Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
ricochetrabbit wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:
my philosophy is that i want the most robust components possible (to reduce the likelihood of failure) and then i am willing to pay a premium for the engineering to make those parts as light as possible. so i feel that my bike is totally bomb-proof while still being a reasonable weight. also, i have spent several years upgrading parts, so i never had to come up with $10k at once, which would be very hard for me to do. this still didn't stop by buddy from accidentally backing into a fence post while our bikes were over the tailgate and breaking my front wheel last week. so what are you gonna do!

Smart!!

hey how was the shakedown on the new rig by the way? loving it so far?

Thank you for asking. Some take aways:

1. It’s physically a much larger bike. It’s a size L and my trek was a size m/L
2. It’s much more plush.
3 brakes a lot better, but It has been fairly difficult to get used to the front brake being on the left side. And in a bike park is probably not the best way to get used to it
4. It takes much more work to keep momentum than the trek did.
5. The geo is much much more suited for bike park riding.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 8:53 Quote
Are you planning to run right hand front?
Does the rear end specifically feel better than the trek? I have a buddy who has owned just about every knolly bike ever made and he swears by them. How much riding do you get to do around your home as opposed to traveling for it?

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 9:15 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
Does the rear end specifically feel better than the trek? I have a buddy who has owned just about every knolly bike ever made and he swears by them. How much riding do you get to do around your home as opposed to traveling for it?

I do plan to switch the brake orientation yes. I just didn’t have time to re-bleed the brakes before I left for killington
I can’t say that I noticed some thing right away with the rear end of the bike but it was more of just the overall feel. I felt more “in” the bike Rather than on top of the bike like I did on the trek.
I can do a fair amount of riding down here in Florida it’s just that I hate the type of riding here lol. And in the summer it’s unbearable. Starting to cool down a little bit though so I may take the bike out down here but I have several trips planned to wind rock over the winter.

I’m loving the knolly tho. The looks of them are subjective… I think they are fantastic looking bikes and I always have but every single one of my friends thinks it’s ugly

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 9:32 Quote
ricochetrabbit wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

I do plan to switch the brake orientation yes. I just didn’t have time to re-bleed the brakes before I left for killington
I can’t say that I noticed some thing right away with the rear end of the bike but it was more of just the overall feel. I felt more “in” the bike Rather than on top of the bike like I did on the trek.
I can do a fair amount of riding down here in Florida it’s just that I hate the type of riding here lol. And in the summer it’s unbearable. Starting to cool down a little bit though so I may take the bike out down here but I have several trips planned to wind rock over the winter.

I’m loving the knolly tho. The looks of them are subjective… I think they are fantastic looking bikes and I always have but every single one of my friends thinks it’s ugly

haha yeah. rode with a guy a wile back who was from NZ and he was also used to brakes being that orientation. he rented a bike so we just unbolted the levers and swapped them upside down on the other side. problem (for the day) solved at least! i haven't ridden a knolly personally but would be interested to try them out. will be interested to hear some more once you've got a few more hours in the saddle. yeehaw!

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
ricochetrabbit wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

haha yeah. rode with a guy a wile back who was from NZ and he was also used to brakes being that orientation. he rented a bike so we just unbolted the levers and swapped them upside down on the other side. problem (for the day) solved at least! i haven't ridden a knolly personally but would be interested to try them out. will be interested to hear some more once you've got a few more hours in the saddle. yeehaw!

There was a few sketchy moments at the bike park where I forgot the brake orientation, End it an involuntary nose wheelie lol. But so far I am loving the bike. A 180/160 bike is ridiculous for down here in Florida but luckily I have the means to be able to travel to ride.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
Let me start off by saying these were an absolute NIGHTMARE to install with cushcore. Took over an hour for the front. I will not install the rear. Paying a shop. I almost gave up. Also. They were extremely hard to get stateside. Idk why. But it took months for me to find a US vendor.

Anyways. Anyone else running these? DH34 up front and a DH22 in the rear. Recommended pressures? Experience?

