Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: May 18, 2019 at 13:43 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Okay, that's super interesting to hear. Mind tossing some pics up?

Probably easier to post this: https://www.kustombikes.co.uk/blog

There’s also vid on YouTube of this setup working!

https://youtu.be/hDA0oiuMltA

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 13:47 Quote
Super appreciate it dude!

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 11:45 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Bike shop mech here. I got two years out of a GX cassette, including two whole summers in morzine. So long as you keep on top of replacing chains before they stretch too much any cassette will last years. I'm putting the old one on my hardtail as it still shifts fine and doesn't slip.

Probably been through 3 or 4 chains in that time but it means the cassette lasts at least twice as long. I've found the GX cassettes very hard wearing anyway.

Use a chain wear indicator and keep on top of replacing your chain.

I’ve been riding the best part of 30 years and this is sound advise. You will be surprised how quickly you can wear a chain out, a measuring tool should be in everyone’s tool kit. Shifting quality deteriorates slowly and you don’t tend to notice until you put the new chains on so the tool it the best way to go.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 11:48 Quote
sherbet wrote:

I read some months ago on the Shimano website that the new XTR 9100 mech is both 11 and 12 speed (Shimano) compatible, so that would suggest to me that they have changed the actuation ratio. I'm guessing that this is why it will work with a SRAM shifter.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

I read some months ago on the Shimano website that the new XTR 9100 mech is both 11 and 12 speed (Shimano) compatible, so that would suggest to me that they have changed the actuation ratio. I'm guessing that this is why it will work with a SRAM shifter.

Yeah the shifter is also 11 or 12 speed

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 5:05 Quote
I have broken 2 GX Eagle rear mechs. First with the jockey wheel fault. Second just would constantly fall out of index. Swapped to XO1 Eagle and that’s been super sweet. Up until last stage of an enduro this weekend. Think it may have taken a light knock as it was out of index. Otherwise super happy with my XO1...personally I wouldn’t buy a GX mech again.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Bike shop mech here. I got two years out of a GX cassette, including two whole summers in morzine. So long as you keep on top of replacing chains before they stretch too much any cassette will last years. I'm putting the old one on my hardtail as it still shifts fine and doesn't slip.

Probably been through 3 or 4 chains in that time but it means the cassette lasts at least twice as long. I've found the GX cassettes very hard wearing anyway.

I’ve been riding the best part of 30 years and this is sound advise. You will be surprised how quickly you can wear a chain out, a measuring tool should be in everyone’s tool kit. Shifting quality deteriorates slowly and you don’t tend to notice until you put the new chains on so the tool it the best way to go.

I third this, would also like to point out that the 11 speed GX cassettes, forget the exact name, are indestructible if you keep your chain fresh. 11 steel cogs and the cassette isn't even that heavy. Mine just won't die, I replace chains all the time though, at a little over 10$ a chain it really is worth it.
*Going on year 3 with mine, I climb a lot and 95% is in the 42 tooth ring (biggest one)

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 16:24 Quote
skerby wrote:
StevieJB wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

I third this, would also like to point out that the 11 speed GX cassettes, forget the exact name, are indestructible if you keep your chain fresh. 11 steel cogs and the cassette isn't even that heavy. Mine just won't die, I replace chains all the time though, at a little over 10$ a chain it really is worth it.
*Going on year 3 with mine, I climb a lot and 95% is in the 42 tooth ring (biggest one)

I finally killed one after 4 chains, a few ran a little past their lifespan. Impressive wear life for sure. Replaced it with an e-thirteen for range and am already noticing some visible wear. We will have to see how long that one holds on

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 17:36 Quote

Here's my 2013 Rocky Mountain Trailhead 29. I bought it back in 2014, but an injury kept me from fully getting into mountain biking. Now that I'm back at it, I'm starting to have a blast. Specs can be found here.

It's all stock but I'm considering swapping out the triple up front for a 2x or 1x setup. Any thoughts?

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 18:03 Quote
Finished my '16 Canfield Balance, 32.25lbs

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 18:05 Quote
shwinn8 wrote:

That buzzworms liable ta’ pop yer turrrs.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 19:16 Quote
shwinn8 wrote:

cool pet duck on the seat

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
s-g wrote:

Here's my 2013 Rocky Mountain Trailhead 29. I bought it back in 2014, but an injury kept me from fully getting into mountain biking. Now that I'm back at it, I'm starting to have a blast. Specs can be found here.

It's all stock but I'm considering swapping out the triple up front for a 2x or 1x setup. Any thoughts?

Low cost option with keeping your current 3x9 hardware is to mount a Sunrace 11-40 9sp cassette w/extender for easier climbing, then either remove the large chainring and set the front derailleur limits to stop at the 32t chainring for 2x or go 1x and remove the large and small chainring and front derailleur to drop some weight. Otherwise if you find a Deore or better 1x groupset for cheap, do it.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 21:25 Quote

Banshee Spitfire frame
MRP Ribbon Air, 140mm
Cane Creek DB Air IL
Wolftooth headset
Wolftooth ST collar
Wolftooth dropper remote
9point8 Fall Line post
Race Face Next R bars
Race Face Turbine R 40mm stem
Race Face Turbine cranks
Race Race Atlas pedals
Hope Tech 3 X2 brakes
Chromag Clutch grips
Crank Brothers Synthesis hoops
Race Face Vault Hubs
Sapim CX-Ray spokes
Sapim Polyax alloy nips and washers
Maxxis Rekon 2.6 tires
XT shifter/derailleur
Sunrace MX80 Cassette
KMC Chain
SDG saddle
AbsoluteBlack Taco guard

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.034300
Mobile Version of Website