Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 1:50 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
dkidd wrote:

The question I'm stuck with is why invest in a Hardtail to ride the same trails with greater difficulty, rather than spending that energy riding more technical trails and putting in an extra lap for strength? You'd achieve the same goal and get even more comfortable with the bike, rather than migrating skills between two platforms.

I imagine it depends on the local trails some what. If you don't have a ton of super tech trails, locally why would you not just have a hardtail.

Me personally I love tackling rock gardens and the like on my hardtail. I enjoy the trail feedback. Full sus just numbs the trail to much for me after having owned one and demoing a few. If I lived some where near a bike park or my local trails had big drops, I'd own a full sus but that is the only reason I'd own one for bigger hits. I know a full sus will be faster but I find a hardtail more fun and the bit lower maintenance is just a side benefit.

Do you run flat or clipless? I have a hard time standing on flats in rock gardens

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 3:08 Quote
I dunno what those 2 are on previous page but look like smashers- lush

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 3:31 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
dkidd wrote:

The question I'm stuck with is why invest in a Hardtail to ride the same trails with greater difficulty, rather than spending that energy riding more technical trails and putting in an extra lap for strength? You'd achieve the same goal and get even more comfortable with the bike, rather than migrating skills between two platforms.

I imagine it depends on the local trails some what. If you don't have a ton of super tech trails, locally why would you not just have a hardtail.

Me personally I love tackling rock gardens and the like on my hardtail. I enjoy the trail feedback. Full sus just numbs the trail to much for me after having owned one and demoing a few. If I lived some where near a bike park or my local trails had big drops, I'd own a full sus but that is the only reason I'd own one for bigger hits. I know a full sus will be faster but I find a hardtail more fun and the bit lower maintenance is just a side benefit.

Do you run flat or clipless? I have a hard time standing on flats in rock gardens

To give my pov on it

Run flats on trails you dont know well or dont know at all, run clips on trails you are used to. I ran flats all my life until recently when I moved to clips. I prd a lot of trails and climbs running clips but started to dislike clips after a while. I went back to flats and have no issues with my feet moving around like they used to. I think its all in technique to be honest. Now I pr stuff every time I ride, even on flats. Plus riding clips made me feel like I was cheating a bit. Way easier to hop around and pick my back wheel up over stuff.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 4:27 Quote
Broads72 wrote:
Running Mullet
Running Mullet

Stunning build! How do you like the mullet?

I am really tempted to fit a 650b rear wheel in my 170mm 29er enduro.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 4:28 Quote
tricyclerider wrote:
So this arrived the other day...

I would be so down for it if it only was 150-170mm. Let's see what will happen in the future Smile

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 4:31 Quote
What frame is that? Really good looking...

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 4:58 Quote
Forbidden Druid.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 5:29 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
dkidd wrote:

I run flats and haven't had trouble doing down through rock gardens. I do have occasional problems slipping pedals on techy climbs though.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 6:09 Quote
Maybe it was the combo of my Spank Spike Pedals and old Freeriders... Gonna try the Chromag Scarab and my Sam Hill 3.

On the full sus. Im glued to the pedals with them Smile

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 8:06 Quote
MrMiyagi wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:

I would be so down for it if it only was 150-170mm. Let's see what will happen in the future Smile
The future is bright, my friend. The future is bright.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 8:51 Quote
MrMiyagi wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:

honestly i feel like 150-170mm for a 29 isnt necessary, i have a megatower frame waiting to be built but i might just return it and get a druid

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
sosburn wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:

honestly i feel like 150-170mm for a 29 isnt necessary, i have a megatower frame waiting to be built but i might just return it and get a druid

29er doesn't take anything away from big hits. I was in the lineup for the druid and changed my mind for this reason...and got a Megatower lol

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 9:03 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
sosburn wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:

29er doesn't take anything away from big hits. I was in the lineup for the druid and changed my mind for this reason...and got a Megatower lol

i should have added “for me its unnecessary”, its actually pretty lame i bought the frame and its literally just sitting in my room cause id rather just ride my hightower right now

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
sosburn wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
sosburn wrote:

i should have added “for me its unnecessary”, its actually pretty lame i bought the frame and its literally just sitting in my room cause id rather just ride my hightower right now

I totally get why a lot of people don't need that much travel, especially on a 29er. Where I live in the alps, more travel does help and allows me to ride more vertical while staying fresh for longer. I would not go for a frame with less than 150mm in 29. Optimally I am looking for 160mm with a progressive leverage curve so I can fit a coil. Currently on a radon swoop 170mm 29er and enjoying it. Not sure I like the 29er backwheel with my hight (175cm). Feel like too big of a wheel to mess around.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 9:21 Quote
MrMiyagi wrote:
sosburn wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

I totally get why a lot of people don't need that much travel, especially on a 29er. Where I live in the alps, more travel does help and allows me to ride more vertical while staying fresh for longer. I would not go for a frame with less than 150mm in 29. Optimally I am looking for 160mm with a progressive leverage curve so I can fit a coil. Currently on a radon swoop 170mm 29er and enjoying it. Not sure I like the 29er backwheel with my hight (175cm). Feel like too big of a wheel to mess around.

you should get a bronson v3 and put a 29 wheel up front. bronson already corners like a meth addict in a formula 1, 29er front end could make it faster in the chonk

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020878
Mobile Version of Website