Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: May 10, 2019 at 2:45 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:
So Saracen have refused to warranty my Ariel. They say it's impact damage from a hard hit. I know for sure this hasn't happened, and if it is from an impact it can only have been from small stones thrown up by my front tire as would happen on any normal ride.

But as I can't prove I haven't crashed it into something it looks like I'm shit out of luck. I can't believe they didn't spec a plastic down tube protector like every other carbon bike out there. I had taped some inner tube to the bike in an effort to protect the area. Phoned them up and they're taking a second look at it but I'm not getting my hopes up. Will update with how this goes. They're also looking into crash replacement but I simply don't have any more money. They have offered to find me a place that would repair it but again I'd have to pay for this. I'm lucky I still have my old frame.

Managed to ride it a grand total of 7 times, 98.1 miles. Can't say how gutted I am, three months wages down the shitter just because they can't be arsed to spec a 50p bit of plastic where it counts.

Don't buy a Saracen.

Got a photo? Interested to see how it failed, I’ve always been tempted by carbon but always scared of damage like this. I had recently been getting more confident in carbon as two guides I know who ride in the most rocky terrain imaginable have said absolutely no issue with carbon. One of them ride an Ariel other a 5010.

I bet carbon is stronger assuming the forces are done riding how it is designed. Impacts on rocks is the weakness

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 2:47 Quote
You’re assuming carbon with no voids, poor lay up or resin curing issues, amongst other things. All those are common from some factories.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 3:22 Quote
Carbon is stronger, but alloy is more life proof.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 6:36 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:

I’d have to go ahead and say nope to that.

Take a 1”x 1/4” length of steel or aluminum and pull both ends towards each other.... they both bend

Do the same with CF.... it snaps

Possibly well laid up joints versus weld points but.... meh. You kinda have to baby that shit.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 7:01 Quote
I'll get a photo up later, it's on the di2 battery port which sticks out quite a lot and is completely unprotected. When I called them up their warranty guy said it is a separate bit of carbon which is then bonded in so it's not structural. I don't know if he was saying that just to shut me up but I'm worried it will spread.

Basically I've been told I need to spend more money to get it checked, fixed or replaced and it's perfectly normal for their 2.5k frameset to last 7 rides of normal use.

I wish I could just be rid of the thing and have my money back.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 8:05 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:

Take a 1”x 1/4” length of steel or aluminum and pull both ends towards each other.... they both bend

Possibly well laid up joints versus weld points but.... meh. You kinda have to baby that shit.

Shock! Metals bend and carbon fibre doesn't!

Very short sighted way to compare materials.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:

Very rudimentary example indeed....but,
Isn't it slighted to say that it is stronger? In what capacity?

Honestly its a great material for many different applications but to say that it is stronger is pretty subjective. Its impact resistance is worse, its more susceptible to UV damage, Chemical damage and is far more brittle than its alloy counterparts. It could very well withstand more force under certain scenarios, but when taken into context of intended use its a wide open discussion with many variables.

I've worked with all of them in the marine industry for years and can say it has its place but to state it is stronger is a pretty wild statement.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
Bigblob123 wrote:
Steel is real Razz

Sex is fun.

God is dead.

I am an a*shole.

The world keeps turning.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 10:11 Quote
m1dg3t wrote:
Bigblob123 wrote:
Steel is real Razz

Sex is fun.

God is dead.

I am an a*shole.

The world keeps turning.
"Counting all the a*sholes in the room, Well I'm definitely not alone"

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 11:58 Quote
Carbon CAN bend some. If you have a flat laminate you can bend the shit out of it, Gets less bendy in tube form, but still it will bend before it fails.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 11:59 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Honestly its a great material for many different applications but to say that it is stronger is pretty subjective. Its impact resistance is worse, its more susceptible to UV damage, Chemical damage and is far more brittle than its alloy counterparts. It could very well withstand more force under certain scenarios, but when taken into context of intended use its a wide open discussion with many variables.

I've worked with all of them in the marine industry for years and can say it has its place but to state it is stronger is a pretty wild statement.

It's really a case of it's stronger per unit mass when used in the right areas. I think carbon frames are "stronger" than alloy ones under regular loading of the frame, however as soon as you start throwing crashes, casing jumps and all that into the mix it becomes a different story.

I wouldn't be surprised if the kind of impact which would crack a carbon frame would also dent an steel or aluminium one. The difference there is you can usually ride a dented frame however a cracked carbon frame not so much. The cost of replacing carbon actually scares me from riding my bike over sketchy stuff Facepalm

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 12:17 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

I've snapped three handlebars, all alloy... never snapped a carbon bar. Cracked several alloy frames, never a carbon... snapped/dented/tacod more rims than I can count, never a carbon one.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 12:59 Quote
So maybe its stronger... until its not.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
[Quote="badbadleroybrown"][Quote="sterlingmagnum"][Quote="willbikeleeds"]

What did you do to snap alloy bars? I've only seen that once and it was in the early days of freeride.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024915
Mobile Version of Website