Ironhorse Sunday Problem!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Ironhorse Sunday Problem!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 25, 2011 at 16:37 Quote
Hey pinkbike, just as the title says, I need your help here. I just bought a 2009 Ironhorse Sunday WC frame and went to install a 2012 Rockshox Vivid Air into it but the shocks air can rubs up against the inside of the frame so I'm not too sure what to do as I can not mount it in the top pivots. I though that the Vivid Air was the same width as a coil shock? The previous owner had a 2011 Rockshox Vivid Coil so I don't see why its doing this. Any suggestions on what to do? I've thought about grinding that area out to make clearance but i don't want to ruin or weaken the frame. Here's some pics:

My new frame - 2009 Ironhorse Sunday WC and 2012 Rockshox Vivid Air. Looks great and I m sure it ll ride great but the shocks air can rubs up against the inside of the frame so I m not too sure what to do as I can not mount it in the top pivots. Looks like I ll be doing some filing and grinding down

As you can see, all i have is like a 2mm gap between the frame and air can and that is without having it even close to lining up to the mounting holes!

My new frame - 2009 Ironhorse Sunday WC and 2012 Rockshox Vivid Air. Looks great and I m sure it ll ride great but the shocks air can rubs up against the inside of the frame so I m not too sure what to do as I can not mount it in the top pivots. Looks like I ll be doing some filing and grinding down

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2011 at 17:25 Quote
Keep it raw so we can be twins Wink

Shitty deal. I certainly would not want to take a grinder to it. I'd just run the viv coil...

Posted: Nov 25, 2011 at 17:32 Quote
ritchierich wrote:

Shitty deal. I certainly would not want to take a grinder to it. I'd just run the vivid coil...

Ahhhha i like that idea Wink but i want a stealthy looking bike with a flat black colour scheme! But as for getting a coil Vivid, i would but i just blew $500 on this Vivid Air so unless i can make back what i paid, looks like ill be doing some grinding over the christmas break! I think this is the only Sunday with a Vivid Air too so i want to keep it unique Razz

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 6:32 Quote
beeboo wrote:
ritchierich wrote:

Shitty deal. I certainly would not want to take a grinder to it. I'd just run the vivid coil...

Ahhhha i like that idea Wink but i want a stealthy looking bike with a flat black colour scheme! But as for getting a coil Vivid, i would but i just blew $500 on this Vivid Air so unless i can make back what i paid, looks like ill be doing some grinding over the christmas break! I think this is the only Sunday with a Vivid Air too so i want to keep it unique Razz

I can lend you a shock if need be. until you sell your new Vivid for something that will fit. Just an option, especially if you would like to ride it asap. Ill be home later today, just heading out. We'll get together!

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 8:06 Quote
Problem Solved
http://www.dsp-racing.com/products-01.html

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 8:57 Quote
motoman2 wrote:
Problem Solved

Maybe but im not really looking to switch shocks. I really want to make this work!

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 9:28 Quote
You got no option but to grind the frame down.

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 9:34 Quote
'Then unless you are willing to grind away at your new frame there is no other options , is the Air shock bought from new? If so get a refund if not sell it don't take a grinder to your frame man!
If you are willing to grind that much material from your frame for the reasons you stated above , regarding being ' unique ' and ' all black' you are mentally challenged Razz

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 9:36 Quote
beeboo wrote:
ritchierich wrote:

Not gonna fit bud. I wouldn't recommend grinding your frame . If you really want air go dhx or cane creek maybe...Just sell the shock as new and get your money back.

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 9:40 Quote
Im stelling you, get the dueler shock dude. It is 400 bucks with a ti spring, nothing but good reviews. No pedal platform so it is one of the most sensitive shocks on the market.

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 10:34 Quote
I had a sunday before and if i were in your situation i would grind the frame down a bit. That section on the sunday is quite beffy so i wouldnt worry. Look at what others has done to the sidewalls. The air shouldnt be that much wider than the coil, only the valve should be wider in diameter than a coil sprin atleast according to sram, the coil version had problems with fittning if you used a higher rate spring than 400.

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 15:57 Quote
motoman2 wrote:
Problem Solved

+1. I have one of those myself and it's better than any DHX, Roco or Vivid (I haven't tried a Vivair though) shocks I've tried. I know about a guy running a Dueler on his Sunday, looks like it's working good for him. Smile

Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 19:12 Quote
you should put ur updated pics on man
beeboo wrote:
motoman2 wrote:
Problem Solved

Maybe but im not really looking to switch shocks. I really want to make this work!

Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 23:04 Quote
Mudlovin wrote:
beeboo wrote:
motoman2 wrote:
Problem Solved

I agree! Hey everyone, with a few modification of grinding and filing down the CNC machines seat post area, I was able to get my shock to fit. It has like 3mm of clearance on both sides which is good enough and the shock can travel through its whole stroke without any problems. Big thanks to oldschoolj for helping me make this happen!

2009 IronHorse Sunday WC with a 2012 Rockshox Vivid Air installed. After 10 hours of filing and grinding down the inside on the CNC seat post area and flipping the DW-Link since the shock wasn t get a full stroke length it finally fits. Big thanks to oldschoolj for helping me out to make this happen

2009 IronHorse Sunday WC with a 2012 Rockshox Vivid Air installed. After 10 hours of filing and grinding down the inside on the CNC seat post area and flipping the DW-Link since the shock wasn t get a full stroke length it finally fits. Big thanks to oldschoolj for helping me out to make this happen

Posted: Dec 10, 2011 at 7:58 Quote
When he says filing and grinding, it was with a very fine file and Dremel with a fine grind, almost polishing bit. No heat and minimal removal of material. It also helped that he discovered that the DW-LINK was installed upside down by the previous owner resulting in the shock losing about 1"-11/2" of stroke. So surprised once we flipped it, everything came together perfect. can't wait to see the full build, the parts list is damn awesome!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019174
Mobile Version of Website