Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 11:04 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
How is that any different to their top end one!?

It's done through their MyO build designer on the website. So you choose the frame build then customise the colourway and parts options. It's an M-Ltd with custom detail and parts.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 11:48 Quote
Just looks so similar

Bit pointless imo

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 0:35 Quote
shaloUCH wrote:
Brasher wrote:
Yep not too fussed at all.

My S-Works Demo8 is 15.3kg with pedals, To be honest that bike is too light and I preferred it when it weighed a bit more. The stumpy evo in the background was 16.6kg and that was the donor bike.

I will appreciate your opinion comparing them (SJ evo vs META). Have been thinking about those frames and would be nice to hear a real world comparison. Thanks in advance !

The META looks like what my ideal bike would be. Cheers !

I would be really interested in what you think of the SJ vs commy as well if you get a chance.
Both fighting for top spot in my new bike fantasy fightout.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 15:18 Quote
Jonnysnow wrote:
shaloUCH wrote:
Brasher wrote:
Yep not too fussed at all.

My S-Works Demo8 is 15.3kg with pedals, To be honest that bike is too light and I preferred it when it weighed a bit more. The stumpy evo in the background was 16.6kg and that was the donor bike.

I will appreciate your opinion comparing them (SJ evo vs META). Have been thinking about those frames and would be nice to hear a real world comparison. Thanks in advance !

The META looks like what my ideal bike would be. Cheers !

I would be really interested in what you think of the SJ vs commy as well if you get a chance.
Both fighting for top spot in my new bike fantasy fightout.

Ok here is a bit of a more comprehensive stumpy Evo vs Meta AM comparison. This is purely based on my short time on the meta and approx 16 months on the Stumpjumper Evo.
I’ll base this on the Pinkbike review format.

• Construction & Features

Both are alloy obviously. The Evo has nicer looking welds and just has that cool prototype look about it. Both are internally cabled and run next to silent with their chainstay protection. The Evo has a threaded bottom bracket whereas the Meta is press fit, I don’t really care much either way. They both can take a 180mm dropper without issue.

• Geometry & Sizing
The stumpy Evo I had was a S3 (475mm reach) and my new Meta is a large (468mm reach) despite the small gap you can definitely feel the difference in reach. I’d say my happy medium is 470 for my 6’ height. The meta has me feeling neutral on the bike where as the stumpy I had to be more forward, but more on that later.

The big difference is Head angle and Chainstay. The Evo is 2 degrees SLACKER which for me as a ex downhiller a welcome advancement but alas I found there is such a thing as having a bike that is too slack. The chainstay is 443mm which I found too long for sharper corners, I also lost my ability to shralp a corner on demand on the Evo. No issues with the Meta there 

The meta has lower standover height which is nice for rowdy descents or jumping.

• Suspension Design
This was the decision maker for me, I have had several FSR suspended bikes before but I really couldn’t gel with the Evo. I tried 5 different shocks on the Evo over the course of a year. In short the rear kinematic is not progressive enough for my liking. Coil shock on the evo resulted in either going high on spring rate and/or compression resulting in a harsh ride and losing the benefit of coil. The EXT storia shock did work well on this bike, however the cost was prohibitive. In the end the best shock I used was a Cane Creek DB Air CS with one big blue spacer, at 210x55 it gave 155mm rear travel. However small bump and midstroke support was lacking. I had a breif test period with a Rockshox Deluxe tuned with Vorsprung fractive shimstack and megneg however for the purpose of this review it was not long enough in use to warrant a review.

The META on the other hand is simple, big pivot with enough progression to run a coil without a stack of compression damping. I run a 550lb spring using a Fox DHX2 damper, set the clickers to Fox’s reccomendations as a starting point and it was great. I am still progressing with my tuning and have sped up LSR a small amount and a tad more LSC for support in berms. I will experiment with a progressive spring when I get my hands on one but I believe this rear end suspension platform is light years ahead of the Evo.

Now one thing I will add, because of the Evo’s head angle it meant the fork spring rate (I run a fox 36 converted to coil) had to be quite soft due to the incidence angle with the ground. When the trails were super steep the fork would be fantastic, however for 95% of riding the head angle just had this strange feeling of feeling of resistance. As a test I swapped the fork to my Ebike with a 66deg HA and all the sudden it was like a light switch had been turned on, the fork was brilliant and I was able to wind in some Compression for once. Indeed the head angle played a huge role on how the front end worked. Swapping the same fork with same spring rate to the META resulted in the same wonderful plushness and traction thanks to the 65.5deg HA.

