Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 18:28 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
midwest-division wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
I didn't even know you could get a bike with Fox Factory suspension (including dropper) and only have NX on it for shifting

With Esker, you have the ability to build your bike exactly how you want it. You can even exclud items from the build if you have your own stuff to toss on. For instance, suspension and brakes are my jam but could care less which eagle drivetrain I’m running. So I chose the high end components that mattered, went entry level on others to save a bit of cash and then added a few of my own items once I had it. It’s an awesome purchasing concept they offer!

And with Dave Weagle’s new Orion suspension platform...the bike truly shreds!

Could you..say..order nx everything but xo1 or gx cassette? ..cause that's the only part of the drivetrain that really needs upgrading IMO

Good question. I’m not quite sure, but I wouldn’t write that off as being a possibility with Esker. They are awesome dudes who offer a rad trail bike. The more time I spend on it the more I can’t believe how good it is!

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 23:04 Quote
reedholden wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
feathers54 wrote:
new coil
hot or not?

skin wall n spacers destroys everything... black wall, put out the spacers n take a bar with more rise = looks better

Second that

Psshhh ignore them. I will always love skin wall.. dope bike btw!

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 23:35 Quote
midwest-division wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
midwest-division wrote:

With Esker, you have the ability to build your bike exactly how you want it. You can even exclud items from the build if you have your own stuff to toss on. For instance, suspension and brakes are my jam but could care less which eagle drivetrain I’m running. So I chose the high end components that mattered, went entry level on others to save a bit of cash and then added a few of my own items once I had it. It’s an awesome purchasing concept they offer!

Could you..say..order nx everything but xo1 or gx cassette? ..cause that's the only part of the drivetrain that really needs upgrading IMO

Good question. I’m not quite sure, but I wouldn’t write that off as being a possibility with Esker. They are awesome dudes who offer a rad trail bike. The more time I spend on it the more I can’t believe how good it is!

Couldn't say 100% for Esker, but I had a similar situation where I wanted NX with a GX cassette however they ordered group sets as a whole (not including cranks though) meaning they'd have to split a whole drive-train just for a cassette.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 0:45 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
midwest-division wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
I didn't even know you could get a bike with Fox Factory suspension (including dropper) and only have NX on it for shifting

that makes no sense, cassete is a consumable item, therefore just go gx/nx and invest in the shifter as that makes the biggest differnece

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 1:03 Quote
feathers54 wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
midwest-division wrote:

that makes no sense, cassete is a consumable item, therefore just go gx/nx and invest in the shifter as that makes the biggest differnece

Weight is the biggest difference between cassettes, it's unsprung weight as well making it more noticeable.

The NX and GX/XO1/XX1 also use different freehubs

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 2:48 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:
feathers54 wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

Weight is the biggest difference between cassettes, it's unsprung weight as well making it more noticeable.

have u seen the price of a xo1 cassete, considering you will need to replace it every year (depending how often you ride, gx makes the most sense, its still xd driver, spend money on a shifter next time u wanna change your gear cable as this makes the largest differnce to shift performance. your unlikey to notice the difference between gx and xx1 considering the differnence is 80g lol

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 3:06 Quote
feathers54 wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:
feathers54 wrote:

have u seen the price of a xo1 cassete, considering you will need to replace it every year (depending how often you ride, gx makes the most sense, its still xd driver, spend money on a shifter next time u wanna change your gear cable as this makes the largest differnce to shift performance. your unlikey to notice the difference between gx and xx1 considering the differnence is 80g lol

Depends where your priorities are, some people (myself included) couldn’t care less about how a bike shifts gear just as long as it goes from one into the next. Not saying I’d buy an XX1 cassette to save 80g but running a GX cassette with everything else NX doesn’t necessarily “make no sense”

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 3:27 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:
feathers54 wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:

Depends where your priorities are, some people (myself included) couldn’t care less about how a bike shifts gear just as long as it goes from one into the next. Not saying I’d buy an XX1 cassette to save 80g but running a GX cassette with everything else NX doesn’t necessarily “make no sense”
i never slated gx, gx makes sense espesh with xd driver and the fact nx cassete is a brick, but nothing above gx makes sense

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 3:28 Quote
feathers54 wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:
feathers54 wrote:

Ive just taken an xx1 cassette (same as X01, apart from colour) off a bike, its 5 years old, few thousand miles and still has useable life left (the only reason I'm taking it off is i have an XX1 eagle setup not doing anything, so swapping out)

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 3:37 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
feathers54 wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:

Ive just taken an xx1 cassette (same as X01, apart from colour) off a bike, its 5 years old, few thousand miles and still has useable life left (the only reason I'm taking it off is i have an XX1 eagle setup not doing anything, so swapping out)
well in bike shops (i work in one) after a worn chain has been through a cassete more than twice, changing the cassete is protocall, although it may look fine, it often doesn't shift well with a new chain

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 3:58 Quote
feathers54 wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:
feathers54 wrote:

well in bike shops (i work in one) after a worn chain has been through a cassete more than twice, changing the cassete is protocall, although it may look fine, it often doesn't shift well with a new chain

It's on its second chain, shifts perfectly.

I've worked in a few bike shops...

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 5:20 Quote
Bike shop mech here. I got two years out of a GX cassette, including two whole summers in morzine. So long as you keep on top of replacing chains before they stretch too much any cassette will last years. I'm putting the old one on my hardtail as it still shifts fine and doesn't slip.

Probably been through 3 or 4 chains in that time but it means the cassette lasts at least twice as long. I've found the GX cassettes very hard wearing anyway.

Use a chain wear indicator and keep on top of replacing your chain.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 5:27 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Bike shop mech here. I got two years out of a GX cassette, including two whole summers in morzine. So long as you keep on top of replacing chains before they stretch too much any cassette will last years. I'm putting the old one on my hardtail as it still shifts fine and doesn't slip.

Probably been through 3 or 4 chains in that time but it means the cassette lasts at least twice as long. I've found the GX cassettes very hard wearing anyway.

Use a chain wear indicator and keep on top of replacing your chain.

This. You can easily get 3-4 $50 chains to a $400 X01 cassette if you stay on top of chain wear and replace as soon as it's worn.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 6:34 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
midwest-division wrote:
matt-15 wrote:

the shifter is a lot nicer and sturdy on xo1, id probably go for that as well.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 6:57 Quote
feathers54 wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
midwest-division wrote:

Your priorities are clearly different than mine. I want as good of a performing bike as I can and care less for things like shifter feel.

feathers54 wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:
feathers54 wrote:

I just replaced my 2 year old gx drivetrain with well over 3000 km of abuse after 4 chains. Never had shifting issues, but did suddenly find the chain wouldn't mesh with the front ring one day.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.032063
Mobile Version of Website