Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
tom666 wrote:
rahrider wrote:
I don't think it is just about the mm travel. A lot of bike capability gets down to frame, fork and wheel stiffness and geometry. The one place where inches of travel counts most is super high speed or big drops (which is also super high speed). If you were riding this one at whistler bike park and the group you were with were all on DH bikes, you'd be having trouble keeping up probably.
Most of the riding I do is slower, steeper and more technical (north shore etc). I can ride it just as well on a burly hardtail as the speeds are comparatively slow and my hardtail holds a line well. From what I see about the optic, it is definitely not a enduro bike with the pike up front but that being said, you could take it on all the same trails as the range, just slower.

v7fmp wrote:
Good shout. You make some great points. I guess in this day and age it feels like the marketing departments have us all fooled into thinking we need to ride 170mm enduro machines!

It's certainly not just about travel. I've been riding ~140 travel 29ers since 2016. Ridden everything from WC XC tracks to Alpine Black DH lines and double black jump lines on the same bike(s).

You can ride pretty much anything on a bike like an Optic. The Optic looks like a great bike.

But there is also no replacement for travel at times. A 125-140mm travel bike can absorb chunder or it can absorb a hard landing. If you land hard into chunder though a shorter travel bike just shits itself. Modern geo and a good suspension setup might help to keep you on the bike and not over the bars, but you're still going to be out of control, pretty solid chance of blowing a hand or a pedal or steering straight off the track.

I would recommend the shit out of a 125-140mm bike to a lot of people, but that doesn't mean there's no need for 170mm+ travel bikes anymore - there definitely is still a need and there's situations where you simply can't replace a lack of travel - particularly if you're trying to go fast or you ride trails blind.
Well said.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 8:10 Quote
I am back after about a 10-year dry spell! My wife and I picked up these '17 Felt Decree FRD's.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
dkidd wrote:
Well said.

I think you guys killed it with the Optic and Sight this year

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 20:12 Quote
tom666 wrote:
dkidd wrote:
Well said.

I think you guys killed it with the Optic and Sight this year
Salute

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 1:40 Quote
Sick bike man!

Painting those crank arms and pedals black would win you a lot of brownie points with me though

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 6:27 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Sick bike man!

Painting those crank arms and pedals black would win you a lot of brownie points with me though

yeah i’m waiting till i have a bit more spare dollhairs to get some carbon cranks and new pedals, then it should be done for the time being

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 6:50 Quote
@sosburn Those crank arms are very much pig thread worthy.. Nice bike otherwise! Big Grin

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 7:51 Quote
amazing. best look steel hardtail frame around at the moment

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 19:29 Quote
longjohnsilver63 wrote:
nordest bardino

This and the Britango just look so badass.

Sharing mine

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 4:48 Quote
My wife's frame restoration (new paint job) with few upgrades: fork, brakes, transmission.
More pics about the process in the link below:
https://www.facebook.com/barbat.coriolanemmanuel/media_set?set=a.2692501004126749&type=3

Before - over 10 kg

After - below 10 kg

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 6:05 Quote
Is that an eagle cassette with a shimano mech?

It's like pouring pepsi into a coca cola glass Frown

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 6:18 Quote
I use SRAM XD cassettes with Shimano drivetrains all the time. Prefer Shimano shifter/mech and like the weight and 10t cog on SRAM cassettes (Shimano cassettes are always heavy). I think it's a fairly common setup?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023603
Mobile Version of Website