia89 wrote:
sonicsloth wrote:
universal, dude.

my understanding was that he was asking if the interface between the adapters and the brakes was specific to the brake brand, which it isn't. not the interface between the adapter and the frame. I took it for granted he knows you need to match the adapter to the size of the rotor and the interface standard of the caliper.

though, looking back, the question is quite ambiguous - could you clarify, lagasse?
In '99 many disc brakes DID have mounts that were specific to the brand. You had to be sure to buy the brand/model brake that would work with the mounts on your frame/fork. There were at least 3-4 "popular" specs.

Posted: Nov 8, 2011 at 18:48 Quote
photos coming soon! but basically its two holes that open perpendicular (open through side to side) to the frame, where as my shimano brake mounts open parallel (open through top to bottom), I know it requires the basic adapter, just not too sure which one would fit,

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2011 at 19:42 Quote
sounds promising, Sound like a standard mount, any chance you could measure the distance between said holes on the frame??? I'm 90% sure it's standard at this time but just wanna be sure. Which rotor are your running and I'll get you a part ###

Posted: Nov 8, 2011 at 19:45 Quote
approx 4.75 inches make sense?

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2011 at 19:56 Quote
n-lagasse wrote:

no.... the holes on the frame are 4.75"??? thats not right. get a good tape measure or calipers and measure. Don't just guess. Or were you saying thats your rotor size? Either way that number would not be a heard of measurement.

Posted: Nov 8, 2011 at 20:03 Quote
sorry, thats the distance between the holes

Posted: Nov 8, 2011 at 20:57 Quote
n-lagasse wrote:
None at all. IS disc mounts are 51mm apart (~2.0").

Posted: Nov 9, 2011 at 8:18 Quote
I dont know how I managed to measure that so inaccurately.... I remeasured it and its (~2.0") which leads me to beleive it is an IS disc mount, thanks everybody for the help, I realize I've made this harder than it needs to be. PS I dont have a camera so I've been waiting to borrow one.

Posted: Nov 9, 2011 at 8:21 Quote
n-lagasse wrote:
I dont know how I managed to measure that so inaccurately.... I remeasured it and its (~2.0") which leads me to beleive it is an IS disc mount, thanks everybody for the help, I realize I've made this harder than it needs to be. PS I dont have a camera so I've been waiting to borrow one.
In '99 there was the Formula "standard", which used 49mm hole spacing and a different distance from the axle. Totally incompatible with current brakes.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012475
Mobile Version of Website