Hope Tech M4 bleeding problem

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hope Tech M4 bleeding problem
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 4:43 Quote
Hi!

Im having problem with my brakes. I followed all steps from their online vids, even mail directly to hope, but they wasnt much help. No matter what i do, the lever of brake feels spongy and lacking power. I also checked if pads are contaminated. Did also caliper aligment. I managed to pull some air out of claiper with syringe, the lever felt quite firm and brake had lots of power. Than 2 days with no riding on the bike, lever again feels spongy with no power.

What i read from other experiences on forums, they all got problems with seals. Before i buy sels and overhaul the whole brake, id like some opinions from people who had same brakes, with same problems. Its strange that seals going worn out, becaus brake is only one year old.

Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 9:57 Quote
i have hope tech v2 and have the same problem as you ive tried bleeding them again and again still same thing .emailed hope no responce. im going to get new brakes because hope are crap. ive used hope for years with no problems but they have messed these up. i had them 4 months and they have never works right

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 10:19 Quote
Try bleeding them the old fashioned way without the syringe.
Have a bottle attached to the caliper bleed nipple with the spanner on it but the nipple closed.
Have the master cylinder set horizontal on the bar with the cap off it.
pull and hold the lever as you do undo the bleed nipple enough that fluid comes through then close it again before letting go of the lever. Do this until you have flusehd the system throught just keep an eye on the master cyclinder as the fluid level will drop so keep topping it up.

One last thing if you have the tech lever once you put the brake back together spin the master cylinder vertical and pull the lever a few times, then top the resovior back up. This is becase the tech lever is flip flop the port is in a slightly differnt place.

Hope this helps my v2s are the easiest to work on brake i own.

Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 10:22 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
Try bleeding them the old fashioned way without the syringe.
Have a bottle attached to the caliper bleed nipple with the spanner on it but the nipple closed.
Have the master cylinder set horizontal on the bar with the cap off it.
pull and hold the lever as you do undo the bleed nipple enough that fluid comes through then close it again before letting go of the lever. Do this until you have flusehd the system throught just keep an eye on the master cyclinder as the fluid level will drop so keep topping it up.

One last thing if you have the tech lever once you put the brake back together spin the master cylinder vertical and pull the lever a few times, then top the resovior back up. This is becase the tech lever is flip flop the port is in a slightly differnt place.

Hope this helps my v2s are the easiest to work on brake i own.
yes i did it the old way its the only way i know and ive done all the steps you say mate

Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 11:15 Quote
baz666 wrote:
Have you watched the video?

http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_56.html
yes done that . Not to sound rude but ive bleed many brakes . thanks anyway

Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 11:17 Quote
superbikes wrote:
baz666 wrote:

Maybe the thread owner has not. Ah yes he has Redface

Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 12:00 Quote
baz666 wrote:
superbikes wrote:
baz666 wrote:

Maybe the thread owner has not. Ah yes he has Redface
yes he has indeed

Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 12:47 Quote
Thnx for advice Shoe2190 but already done that. Superbikes will you overhaul them, maybe stock seals were all bad in some of the series we have.

Did you just bleed them, or do the whole service. Or maybe giving them to your LBS or hope dealer in your country.

I really dont wanna give up on them, because when they work they are superb brakes.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 13:18 Quote
alioo wrote:
Thnx for advice Shoe2190 but already done that. Superbikes will you overhaul them, maybe stock seals were all bad in some of the series we have.

Did you just bleed them, or do the whole service. Or maybe giving them to your LBS or hope dealer in your country.

I really dont wanna give up on them, because when they work they are superb brakes.

Does the fluid come back out clear still or has it turned black? A mate of mine had m4s and even after 2 or 3 days the fluid came out black

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 0:55 Quote
Yes it comes out a little black, but not much, this is normal i think?

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 1:19 Quote
Dude I had this problem alot it's the seals, havi g mine changed at the moment

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 1:51 Quote
Really, ok thnx a lot for all your replys. Will order some selas and tools, and overhaul the whole brake. But its very strange for one year seals to be fault. Must be factory seals that are damaged.

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 2:32 Quote
alioo wrote:
Really, ok thnx a lot for all your replys. Will order some selas and tools, and overhaul the whole brake. But its very strange for one year seals to be fault. Must be factory seals that are damaged.
let us know if changeing the seals works if so i will do mine before i give up .PS my oil is allways clear not black. i allso have to have the lever reach right out to get anykind of power

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 2:42 Quote
would also try phoning hope in my experience they are pretty helpful

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011091
Mobile Version of Website