Sealed bike drive gearing

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Sealed bike drive gearing
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 1, 2011 at 11:12 Quote
HI what do you think about the idea of having a low profile gear mech and sealing the whole drive ?
Please let me know that you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDuWn2ncOp8

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 at 10:06 Quote
What are the advantages?

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 at 10:08 Quote
Less maintenance less cleaning,but it will be a pain to adjust.

Posted: Dec 3, 2011 at 4:00 Quote
Less likely to get damaged so ajustment should not be a problem, chain will not get dirty if properly sealed.
Also will be more efficent than standard Derailluar as once your chain gets dirty you loose 10-15% of efficency
Also chain and sprockets will last a lot longer, I have also solved the problems regarding how rear wheel can be removed easily if you get a punture, So all positive apart from fact that frame design needs minor modifications to get gearing to work in low profile setting.
Now only need to find a manufacturer?
Any one out there think they can help I am willing to make it worth there while if they can help in this idea?

Posted: Dec 3, 2011 at 7:24 Quote
aljoburr wrote:
Less likely to get damaged so ajustment should not be a problem, chain will not get dirty if properly sealed.
Also will be more efficent than standard Derailluar as once your chain gets dirty you loose 10-15% of efficency
Also chain and sprockets will last a lot longer, I have also solved the problems regarding how rear wheel can be removed easily if you get a punture, So all positive apart from fact that frame design needs minor modifications to get gearing to work in low profile setting.
Now only need to find a manufacturer?
Any one out there think they can help I am willing to make it worth there while if they can help in this idea?

My guess is to contact small mfrs first and put the idea to them.

Posted: Dec 3, 2011 at 13:24 Quote
Have been trying that, Spoke to Hope as they are working on hubs, sprockets and stuff. So they could build it with my help. But soon as mentioned that I had patened the idea were not interested in talking to me any more.
So responce has been bit negitive so far

Posted: Dec 3, 2011 at 13:26 Quote
aljoburr wrote:
Have been trying that, Spoke to Hope as they are working on hubs, sprockets and stuff. So they could build it with my help. But soon as mentioned that I had patened the idea were not interested in talking to me any more.
So responce has been bit negitive so far

You design something for mtb and would think it was sense to patent it,maybe hope were after a quick cheap buck.

Posted: Dec 3, 2011 at 13:31 Quote
Well they are not in it for a quick buck, but maybe I did not speak right person, i though head designer would be right person, but one of the owner's may be the way to go.

Posted: Dec 3, 2011 at 13:33 Quote
aljoburr wrote:
Well they are not in it for a quick buck, but maybe I did not speak right person, i though head designer would be right person, but one of the owner's may be the way to go.

Agreed.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005902
Mobile Version of Website