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 13:55 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
ricochetrabbit wrote:
adm750 wrote:

shucks...I like high end drivetrains too but my wallet has other ideas. I couldn't imagine having AXS on my ride. it'd be like I won the lottery !

I think the only thing I'd like to do would be to change the mech to a shorter cage, clutch type unit... I only run a 9-speed so shoot....

hmmm...maybe do some lookin' around today. Rolleyes pppffffttt.......I'm not sure what the heck I'd even get... Confused

I’m curious. Why do people act like sram axs is soo expensive you need to win the lottery? It’s only $1600. Pricey, sure. But not unaffordable. Month of rent.

a wild stab in the dark would be that everyone has different amounts of disposable income. and whilst $1600 might 'only' be a month's rent to you, it could be 2 months wages to some (or more!).

I consider a £1000 bike to be 'cheap', some people wouldn't dream of spending that on a car!

That is exactly 2 months of salary for me. "Axs is not that expensive". Lol.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
moferenc wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
ricochetrabbit wrote:

I’m curious. Why do people act like sram axs is soo expensive you need to win the lottery? It’s only $1600. Pricey, sure. But not unaffordable. Month of rent.

a wild stab in the dark would be that everyone has different amounts of disposable income. and whilst $1600 might 'only' be a month's rent to you, it could be 2 months wages to some (or more!).

I consider a £1000 bike to be 'cheap', some people wouldn't dream of spending that on a car!

Are you younger? Live with family? Student?

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
my philosophy is that i want the most robust components possible (to reduce the likelihood of failure) and then i am willing to pay a premium for the engineering to make those parts as light as possible. so i feel that my bike is totally bomb-proof while still being a reasonable weight. also, i have spent several years upgrading parts, so i never had to come up with $10k at once, which would be very hard for me to do. this still didn't stop by buddy from accidentally backing into a fence post while our bikes were over the tailgate and breaking my front wheel last week. so what are you gonna do!

man, i poke about the cheap bike/parts but I truly do get it...and your reasoning is EXACTLY why we drive high end cars. well, let me rephrase that..... that's why I get my wife high end cars... lol

my in-laws complain about it as a "waste of money..!" but there's a BIG difference when it comes to cars. I use high quality replacement parts and keep good tires on it. (nothing like seeing a BMW owner rolling on Firestones...sheezuz...."how's that thing ride Mr. Dumass..?")

sorry about your wheel twonsarelli....that had'ta suck

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
Before we get into that, be aware the median wage for an american worker is less than $40k a year, meaning that $1600 figure is, in fact, way out of reach to most people.

"Let them eat cake" comes to mind.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 14:23 Quote
ricochetrabbit wrote:
moferenc wrote:
v7fmp wrote:

I'm a 34yrs old male living with my girlfriend and a flatmate, haven't been living with my parents since i was 18. Masters in geography, used to teach, now working in retail as a team leader for higher wages. 30% tax on my salary, 27% vat on everything. My monthly income is a tad above the avarage, and since we do not have official data for median, i cannot tell you about that.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 14:29 Quote
another point to make is that while axs is nice(?), there are plenty of other parts of a bike that would benefit from the cost of the ads upgrade.

a guy i ride with occasionally bought the new enduro, the gx-level build, and promptly put the axs shifter/derailleur combo on it, where that extra $1000 could've bought a better rear shock than the stock performance dpx2 (on a 170mm bike...really...) or a better fork, things that would actually make a significant difference in overall ride quality.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 14:49 Quote
Outlier here; AXS feels like ass. I couldn't imagine paying that much of a premium for something that offers no benefit, ergonomic or shift wise, over the current cream of the crop mechanical sets.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 14:56 Quote
moferenc wrote:
ricochetrabbit wrote:
moferenc wrote:

I'm a 34yrs old male living with my girlfriend and a flatmate, haven't been living with my parents since i was 18. Masters in geography, used to teach, now working in retail as a team leader for higher wages. 30% tax on my salary, 27% vat on everything. My monthly income is a tad above the avarage, and since we do not have official data for median, i cannot tell you about that.

30% tax?!?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014456
Mobile Version of Website