Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 14:55 Quote
my 2020 meta is 17.6kg total, I wouldn't be surprised that frame/shock is 5kg or more.

She may be thiccc, but I don't have that lingering fear if it will break when I send it off a drop or crash, in fact the trees and animals are in danger of been steamrolled Smile Not the bike

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 15:20 Quote
i rode an alloy bronson the other day and when you pick it up. my goodness. feels like a ton of bricks. Honestly though. if the bike rides lighter than it weighs, then who really cares. that "Heavy" bronson, rode more nimbly than some of the 30lb trail and enduro bikes i've tried.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 16:27 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
10lb frame! I’m out for sure!

That’s crazy! My M9 is that much! And my Uzzi is 8.3 with shock!

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 16:44 Quote
Brasher wrote:
my 2020 meta is 17.6kg total, I wouldn't be surprised that frame/shock is 5kg or more.

She may be thiccc, but I don't have that lingering fear if it will break when I send it off a drop or crash, in fact the trees and animals are in danger of been steamrolled Smile Not the bike

I’d rather climb my heavy ass 2020 Commencal Meta AM 29 than my 2018 Trek Slash Carbon all day. Weight is nothing. Put me on a lightweight XC bike and I bet I don’t climb that much faster.

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 16:55 Quote
Ccouch5859 wrote:
Brasher wrote:

I’d rather climb my heavy ass 2020 Commencal Meta AM 29 than my 2018 Trek Slash Carbon all day. Weight is nothing. Put me on a lightweight XC bike and I bet I don’t climb that much faster.

Why

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 17:07 Quote
I'm approx 100kg ready to ride, when I hop on my buddies Pivot 429 that weighs virtually nothing I still go up the hills slow AF lol.

Put it in eagle gear and sweat Gravy!

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 17:26 Quote
Ccouch5859 wrote:
Brasher wrote:

Ppl obsess so much about weight when kinematics and geometry play a significantly bigger role in pedalability. Weight is simply an easier thing to market and the sheeple think they need a bike 2 lbs lighter than the next bike.
I've done nothing but add weight to my Megatower (sitting at almost 36 lbs) and I keep crushing xc/trail bike bros on the uphills. I hop on my 31 lb Hightower and I'm not noticeably faster, go figure.

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 17:30 Quote
Perhaps it was kinematics/geo but my 33 lb Capra would wear me out after 30-35 miles.

On the other hand, I’ve done many 60+ mile rides on my SB5.5 with lower perceived effort than those 30 milers on the YT. It comes in a bit under 31 lbs.

Minions for both scenarios as well

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 18:05 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
Perhaps it was kinematics/geo but my 33 lb Capra would wear me out after 30-35 miles.

On the other hand, I’ve done many 60+ mile rides on my SB5.5 with lower perceived effort than those 30 milers on the YT. It comes in a bit under 31 lbs.

Minions for both scenarios as well

The Capra is a notoriously bad pedalling bike...
I've done several 50+ km/2000+m rides on my Megatower. The biggest being a 75 km/3000m ride. My old Reign was 5 lbs lighter, had less travel and was significantly worse on long rides. The Hightower can be a little nicer on those long rides, but the designers of that bike designed the kinematics and geo for better pedalling efficiency, so of course it should pedal better..
All that being said the long descents on the Hightower take a bigger toll on my body, so alot of it can depend on the ride plan.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 18:17 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Ccouch5859 wrote:
Brasher wrote:

Ppl obsess so much about weight when kinematics and geometry play a significantly bigger role in pedalability. Weight is simply an easier thing to market and the sheeple think they need a bike 2 lbs lighter than the next bike.
I've done nothing but add weight to my Megatower (sitting at almost 36 lbs) and I keep crushing xc/trail bike bros on the uphills. I hop on my 31 lb Hightower and I'm not noticeably faster, go figure.

to your point, my bike is about 34lbs right now with a coil rear, and i have no issues doing big rides on it, but i do find that i am significantly faster if i swap out tires for lighter duty ones, especially in the rear. makes sense for rolling speed/rotational mass, i think makes a way bigger difference than anything else on the bike, weight-wise

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 18:21 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
Ccouch5859 wrote:

to your point, my bike is about 34lbs right now with a coil rear, and i have no issues doing big rides on it, but i do find that i am significantly faster if i swap out tires for lighter duty ones, especially in the rear. makes sense for rolling speed/rotational mass, i think makes a way bigger difference than anything else on the bike, weight-wise

Sure, but your lighter duty tires likely also have less rolling resistance as rolling weight once moving (unless clearing technical obstacles) doesn't affect efficiency as much as one would think. Accelerating efficiency, yes, ability to maneuver around and over obstacles, sure, ability to carry speed, not so much.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 1:08 Quote
Obsessing about the weight of a frame seems ridiculous to me, that is the weight you will notice the least of.
It is almost completely meaningless, unless it's horrendously heavy.
I've ridden some really light bikes and some really heavy bikes with all kinds of different tires and wheels, and if there's one thing you really notice it's tires, even wheel weight isn't that noticeable.
Slow rolling tires, that is something you really feel on climbs and flat boring trails.
Running full on DH tires on my Enduro bike at the moment, and I will drive to the trail head now whenever it's possible, while I would pedal from home most of the time when I was running faster tires, they really make a difference.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 1:56 Quote
Losvar wrote:
Obsessing about the weight of a frame seems ridiculous to me, that is the weight you will notice the least of.
I've ridden some really light bikes and some really heavy bikes with all kinds of different tires and wheels, and if there's one thing you really notice it's tires, even wheel weight isn't that noticeable.
Slow rolling tires, that is something you really feel on climbs and flat boring trails.
Running full on DH tires on my Enduro bike at the moment, and I will drive to the trail head now whenever it's possible, while I would pedal from home most of the time when I was running faster tires, they really make a difference.

If I pay 2k for an alu frame I dont want the more frame than 4kg.

You dont get what you pay for- the Commencal (yes they are direct I know) cost 1/2 and weight the same.

Its not about the weight per se- its what you get and what you pay as said.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 2:08 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
Losvar wrote:

If I pay 2k for an alu frame I dont want the more frame than 4kg.

You dont get what you pay for- the Commencal (yes they are direct I know) cost 1/2 and weight the same.

Its not about the weight per se- its what you get and what you pay as said.

Yeah, you won't find me disagreeing on the unjustified premium on some alu frames due to the logo on the headtube.
I have one of the lightest alu frames around, but I bought it due to the kinematics and obsession with detail of the manufacturer, weight wasn't much of a consideration.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 3:52 Quote
It's a tad fun too see all these weight's being thrown around since the first thing people think of my Starling is that it's heavy AF. As it pictured here it's around 15kg / 33lbs and I by no means built it to be light, the only light part would be the carbon handle bar...
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030710
Mobile Version of Website