Rockshox Argyle in the winter

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Rockshox Argyle in the winter
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 23, 2011 at 9:54 Quote
so early this year i got an argyle 318 during summer; a 2008 with silver stanchions. since it started to get cold i noticed that it gets seized up, like those cheap suntour forks.. so i gave it a good throughout service, with no change.

so i decided to play arround with the oil weight in the damper, putting 2.5wt, but still it would leave me with 5mm suspension in -10c. thought that mabye it was my oil seals so i got some enduro seals (those with blue dust wipers) broke the seals in... and with no improvement. i decided it might be the spring stiffness, so i got a medium blue spring for it. and the fork would be as soft as a pike indoors, but stiff as a rigid outside.

i was wondering, is this due to the stanchion coating? or is it that RS uses a real cheap damper in the fork? i never had these problems with my marzo DJ2 from 2002, or my manitou sherman firefly.

does anybody run their argyles in the cold? do you guys experience the same? maybe the air ones might be different. i know is a DJ fork designed to blast through summer.. but man it feels so cheap-

(those that run domains or marzo with silver stanchions, do you guys experience the same issues in winter?)

thanks !Salute

Posted: Nov 25, 2011 at 4:34 Quote
as if its possible to ride in -10

Posted: Nov 25, 2011 at 8:55 Quote
filyo wrote:
I ride even if it's -30

Posted: Nov 25, 2011 at 12:13 Quote
mattmini wrote:
filyo wrote:
I ride even if it's -30

yeah, thats why i think at -30 its gonna be pure rigid..

Mattmini, does ur 318 do the same thing on the cold?

i figure it has to be the stanchions/seals and im gonna try silicone spray

Posted: Nov 25, 2011 at 16:02 Quote
Well I've only had mine since the summer and it hasn't gotten that cold yet only like just below zero but I haven't had any issues like that at all and I have lowered mine to about 90mm

Posted: Dec 5, 2011 at 19:00 Quote
my 302 is at 80, in the summer its fine but now that its cold mine also gets stiff, i have only ever had this problem with a spring fork but never with an air fork so i just deal with it till it warms up or get get an air fork

Posted: Dec 5, 2011 at 19:36 Quote
i ran all last winter on my argyle and had no problems whatsoever even at -25

Posted: Dec 5, 2011 at 19:54 Quote
mattmini wrote:
filyo wrote:
I ride even if it's -30
Watch out guys, we're dealing with a badass over here.

Posted: Dec 5, 2011 at 20:10 Quote
Mudlovin wrote:
i ran all last winter on my argyle and had no problems whatsoever even at -25

was yours air?

so an update for the silicone spray, i used it on the stanchions, which slightly helped, but at -15c the forks are almost solid, there is still motion for the first 20mm of travel, but this is veeery sluggish. decided to disable the motion control, by removing the floodgate. problem still persists when very low temperatures, but its slight better

i think the seals friction plus the oil in the rebound and the spring all act together to make the argyle seize.

im starting to believe that the spring is the main reason. but if urs dont freeze, mudlovin, then i dont know anymore..

Posted: Dec 5, 2011 at 20:29 Quote
ttimmer wrote:
mattmini wrote:
filyo wrote:
I ride even if it's -30
Watch out guys, we're dealing with a badass over here.
Yes you are

Posted: Dec 6, 2011 at 0:49 Quote
filyo wrote:

Ski-bikes....And lots of people ride in the cold.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011084
Mobile Version of Website