Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Author Message
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 14:45 Quote
i know this question has been asked before, but here goes.
How heavy do you guys think a bike has to be before it starts to slow you down? Im not bothered about uphill, but im looking at a nukeproof mega, thats 16kg in my size, but have no clue what my scout weighs so i cant really compare it to anything.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 15:04 Quote
Just finished building up my new Bronson, surprised about how heavy it is but that seems to be how bikes are going these days


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
Nice Bronson! That the alloy model?


Been flogging this thing for the last couple of months..she doesn't like moving slowly.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 15:55 Quote
Theocr wrote:
i know this question has been asked before, but here goes.
How heavy do you guys think a bike has to be before it starts to slow you down? Im not bothered about uphill, but im looking at a nukeproof mega, thats 16kg in my size, but have no clue what my scout weighs so i cant really compare it to anything.
I believe this is more about your climbing style than anything else... if you climb in the saddle and just grind it out, you're gonna be less impacted in terms of wattage than someone who is a more active, explosive climber. Personally, I know there's little difference in my climbing performance between a 35lb bike and a 30lb bike, or 18lb road bike and 15lb road bike.

I think it was GCN or one of their affiliates did a comparison where 1kg turned into like 40 seconds over something like an hour of climbing on the road. Not a huge difference unless you're racing.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 15:56 Quote
Thanks, yeah, it’s the alloy version, it’s built like a tank, it’s going to take some getting used to the weight especially since I came from a carbon Scott Genius LT

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 16:00 Quote
Medacus wrote:
Thanks, yeah, it’s the alloy version, it’s built like a tank, it’s going to take some getting used to the weight especially since I came from a carbon Scott Genius LT

Rotational weight will make a larger difference than just weight on the bike. Like already stated above the difference unless racing is really minor.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 16:29 Quote
And the genius is kind of a freak bike in that it is kind of like two bikes in one trying to do too much without being really good at one or the other. Not a bad bike just very broad in what they try to accomplish with it.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 16:59 Quote
Well the Megatower ain't exactly light either.. but it still pedals well and damn it goes well pointed down the hill

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 17:53 Quote
sherbet wrote:
heinous wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Those cranks are awesome, nice work. Really like the Taniwha, the price is just nuts though... isn't it like $6500 for just the frameset?

That includes drivetrain, so if you factor in whatever a high end drivetrain would cost (XO/XX/XTR) it's a lot more reasonable. That's before you factor in the savings over time with a gearbox rather than cassettes, chains, cables, rings

And after you factor in it's a twist shift, it's suddenly not a good deal anymore.

The trigger shifters on mine work well, so it’s back to being a good deal.

@ktm87/WTH the Kickstarter has finished, but they are available on the website.

https://cinq.de/en/shifting-technology/428/shift-r-tour-for-pinion?c=136

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 17:59 Quote
sherbet wrote:
heinous wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Those cranks are awesome, nice work. Really like the Taniwha, the price is just nuts though... isn't it like $6500 for just the frameset?

That includes drivetrain, so if you factor in whatever a high end drivetrain would cost (XO/XX/XTR) it's a lot more reasonable. That's before you factor in the savings over time with a gearbox rather than cassettes, chains, cables, rings

And after you factor in it's a twist shift, it's suddenly not a good deal anymore.
Plus, a high end frame is $3000-3500 and even AXS is only $1700 or so for the full groupset.

$4k or so would be reasonable but over that is just too much imo.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 18:08 Quote
I'm not sure, but I'd imagine the pinion gearbox is vastly more intensive to make compared to the AXS kit. They probably spend the same time on three cogs that Sram spends on the cassette. No idea really, but it does seem vastly more complex with a fair bit more tolerance reliant parts.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 18:12 Quote
Very possibly... but to the end user, it's still a matter of cost for frame plus drivetrain, and you're paying a lot more for very little gain imo.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 18:19 Quote
Yeah, it's a very bespoke offering. I see it kinda like when people buy extremely expensive ti frames that are heavier and debatably weaker than an equivalent carbon frame. Sometimes you just want something different.

Hopefully we'll see some level of mass production in the future driving costs down.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 18:23 Quote
i really hope they catch on. i love my pinion. its the fricken bees knees. dont plan on going back to a derailleur

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 19:46 Quote
Theocr wrote:
i know this question has been asked before, but here goes.
How heavy do you guys think a bike has to be before it starts to slow you down? Im not bothered about uphill, but im looking at a nukeproof mega, thats 16kg in my size, but have no clue what my scout weighs so i cant really compare it to anything.

Ya know, I use to worry about weight a lot more, until my current bike. Transition Patrol, coil suspended front and rear, weighs almost 37lbs and climbs better than any other bike I have ever had, no joke. Geometry has a lot more to do with climbing prowess than weight does IMO.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015494
Mobile Version of Website