Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 14:51 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
I just got an email from Special ed saying a new bike is coming soon. I think September 24th or in that range.

There's a new Special Ed Stumpjumper on the way for sure. My friend that deals for Specialized has been yapping nonstop about the press release....

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 16:02 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
I just got an email from Special ed

Reminds me of my buddy’s Specialized Pitch Some sharpies and some giggles later, he ended up with a special ed bitch.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
i prefer "fecalized"

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
Nobble wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Nobble wrote:
27.5 or 29? Trail or more enduro?

27.5 optimally. More enduro. But I have no problem "endurofying" a bike with a piggyback shock, wheels. The whole 9 yards
the new stumpy evo is supposed to be pretty cool. The aluminum frames are cheap AF too.

Another option is a Transition Scout or Patrol.

I had an evo, hated the rear suspension.

The rest of the Geo was great, maybe a bit too slack if anything.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 18:48 Quote
Brasher wrote:
Nobble wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:

27.5 optimally. More enduro. But I have no problem "endurofying" a bike with a piggyback shock, wheels. The whole 9 yards
the new stumpy evo is supposed to be pretty cool. The aluminum frames are cheap AF too.

Agreed, even with the “crazy” geometry (which you can now get on plenty of other bikes) evo sucked for everything i wanted it to do cause the rear end did not track whatsoever, and i got it as basically a freeride bike.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 18:51 Quote
I'm waiting to see someone post up one of the new 2021 Commencal Meta AM 29'ers; other than going to a geometron or pole stamina, it's got some of the craziest numbers out there.

Can't wait to see what they think of them.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 19:10 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Brasher wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Agreed, even with the “crazy” geometry (which you can now get on plenty of other bikes) evo sucked for everything i wanted it to do cause the rear end did not track whatsoever, and i got it as basically a freeride bike.
can you clarify what wasn't good about it? Damping, leverage curve, etc?

I suspect it's shipped with a shock that isn't up to the task of the riding that the frame is capable of.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 19:34 Quote
Nobble wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Brasher wrote:

I suspect it's shipped with a shock that isn't up to the task of the riding that the frame is capable of.

it's the frame kinematic, it's as progressive as a limp dick.

The stock shock (DPX2 performance) tune was no good for bigger lads, rebound closed was still too fast. Even with mods to the negative spacer. I sold it pretty quick.

Next up Cane Creek IL Coil, Much better, but becuase the leverage ratio is 9% you need to run a spring rate around ~20ish % sag to avoid smacking the bottom out bumper. 30% sag you could nearly bottom out if you hit a berm fast enough! Running such low sag meant geo/cornering was upset a bit and small bump was shit.

I also snapped a whole bunch of the above shocks at the shaft or the damper body came apart!, Cane Creek got sick of me and actually got me to test their new design which eventually became approved for stumpies.

As part of all the snapping of shocks, they sent me a DB Air CS. This was the best shock of them all. Had decent small bump, good midstroke and bottom out support. I really liked this shock after a LOT of tuning.

I went to NZ for a bit, rode park all day and met a lot of good people, one of them led to me running an EXT storia for a while, this was amazing but I couldn't afford one at the time. Almost made me love the bike again, especially in the super steep stuff in Quenstown.

I ran into Steve from Vorsprung in NZ, he prompted me to try a Superdeluxe with Megneg, this was very good but I only ran this briefly.

I ended up going to commencal Aus HQ to pick up a kids bike, whilst i was there i demo'd a meta AM29 and bought the frame immediately. You know how they say "enduro bikes are like mini DH bikes"? that's a load of bullshit but the meta comes closest IMO. Very plush, very heavy too!

Then all the fixes for the stumpy came out, progressive springs.... linkages from Cascade ETC. I rage quit before they were a thing sadly.

Rest of the bike was sick, maybe a 64.5 Deg HA would have been the sweet spot.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 20:44 Quote
i’ve been bordering on buying an evo frame to replace my hd5 and building it up the last few days as they’re crazy cheap and widely available in my area. this string of comments just saved me from an expensive mistake.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 20:49 Quote
I didnt have quite the shock adventure as you^ but it sucked with the dpx2 so then i had a coil shock on there that shouldve been plush as f*ck and it was still bad. tried different springs, settings, and nothing.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 20:49 Quote
frigofff wrote:
i’ve been bordering on buying an evo frame to replace my hd5 and building it up the last few days as they’re crazy cheap and widely available in my area. this string of comments just saved me from an expensive mistake.

Dude hd5 over evo any day.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 20:54 Quote
hd5 has been as close to perfect as i’ve ever had, i just get antsy and i like tinkering ????

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 21:22 Quote
frigofff wrote:

The grass isn't always greener.

I bought it sight/review unseen. I knew the standard stumpy was very linear but sort of expected the Big S to sort their shit out with such an extreme version. The kinematic and geo are not in the same genre sadly.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
Brasher wrote:
Nobble wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

The stock shock (DPX2 performance) tune was no good for bigger lads, rebound closed was still too fast. Even with mods to the negative spacer. I sold it pretty quick.

Next up Cane Creek IL Coil, Much better, but becuase the leverage ratio is 9% you need to run a spring rate around ~20ish % sag to avoid smacking the bottom out bumper. 30% sag you could nearly bottom out if you hit a berm fast enough! Running such low sag meant geo/cornering was upset a bit and small bump was shit.

I also snapped a whole bunch of the above shocks at the shaft or the damper body came apart!, Cane Creek got sick of me and actually got me to test their new design which eventually became approved for stumpies.

As part of all the snapping of shocks, they sent me a DB Air CS. This was the best shock of them all. Had decent small bump, good midstroke and bottom out support. I really liked this shock after a LOT of tuning.

I went to NZ for a bit, rode park all day and met a lot of good people, one of them led to me running an EXT storia for a while, this was amazing but I couldn't afford one at the time. Almost made me love the bike again, especially in the super steep stuff in Quenstown.

I ran into Steve from Vorsprung in NZ, he prompted me to try a Superdeluxe with Megneg, this was very good but I only ran this briefly.

I ended up going to commencal Aus HQ to pick up a kids bike, whilst i was there i demo'd a meta AM29 and bought the frame immediately. You know how they say "enduro bikes are like mini DH bikes"? that's a load of bullshit but the meta comes closest IMO. Very plush, very heavy too!

Then all the fixes for the stumpy came out, progressive springs.... linkages from Cascade ETC. I rage quit before they were a thing sadly.

Great insight. All things considered, I think i'll cross off the Stumpy evo off my list.I was looking at the banshee's but for some reason i don't like the way they look. Does the lower shock mount remind anyone of the older 26er trance and reign?

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
i am with you here. to my eyes, the bikes are not very good looking. they look like they're from 2008 or something. =/

MTBrandonLee wrote:
Brasher wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Great insight. All things considered, I think i'll cross off the Stumpy evo off my list.I was looking at the banshee's but for some reason i don't like the way they look. Does the lower shock mount remind anyone of the older 26er trance and reign?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026224
Mobile Version of Website