• Test Bike Setup

Both bikes had the same components minus dropper post and rear shock as I swapped between the two. The Meta I am using a Fox DHX2 with a 550lb steel spring. Both bikes were setup with 30% sag although I am going to try the meta at 33% with a 500lb spring as I think it can cope, if it does I will move to a 500-610 progressive spring.

• Climbing
I don’t climb a lot lol, both bikes get to the top eventually. The Evo was 16.5kg, the Meta is 17.6kg…. I’m approx 100kg….you do the math.

• Descending
The stumpy Geo was fantastic when you were riding super steep stuff, you never got the feeling of going OTB. Australia isn’t known for it’s super steep trails but when I took the Evo to New Zealand for a week of riding Double Blacks it really came into it’s own. Sadly I don’t live in New Zealand so I was stuck with a bike that pushed wide in corners unless you took a SUPER aggressive riding position with a forward biased weight distribution. This riding position can be tiring and it caught me out on the end of some big riding days. You really need to consciously weight the front wheel to get the most out of the EVO. On super fast open sections the long wheelbase and rear end was fantastic. I’m talking 50+kph ski field stuff. It felt like you could almost take your hands off the bars and it would track straight. That will be something I miss about the Evo. However that long rear end and wheebase made sharp switchbacks a pain, It resulted in me using rear brake slides a lot more to initiate the turn on sharper corners. I also lost my ability to square up a corner and shralp it to smithereens which is something I like to do for the fun of it lol.
The Meta Geo feels more short and steep but it’s descending abilities are greater if that makes sense. It just flat out PLUSH in that rear end which inspires confidence to just go full YOLO into a rock garden or take that sketchy line you wouldn’t dare on the Evo. I find I am trying lines I wouldn’t have even contemplated before like hucking into a rock garden rather than just making my way through unscathed. I have definitely regained my ability to shralp with this bike, there is a sharp 90deg corner on my local track that leads into a wide open section, maintaining corner speed means you make a huge speed difference onto that straight. I noticed with the meta I could brake in the leadup, let off then rail the corner resulting in huge exit speed, that same corner on the Evo I had to rear brake slide to maneuver the bike through the section. It’s things like this that really stood out for me.

• Pros & Cons
I appreciated with Long Low Slack thing with the Evo, but it was too slack and maybe a bit too long. The Low BB was not such a matter as I ran the bike in high mode, with a longer fork than standard this also raised the BB a touch more. The Evo excelled in fast and steep riding, the Meta smokes it in every other conceivable way especially in rear end traction and confidence. It’s the downhillers enduro bike to me. Big, burly and plush.

I’ll leave you with this Strava sheet from last weekend, this is a trail I ride a lot. I don't read into strava a whole lot but use it to track my own progress. However I took 14 seconds off my PB with the Meta…. How this is possible astounds me. Of the 4 other people faster than me, 1 rides in the EWS for a factory team, 2 are sponsored rippers and there is me, a balding 34 year old father with a beer gut! So read into that however you like, note I did 3 runs all within a few seconds of each other so it wasn't some satellite glitch or aliens.

In short, the meta rips!

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 16:16 Quote
2019 Trek Fuel EX. Pretty stock. Cane creek helm set at 160mm. Rear is at 140mm. Schwalbe 2.8 Nobby Nic up front. 2.4 conti mountain king in the rear. I do everything on this bike. Shitty Florida trails, to northeast bike parks. No upgrades planned except a XT front brake. Upgrades the rotors already

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 16:30 Quote
...................no dropper?
JK

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 16:34 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
JK
Ha! Nope. Unnecessary.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 19:25 Quote
larryhoover wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
JK
Ha! Nope. Unnecessary.

Mountain bikes are unnecessary. Lol, Oh! you changed your name.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 0:09 Quote
I can't imagine not running a dropper on a trail or Enduro bike any more.

The function they serve is excellent, they're reliable, they don't add that much weight, they're not that expensive. Seems like a no brainer.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 0:58 Quote
Even going from 180mm drop on one of my bikes to 150mm on another feels weird.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 1:08 Quote
tom666 wrote:
I can't imagine not running a dropper on a trail or Enduro bike any more.

The function they serve is excellent, they're reliable, they don't add that much weight, they're not that expensive. Seems like a no brainer.

All valid points.
I just don’t care about a dropper. In fact I care less about a dropper than I do 29in wheels. And I detest 29ers.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 1:09 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
larryhoover wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
JK
Ha! Nope. Unnecessary.

Mountain bikes are unnecessary. Lol, Oh! you changed your name.

I did yes!

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
i bet if you tried a bike with a dropper you would change your mind very quickly.

also how can you “detest” 29ers? if you don’t like how they ride, fine, but having a hatred for a wheel size just sounds ridiculous

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014929
Mobile Version of Website