Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 2:44 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
sosburn wrote:
alright i hate to be that guy but im gonna do it anyways. i need some "what should i buy" advice.

Ive been riding my hightower LT for the last 1.5 years, and i love it, but recently i think ive fallen into a bit of a weird funk where im just not as stoked on it. I had actually ordered and received a megatower frame, but ended up returning it as there were a lot of negative reviews regarding the rear suspension from pb and various friends. i also needed money for school so returning the megatower freed some up.
My issue now is i have about ~$2k. i'm wanting to either retire my hightower frame and buy a Ripmo AF, or keep my hightower frame, buy a Trust Shout fork, since i figure if i like it i'll keep it and if i don't, i can use ye olde 30-day money back guarantee.
or i guess i can just stop riding for a little while and try getting something like a forbidden druid next year.
Put the 2k aside....If you dont really need and want something now dont buy it.

Focus on school (I sould also also focus on University more now as summer is over lol) and maybe buy something later on.
Maybe you want the iPad for note taking/ learning/ drawing or a nice pair of clothes/ shoes. Who knows.

I usually only buy things now If I keep wanting to buy them over a month- otherwise youll be happy for short period of time.

I wanted to buy the Stumpjumper 29er for over 7 months now and I finally did and Im so, so happy with it Big Grin

More money than sense springs to mind

Wow a rich student- are you russian or chinese from a good background

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 7:28 Quote
I second Notnamed.

I built up an enduro rig beginning of the year as I felt the need to go back onto big squish but after using it 2 or 3 times over 7 months I felt it wasted sat there so parted it out and put it back in savings, fortunately it didn't lose me any money. Just be certain a new rig is what you definitely want and that you'll get its worth.

All said and done though a 290 on Zocchi would be pretty sweet.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 9:25 Quote
I back that as well.

2k is a lot of money to drop on anything you're not totally stoked on. Wait until you find something that you really want.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
sosburn wrote:
alright i hate to be that guy but im gonna do it anyways. i need some "what should i buy" advice.

Ive been riding my hightower LT for the last 1.5 years, and i love it, but recently i think ive fallen into a bit of a weird funk where im just not as stoked on it. I had actually ordered and received a megatower frame, but ended up returning it as there were a lot of negative reviews regarding the rear suspension from pb and various friends. i also needed money for school so returning the megatower freed some up.
My issue now is i have about ~$2k. i'm wanting to either retire my hightower frame and buy a Ripmo AF, or keep my hightower frame, buy a Trust Shout fork, since i figure if i like it i'll keep it and if i don't, i can use ye olde 30-day money back guarantee.
or i guess i can just stop riding for a little while and try getting something like a forbidden druid next year.

Maybe the problem is you need a change in the kinda riding you do? Put 1.5 back in the bank and spend the rest on a used dirt jump bike, BMX, roadie, fixie or something. Try a new discipline, or maybe a new sport altogether. You could use it to rent gear to try loads of different stuff.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
sosburn wrote:

Maybe the problem is you need a change in the kinda riding you do? Put 1.5 back in the bank and spend the rest on a used dirt jump bike, BMX, roadie, fixie or something. Try a new discipline, or maybe a new sport altogether. You could use it to rent gear to try loads of different stuff.

This is the best advice I've seen yet on this thread. I was in the same boat with my slayer- not really in tune with the bike, not motivated to get out and ride as much, feeling like a new bike would be what I needed. In the end, I took a step back for a couple of weeks, put some time into another hobby of mine, got a road bike and put some miles on that, and now my stoke for MTB is back and better than it was previously.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
aerosxl wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:
sosburn wrote:

This is the best advice I've seen yet on this thread. I was in the same boat with my slayer- not really in tune with the bike, not motivated to get out and ride as much, feeling like a new bike would be what I needed. In the end, I took a step back for a couple of weeks, put some time into another hobby of mine, got a road bike and put some miles on that, and now my stoke for MTB is back and better than it was previously.

yeah honestly i think im just gonna hold off and surf for a few months and try getting a new frame after christmas

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
Sounds like a plan. Surfing rocks and there are a lot of deals that time of the year.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 12:58 Quote
If a change of scenery is all ya need, you're welcome to come up to Ashland for a weekend, got room for you to crash and some amazing trails.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
If a change of scenery is all ya need, you're welcome to come up to Ashland for a weekend, got room for you to crash and some amazing trails.

YES you already know im gonna be up there for a weekend in the next few months

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
sosburn wrote:

This. I haven't had a great summer on the bike. Mix of weather, mechanical issues and poor fitness has left me feeling pretty unmotivated to ride. This weekend I picked up a $150 single speed bike, threw some clipless pedals on and have ridden every day around the city since I got it. Not the same as riding miles of single track, or down flowy jump trails or technical dh trails, but still so much fun! People joke about N+1, but you get completely different experiences with different bikes and helps to keep the stoke alive.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 14:24 Quote
I've actually had a shit load of fun on my fixed gear since I got it two years ago. About as far from an MTB as you can get but I love the feeling. It's been amazing for my fitness. Pretty cool to be able to smash out miles and miles of back roads/coast/city/interesting places, stop for some photos/picnic and still be back within an hour.

I did get hit by a car though haha

I'm trying to stop just spending money on gear when it's me that's the problem. Gets quite hard in the winter when it's dark, wet and cold though. I've started digging more which has really helped, and I should really get back into indoor climbing too. Really helps with arm pump on the bike.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 14:39 Quote
saskskier wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:
sosburn wrote:

This. I haven't had a great summer on the bike. Mix of weather, mechanical issues and poor fitness has left me feeling pretty unmotivated to ride. This weekend I picked up a $150 single speed bike, threw some clipless pedals on and have ridden every day around the city since I got it. Not the same as riding miles of single track, or down flowy jump trails or technical dh trails, but still so much fun! People joke about N+1, but you get completely different experiences with different bikes and helps to keep the stoke alive.

maybe ill cop a dirt jump bike to f*ck around with. road biking is definitely not my thing haha

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 14:41 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
I did get hit by a car though haha

aaaaand that's why i dont f*ck with road bikes lmao

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 19:54 Quote
sosburn wrote:
StUone7 wrote:

YES you already know im gonna be up there for a weekend in the next few months

f*ck yea dude. You know how to get ahold of me my man.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 13:53 Quote
Another perspective - I was riding on my Nomad V3 and really not enjoying it for months. I didn't know if it was the bike or me or my lack of progression. I eventually decided that the bike was partly to blame and I traded it in for my Ripmo. The Ibis has completely blown me away, I am enjoying riding more than ever - I am clearing climbs I've never made and putting PB's down on trails i've been riding for 3 years. The bike is so much better than anything I've ever ridden!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020565
Mobile Version of Website