Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 1:08 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
reedholden wrote:

Was that a 28t ring on the kona? So tiny!!!

I was living in Nelson. If you can climb everything in Nelson on a 29er with a 32chainring and 42biggest cog, you are an ANIMAL!!!!!! I am mortal it turns out.

I run exactly that setup.

It's fine first run when your legs are fresh, there's not much I can't get up (23 year old who can squat 450lbs).

Once you're tired though the leg power goes. I think there's a lot to be said for 32t front and >46t rear where you get yourself into a super easy gear and just wind your way up. You might not need the smallest gears when you have fresh legs but once you're tired they're super nice to have.

I'm contemplating buying an 11-46t even as a stronger dude because a few laps in I'd kill for a 46t.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 3:00 Quote
50T is what I have and admit I barely use it but it sure is nice to have in my local riding area

I mean I could take it off and serve cake and biscuits on it when I get bored of all this 12spd nonsense

Lol

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 4:18 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
mcozzy wrote:
My kenevo fitted with sc reserves & saint brakes from my bronson, as im probably not going to use it again Big Grin

Now retired. Haters going to hate Hahahaha lol lol

Wonder if putting those reserve wheels on an e-bike voids the warranty?

As the guy mentioned, it 'should' be a no quibble warranty with the reserves.

The reserves ride so much harsher than the stock alloy wheels now ive been out on the kenevo. I'm thinking this is probably one of the reasons I didnt get on with the bronson, it felt so harsh compared to my previous bikes. It was my first(and last!) carbon bike, so I assumed that was how they rode.
I definitely wouldn't buy carbon wheels again.
I expect if I took the bronson out now with alloy wheels it came with, it would be great, but alas too late, its now sold & being collected in a few days.

Still have my DH bike, so havent gone full E Smile

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 4:22 Quote
Mounted some new squishy springy thing on the Sentinel
Sentinel oncoil

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
reedholden wrote:

I was living in Nelson. If you can climb everything in Nelson on a 29er with a 32chainring and 42biggest cog, you are an ANIMAL!!!!!! I am mortal it turns out.

recently ive been using a 34t ring, cause i was never ever using the 50t cog on my eagle cassette with a 32t ring, and all that ive found is that im STILL not using the 50t ring. so i might go full Nate Hills and put a 36t up front

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 10:15 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
sosburn wrote:
reedholden wrote:

recently ive been using a 34t ring, cause i was never ever using the 50t cog on my eagle cassette with a 32t ring, and all that ive found is that im STILL not using the 50t ring. so i might go full Nate Hills and put a 36t up front

Only issue with 36t is you might start clipping your chainring on roll in ramps, particularly if you have a low BB height on your frame

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
32t/9-42t here. Been thinking on a 34 chainring, but not sure if it's clear on the trail debris here. I honestly don't know how people rock a 28t.

Sos, if you can deal with the slightly worse shifting and replacement timing, the E:13 with the 9t cog is pretty damned rad. Think they do a 9-46 and a 9-50 12 speed now.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 12:09 Quote
sherbet wrote:
32t/9-42t here. Been thinking on a 34 chainring, but not sure if it's clear on the trail debris here. I honestly don't know how people rock a 28t.

Sos, if you can deal with the slightly worse shifting and replacement timing, the E:13 with the 9t cog is pretty damned rad. Think they do a 9-46 and a 9-50 12 speed now.
Replacement timing? Ive been fairly curious about these cassettes for a while now

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
Not sure if you guys have been to Nelson, but it is steep!! Steep by British Columbia standards. I do believe it would be pretty hard living there with a 32 chaining and a 42 rear cog.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 18:43 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
sosburn wrote:
reedholden wrote:

Yeah that's cause nothing in Marin is really that steep Frown

Riding now in CO especially with the altitude I am on the 30 - 42cog 11spd setup, but some of my backyard trails could easily use a 50 out back.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 18:55 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
sosburn wrote:
reedholden wrote:

Riding now in CO especially with the altitude I am on the 30 - 42cog 11spd setup, but some of my backyard trails could easily use a 50 out back.
Most all of the CO front range trails have steep climbs at the beginning to get to the good stuff.
Having that 50T is nice when my legs are shot.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 19:45 Quote
For my 26” wheels I’d love just 30x10-45. Not sure what I’d want if I went to bigger wheels. 32x11-42 works well enough for me though.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 20:33 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Not sure if you guys have been to Nelson, but it is steep!! Steep by British Columbia standards. I do believe it would be pretty hard living there with a 32 chaining and a 42 rear cog.

Gnarnaimo is right on the money on this one. Although I am sure someone has mashed a 32 riding a 29er in Nelson, they would probably need to be on the Lance Armstrong program. I'm glad my little ring has spurred so much discussion but it is a little pointless talking about what giant rings people are man enough to turn over when everyone here lives in such different terrain and don't even ride the same size wheels. For many here the longest climb on their trails is 2 minutes. No judgement, its just a fact that no two points are that different in altitude. Where I live you can climb in your granny gear for an hour and a half or more without hitting a single descent. In Nelson, it is like that but steeper the whole way. It is literally the best riding in the world. No bull sh#% climbs that get you up there as fast as possible and the steepest loamiest fall line riding you can imagine.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 20:57 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
sosburn wrote:
reedholden wrote:

oh yeah when climbing up actual trails in marin im definitely chillin in the middle of the cassette but on fire road climbs like Gunsight and anything around lucas valley, its a sufferfest but im still not using that 50t. I think the last time i touched it was on my 5th or 6th climb of the day up Sulfur Springs in Demo.

sherb i’ll look into it but the thing that draws me off of them is ive heard a number of people saying they wear out quickly, which concerns me.
i wish sram kept making xc quality 11sp cassettes

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 21:15 Quote
reedholden wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

Gnarnaimo is right on the money on this one. Although I am sure someone has mashed a 32 riding a 29er in Nelson, they would probably need to be on the Lance Armstrong program. I'm glad my little ring has spurred so much discussion but it is a little pointless talking about what giant rings people are man enough to turn over when everyone here lives in such different terrain and don't even ride the same size wheels. For many here the longest climb on their trails is 2 minutes. No judgement, its just a fact that no two points are that different in altitude. Where I live you can climb in your granny gear for an hour and a half or more without hitting a single descent. In Nelson, it is like that but steeper the whole way. It is literally the best riding in the world. No bull sh#% climbs that get you up there as fast as possible and the steepest loamiest fall line riding you can imagine.

sounds cool but i dont think we were really comparing climbing skills. i know of one fireroad climb that i just walk no matter how im feeling

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018552
Mobile Version of Website