Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 9:54 Quote
rahrider wrote:
I don't think it is just about the mm travel. A lot of bike capability gets down to frame, fork and wheel stiffness and geometry. The one place where inches of travel counts most is super high speed or big drops (which is also super high speed). If you were riding this one at whistler bike park and the group you were with were all on DH bikes, you'd be having trouble keeping up probably.
Most of the riding I do is slower, steeper and more technical (north shore etc). I can ride it just as well on a burly hardtail as the speeds are comparatively slow and my hardtail holds a line well. From what I see about the optic, it is definitely not a enduro bike with the pike up front but that being said, you could take it on all the same trails as the range, just slower.

This, I got a Scott genius Lt 160mm and wish I saved money and got a nice hard tail.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 11:35 Quote
rahrider wrote:
I don't think it is just about the mm travel. A lot of bike capability gets down to frame, fork and wheel stiffness and geometry. The one place where inches of travel counts most is super high speed or big drops (which is also super high speed). If you were riding this one at whistler bike park and the group you were with were all on DH bikes, you'd be having trouble keeping up probably.
Most of the riding I do is slower, steeper and more technical (north shore etc). I can ride it just as well on a burly hardtail as the speeds are comparatively slow and my hardtail holds a line well. From what I see about the optic, it is definitely not a enduro bike with the pike up front but that being said, you could take it on all the same trails as the range, just slower.

Good shout. You make some great points. I guess in this day and age it feels like the marketing departments have us all fooled into thinking we need to ride 170mm enduro machines!

My biggest dilemma is do I replace my Rocky Mountain altitude with an optic.... or put the money towards a Ducati panigale 899/959.... first world problems!lol

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
I think alot of it comes down to where and how you ride...also Dkidd has a literal fleet of bikes at his disposal (well sort of)

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
rahrider wrote:

Good shout. You make some great points. I guess in this day and age it feels like the marketing departments have us all fooled into thinking we need to ride 170mm enduro machines!

My biggest dilemma is do I replace my Rocky Mountain altitude with an optic.... or put the money towards a Ducati panigale 899/959.... first world problems!lol

Meh..... more like 170mm bikes have gotten so efficent... why not.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
Jamestyrrell wrote:
rahrider wrote:

This, I got a Scott genius Lt 160mm and wish I saved money and got a nice hard tail.

Where are you riding that you think you’d be better off with a hard tail?

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Jamestyrrell wrote:
rahrider wrote:

Walking paths and paved roads Big Grin

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
dkidd wrote:
v7fmp wrote:

amazeballs!

Rock shox fork in the video, Fox in the pic... why the change/upgrade?! A bit more burl?!
Yeah, a little laterally stiffer and a bit more supple off the top. Plus... kashima. Mmhmm
The brakes have changed since the video as well. TRP GSpec DH with 200mm rotors F and R.

Awesome. This bike is at the top of my want list. Did you have any other considerations before you bought the optic? Reasons for the optic over others?

One of my buddies thinks 125mm rear won’t be enough for some riding spots?!

There are a bunch of reasons that I'm on an Optic, but the most relevant ones are:
1. Local terrain. I live in Oregon, where the bulk of trails are high speed and low on roots and rocks (at least compared to the Sea to Sky Corridor trails that used to be my stomping grounds),
2. The 2019 Sight is the bike that suited my riding style (I prefer high speed jumpy trails and look for any opportunity to get loose on the trail) better than any bike I've ever ridden, and this is the platform that's closest to that.
3. I've got a DH bike and a Hardtail, but I ended up riding my '19 Sight pretty much everywhere (bike parks and local DH tech included) because I liked it so much. My only complaint was a lack of traction in high-speed tech. The 2020 Optic, despite being 5mm less travel in the back, actually handles high speed rough stuff better than the ('19) Sight, thanks to the slightly longer wheelbase and more rearward wheel travel. It's also lighter and (apparently) laterally stiffer than the Sight.
4. I mean, look at it. Those angles make my pants feel funny.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 15:06 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
Jamestyrrell wrote:

Walking paths and paved roads Big Grin

Pains me to say it but yes dude! I'm prodominantly a skatepark rider on my jump bike. None of the people I ride with have mountain bikes they're all bmxers, living in the midlands of the UK I'm a 2/3 hour drive from going anywhere worth going, especially alone! So I use it basically for commuting and fitness rides with my girlfriend haha. It's a beautiful bike and I love it, I just wish I lived somewhere else. The only thing to ride around here is all flat walkers paths that require 0 suspension hahaha

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 17:36 Quote
dkidd wrote:

There are a bunch of reasons that I'm on an Optic, but the most relevant ones are:
1. Local terrain. I live in Oregon, where the bulk of trails are high speed and low on roots and rocks (at least compared to the Sea to Sky Corridor trails that used to be my stomping grounds),
2. The 2019 Sight is the bike that suited my riding style (I prefer high speed jumpy trails and look for any opportunity to get loose on the trail) better than any bike I've ever ridden, and this is the platform that's closest to that.
3. I've got a DH bike and a Hardtail, but I ended up riding my '19 Sight pretty much everywhere (bike parks and local DH tech included) because I liked it so much. My only complaint was a lack of traction in high-speed tech. The 2020 Optic, despite being 5mm less travel in the back, actually handles high speed rough stuff better than the ('19) Sight, thanks to the slightly longer wheelbase and more rearward wheel travel. It's also lighter and (apparently) laterally stiffer than the Sight.
4. I mean, look at it. Those angles make my pants feel funny.

And I thought it was because you worked for Norco Smile

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 0:04 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
rahrider wrote:

I’m thinking of selling a 2015 899 in red. 3800 miles with termi, comfort seat , pegs, tail tidy etc. owned from new. Full duc history. Mint in every way. £9200

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 5:06 Quote
D8mok wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
rahrider wrote:

I’m thinking of selling a 2015 899 in red. 3800 miles with termi, comfort seat , pegs, tail tidy etc. owned from new. Full duc history. Mint in every way. £9200

DM me some pics!

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 17:11 Quote

Haven’t shared in a while. Got muddy today, it was grand. Truly love riding in the PNW fall.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 19:44 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:

Haven’t shared in a while. Got muddy today, it was grand. Truly love riding in the PNW fall.

now that is a good looking kona

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
Appreciate it, been working hard to make this thing rip while also looking sharp...

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 0:47 Quote
rahrider wrote:

v7fmp wrote:

It's certainly not just about travel. I've been riding ~140 travel 29ers since 2016. Ridden everything from WC XC tracks to Alpine Black DH lines and double black jump lines on the same bike(s).

You can ride pretty much anything on a bike like an Optic. The Optic looks like a great bike.

But there is also no replacement for travel at times. A 125-140mm travel bike can absorb chunder or it can absorb a hard landing. If you land hard into chunder though a shorter travel bike just shits itself. Modern geo and a good suspension setup might help to keep you on the bike and not over the bars, but you're still going to be out of control, pretty solid chance of blowing a hand or a pedal or steering straight off the track.

I would recommend the shit out of a 125-140mm bike to a lot of people, but that doesn't mean there's no need for 170mm+ travel bikes anymore - there definitely is still a need and there's situations where you simply can't replace a lack of travel - particularly if you're trying to go fast or you ride trails blind.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031285
Mobile Version of Website