Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 20:57 Quote
truffles wrote:
If you were getting a bike for dirtjumping
would you get a mtb with 24"s
or a bmx
don't just state one or the other
please explain...

one, because the other SUCKS.

actually, depends on what kind of jumps you ride, and it really boils down to personal preference - an mtb would probably be less harsh on you because they're bigger wheels, and it's got slacker geo and usually, a front suspension fork. plus, it's more enjoyable to ride to the jumps themselves, if it's a mission. my local dirt jumps are really rough, so no one really uses a bmx there.

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 20:59 Quote
how do you think the 24" would do with a rigid fork?

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 12:39 Quote
how soon do you want to know. i could tell you next summer? building dirt jumps in the spring its way too wet now

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 19:20 Quote
24's with rigid fork, just imagine a bmx feel with mtb geometry, personally i think puting a rigid fork on a mtb is plain pointless unless your like 7 feet tall and bmx is retarted for you to ride. Whats the point of riding a massive rigid mtb when you could be progressing way faster on a bmx.(for park riding, tailwhips 360s ect.) Id say either ride a mtb with a real fork or get a bmx.

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 19:25 Quote
waterfall99 wrote:
personally i think puting a rigid fork on a mtb is plain pointless unless your like 7 feet tall and bmx is retarted for you to ride. Whats the point of riding a massive rigid mtb when you could be progressing way faster on a bmx.(for park riding, tailwhips 360s ect.) Id say either ride a mtb with a real fork or get a bmx.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album01/Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg
Seriously, different people like different things.

Posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 7:57 Quote
waterfall99 wrote:
24's with rigid fork, just imagine a bmx feel with mtb geometry, personally i think puting a rigid fork on a mtb is plain pointless unless your like 7 feet tall and bmx is retarted for you to ride. Whats the point of riding a massive rigid mtb when you could be progressing way faster on a bmx.(for park riding, tailwhips 360s ect.) Id say either ride a mtb with a real fork or get a bmx.

well why do people dj with 26" wheels? its so retarded but people still do it.
and riding a rigid 24" is more progressive and better than a 26" mtb but has stability and a smoother ride than a bmx, and you can still ride it around comfortably

Posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 9:55 Quote
I agree, i ride 24's and its sick, Im just not a fan of rigid forks on mtbs. Im sure it'd feel very bmxish in a more stable way, i guess thats a good thing if thats what your into.

Posted: Nov 14, 2011 at 7:14 Quote
scotteh wrote:
If you were getting a bike for dirtjumping
would you get a mtb with 24"s
or a bmx
don't just state one or the other
please explain...

Ok Scotteh. Here's the breakdown.

If you were getting a bike for dirt jumping, and nothing else.....
The size of the wheel is 100% unimportant and irrelevant. What is important is the geometry of the frame, and how the rest of the bike is set up.

For instance, if you're riding a 20" you're going to look for a longer frame. Maybe a 21" TT, and most definitely a longer CS, and lower BB. This gives the bike it's stability both in the air, and at higher speeds. I'll use the S@M 38 Special as an example. It boasts a BB Height: 11.5", and a Chainstay: 14.5" - 15.25, and a Top tube: 21,5"

An S@M WTF frame has a Top tube: 20.5", and a Chainstay: 13.5 - 13.75". Being shorter with a higher standover makes this frame more flickable and nimble, but unstable in the air and at speed.

There are very big differences between a 24" BMX cruiser, and a 24" MTB. HUUUUGE! differences. In fact, comparing the two together (rigid fork or not) is just silly. They are two completely different bikes, built with two different purposes in mind, and two very different sets of geometry. There are some subtle similarities though. On a 24" BMX bike, and an MTB, most companies try to keep the BB about 11.5" to 12" height. If you stayed consistent in scale going up from a 20" wheel, you would have BB rise instead of BB drop. The higher the BB, the less stable the bike will be based on the position and weight of the rider. The difference between the two is more or less the front end. Most BMX 24" frames center around a 415mm ATC fork. MTB's have a standard of about 465mm ATC. So you can see that there is a huge difference.

Now, if you were wanting a 24" BMX that rides like a 20" street BMX, then I would go with a Sunday Model C. Those are exact scaled up versions of a 20" street bike and feature similar standover and about a 20mm BB rise. If you want a 24" MTB that rides the same and works well with a low A2C fork, then you should go with an NS because it features a 110mm DO spacing. So any BMX hub will work.

Ultimately though, it should be said that it comes down to the skill of the rider. Buying a bike that's specific for your needs is only the smallest part of the game. It's only gonna help a small bit, but punch your pocket book straight in the face!

Posted: Nov 14, 2011 at 7:34 Quote
waterfall99 wrote:

Such a retarded statement. You obviously don't know shit about bikes other than your ability to ride them.
Giving advice on setting one up most definitely isn't a strong point.
If one has no clue what one is talking about...... One shouldn't talk.

Sorry, but this statement was just plain dumb, and you've made any one else who just read it dumber than they were before they did.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013000
Mobile Version of Website