Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
Nobble wrote:
sosburn wrote:
skivt27 wrote:

The biggest reason GG did this is so they can cut down on the number of standard parts they need to manufacture and stock. This allows them to run more sustainably. What would happen if they designed a line of 4 bikes that all used different front triangles, made 50 of each in each size, then went to market with them. If one of the models is not popular, but one model is more popular than the number of bikes they made, they are kind of SOL and stuck with a bunch of unsold bikes. the current business model is designed to prevent that from happening.

to me it seems to be less for the consumer than people are making it out to be.

The way GG is doing it is cool, and definitely serves the company (and environment) more than the consumer.
but i think for the most part, other companies like SC who put flip chips in their frames are just making more work for themselves. its a cool to think about having the option to run 27.5+/29 but i mean really how often are consumers switching that stuff up? if you design a bike one way, it should be optimized for that way and sold in that final, optimized configuration.
I think there are a lot of misconceptions about frame adjustments.

Frame adjustments aren't meant to be used regularly. They're designed to allow the bike to me marketed at a wider audience and in some cases provide fine tuning options.

Take my gambler for example, it has an adjustable BB height, adjustable chainstay length, and head angle options via headset cups. Nobody is going to press out and press in headset cups every weekend to change head angle for different tracks. But the variety of options makes their frame appeal to a bunch of people. A freerider can build it with a +1 cup, the tall BB setting, and the short chainstay mode. A racer can put a -1 cup in, and set in in long and low mode.

By including these adjustments their one frame appeals to more potential buyers. It's the same deal with the 27.5+ and 29 flip chips.

I'd agree that people aren't likely to be swapping out the more involved adjustments regularly, but I do switch between the low and lower options on my Rallon, depending on the terrain I'm riding.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
The latest look for my bird aeris it's had quite alot changed since my last post so I thought I would post It again.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 12:03 Quote
that thing is super sick

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
sosburn wrote:
that thing is super sick

Thank you

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
One of my new bikes. Just finished building and took for a test ride around the neighborhood. Fast as $(*&#% and very smooth. Can't wait to get her out tomorrow (and I'll get a decent picture).

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 12:41 Quote
My other new bike. Figured I'd take a chance with the La Sal. Climbing is incredible, descending is very good. Does not have the cornering that my Calling had, but the combination of too long of a stem on there (will be remedied tomorrow) and not used to 29" wheels may be contributing to that. Overall, very happy.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
mfmediocremtb wrote:
One of my new bikes. Just finished building and took for a test ride around the neighborhood. Fast as $(*&#% and very smooth. Can't wait to get her out tomorrow (and I'll get a decent picture).

The best HT in the world! Looks stunning, best material for a HT, perfect geometry, and at a great price for a Ti weapon!
Enjoy

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
mfmediocremtb wrote:
My other new bike. Figured I'd take a chance with the La Sal. Climbing is incredible, descending is very good. Does not have the cornering that my Calling had, but the combination of too long of a stem on there (will be remedied tomorrow) and not used to 29" wheels may be contributing to that. Overall, very happy.

why that drivetrain combo? just wondering.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 13:42 Quote
sosburn wrote:

why that drivetrain combo? just wondering.

I had an XX1 drivetrain and a set of eeWings.

I knew for the titanium build I wanted the eeWings, and gold accents look nice with titanium IMO so I wanted the XX1 cassette. The titanium will be ridden on a bit more tame terrain, so it got the XX1 shifting.

Now I was left with an XX1 crankset for the FS. I got an X01 cassette for it because the weight savings from GX is significant. I got GX shifting for it because the shifting honestly feels just as good and the weight is almost the same.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 8:51 Quote
mfmediocremtb wrote:

Honest question. What do you do with that much suspension in Florida?

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 10:03 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
mfmediocremtb wrote:

Monster truckin' over retirees and swamp people on the way to the mall.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 10:28 Quote
dkidd wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
mfmediocremtb wrote:

Monster truckin' over retirees and swamp people on the way to the mall.
Freeride

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
Having ridden PNW, CO, Pisgah, and most other places in the US (except AZ and UT) I'd say there aren't a whole lot of trails in any of the above that anyone needs that much travel. Hell, Ive ridden trestle and keystone on a Mojo3 plenty of times. My average ride in FL uses as much travel as a lot of my traveling rides, just less due to speed more due to drops/jumps.

With that being said, I've classically had a do it all trail bike. Now I have that to travel with (I travel close to a week a month for biking) and a hardtail.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 11:21 Quote
mfmediocremtb wrote:
Having ridden PNW, CO, Pisgah, and most other places in the US (except AZ and UT) I'd say there aren't a whole lot of trails in any of the above that anyone needs that much travel. Hell, Ive ridden trestle and keystone on a Mojo3 plenty of times. My average ride in FL uses as much travel as a lot of my traveling rides, just less due to speed more due to drops/jumps.

With that being said, I've classically had a do it all trail bike. Now I have that to travel with (I travel close to a week a month for biking) and a hardtail.

You need the Kingdom Ti seatcollar on that rig! It’s ????????????

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 11:35 Quote
All I had was this Ti one!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025118
Mobile Version of Website