Raceface atlas cranks xtype wobble/play in non driveside arm

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Raceface atlas cranks xtype wobble/play in non driveside arm
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 4, 2011 at 8:48 Quote
Hi,

Ive got a pair of raceface atlas cranks arms, ive noticed there is considerable wobble in the non driveside arm (attached to the bb axle)

is there a fix for this or do i need new cranks?

Cheers

Posted: Dec 6, 2011 at 11:25 Quote
Is it definitely the arm on the axle? Those cranks are well built so i'd be surprised.
I think it would be more likely to be the BB on that side that need replacing.

Posted: Dec 6, 2011 at 12:31 Quote
Are you feeling this with the crankset installed? Like above I would think its more likely to be your bb bearing but if you remove your cranks and can feel the play in your arm and spindle then I would say its time to see what Race Face can do for you.

Just make sure the play you are feeling isn't coming from your bb or even your pedal..

Posted: Dec 6, 2011 at 13:10 Quote
Yeah ive got the cranks out of the BB, and its definatly the axle! what do you think i should do?

cheers
josh

Posted: Dec 6, 2011 at 13:34 Quote
Joshwilli wrote:
Yeah ive got the cranks out of the BB, and its definatly the axle! what do you think i should do?

cheers
josh

Mail them to me......

Seriously, though take them back where you bought them. It might be a warranty issue.... Or email RaceFace and see what they say

Posted: Dec 6, 2011 at 13:47 Quote
Yeah probably best to contact Raceface, the axle is probably press fitted or something into the arms and therefore it is most likely not repairable, but they will be able to confirm, they may replace if it is a fault or some companies have a crash replacement policy too.

I just found this old mtbr thread http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/new-raceface-next-xc-crankset-497754.html
part the way down a guy (mxracer33x) who had a similar problem with a deus chainset got his cranks replaced by Raceface

Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 4:33 Quote
I bought them 2nd hand of here Confused when i got them they were perfect and ive not done any serious riding on them, do you still think its worth emailing them about it?

Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 5:55 Quote
Joshwilli wrote:
I bought them 2nd hand of here Confused when i got them they were perfect and ive not done any serious riding on them, do you still think its worth emailing them about it?

Yeah but they are second hand but it won't hurt to try.

Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 8:53 Quote
Joshwilli wrote:

Probably shouldn't tell Race Face they are second hand.... Maybe they would offer you a crash replacement for cheap..

Posted: Dec 11, 2011 at 8:27 Quote
just emailed them now, ill let you know what they say!
cheers guys!

Posted: Jul 16, 2012 at 12:52 Quote
Hey, did RF ever replace theses? I have the exact same issue. Cheers,

Posted: Aug 9, 2012 at 6:07 Quote
I didn't think I would ever hear of these breaking or failing. Wow. Mine are so solid it feels like standing on tube welds. Are you 100% sure that they're tight enough? I was blown away by how much torque it took to seat them all the way. I highly doubt you damaged the crank but more that likely need a new bb. Just a thought but maybe they're toast. Good luck guys. I'm astounded as these things are B52 bomber tough.

A/

Posted: Aug 12, 2012 at 4:36 Quote
Hi guys,

Sorry about the delay in reply, not been on here for a while!

sostafari: Raceface wouldnt replace the cranks but they offered a crash replacement. However, as i didnt want another set of raceface cranks I turned it down! So I sold them on here, however the guy I sold them too managed to fix them by hitting the crank of the axle, applying nutlock (or equivalent) and hammering it back on and apparently there as as solid as ever!

neex : I thought the same, they were so solid! but yeah, it was definatly not the BB as i had them out and there was wobble bettween the axle and crank arm!

Josh

Posted: Aug 13, 2012 at 14:20 Quote
I assume they turned you down because you weren't the original owner or was there another reason. It would be nice to know if I might be thrown a curve ball on the lifetime warranty down the road. I own mine however. You sold a busted crank to someone who gladly fixed it. Great turn out for all. That rarely happens with snapped part sales....

Thanks,
Andrew.
Joshwilli wrote:
Hi guys,

Sorry about the delay in reply, not been on here for a while!

sostafari: Raceface wouldnt replace the cranks but they offered a crash replacement. However, as i didnt want another set of raceface cranks I turned it down! So I sold them on here, however the guy I sold them too managed to fix them by hitting the crank of the axle, applying nutlock (or equivalent) and hammering it back on and apparently there as as solid as ever!

neex : I thought the same, they were so solid! but yeah, it was definatly not the BB as i had them out and there was wobble bettween the axle and crank arm!

Josh

Posted: Aug 30, 2012 at 18:58 Quote
Just received my brand new pair of atlas cranks on warranty. Took 4 weeks but they're here and they were free. I was the second owner of the cranks. I had my lbs send them in for me. I'm friendly w the mechanics in there so they took care of it for me no problem. The loose ones were ten years old but I always remember race face's lifetime warranty on cranks. I still have a pair of their original xc cranks on myb17 year old hard tail. Apparently race face went bankrupt so they were bought by Easton but I guess still operate as they always had.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014676
Mobile Version of Website