Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 16:27 Quote
tom666 wrote:
I think when you have so little to compare it to it's hard to say how it rides really.

Looks super cool though and awesome photos tup

If it’s good it’s good. Long as he’s happy and it helps get him out there again it’s good.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 16:38 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
tom666 wrote:
I think when you have so little to compare it to it's hard to say how it rides really.

Looks super cool though and awesome photos tup

If it’s good it’s good. Long as he’s happy and it helps get him out there again it’s good.

Thank you, i'm grateful to be able to ride again. it rides amazingly! I am a happy camper!

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 1:54 Quote
davidt wrote:
its been 5+ years that i hadn't ridding and am excited to be back on the saddle. I had hip replacement surgery about a year and a half ago and my hip feels amazing and i feel comfy to be back on the bike. I got this off a friend! The bikes Top Tube is about an inch short for me, but i will fix with a 50mm stem. The bike feels AMAZING as is right now. Super Happy. Now i have to re-learn a lot of things and riding.
-
Jamis Hardline A1 Fox Rhythm 36 Float 27.5 FOX Float DPX2 Performance EVOL Mavic XA 27.5 tubeless wheels 15x110mm axle front and 12x148mm rear hubs Shimano XT 1x11-speed SAINT Brakes KS E20i Internal Dropper Southpaw remote
Jamis Hardline A1 Fox Rhythm 36 Float 27.5 FOX Float DPX2 Performance EVOL Mavic XA 27.5 tubeless wheels 15x110mm axle front and 12x148mm rear hubs Shimano XT 1x11-speed SAINT Brakes KS E20i Internal Dropper Southpaw remote
-
Looks good mate.. welcome back and enjoy

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 8:02 Quote
Congrats on the Jamis , those are really good bikes.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 17:33 Quote
Just a heads up to those tossing up between the Hope Pro Fortus 26 rim or the Hope Pro Fortus 30 for proper enduro use, go the 30, the 26 will not cope with high speed rock gardens (at single black level). There were virtually no reviews available for these wheels when I purchased them and went off what they recommended on the Hope website).

Backstory:
-Wheel would be less than 10 rides old
-Spoke tensions have been monitored closely during this period as I know allow wheels tend to settle in (unlike the previously zelvy wheels).
-Hitting a fast single black trail and flattened the sidewall of the rim (through the tyre as there is no marks on the rim) in
a minor rock garden (that I have been smashing on my old 26" Zevy DH carbon rims for the last 9 years without
issue).
-I was running 30psi is the tyre with a 2.5 DD casing Maxxis Aggressor (normally i run a DH casing tyre but this is
what i was able to get hold of for the build).

I will be upgrading to a DH casing 2.4 Dissector in the near future and most likely going to a DT Swiss FR 560 or Maybe a Fortus 30 if thats all I can find.

All I can say is that Im very unimpressed considering the weight of the rim (assumed it would meant stronger but not so).

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 2:50 Quote
What holds up and what doesn't can be very area and rider specific.

Sucks they didn't hold up for you. I think DT swiss FR560 would be a good call next.

Hampshire/Surrey here in the UK we have very little rock. You can get away with a lighter wheelset and EXO tires here for the most part. Even Brendog rugs EXOs on his trail bike here I believe.

Head to Wales, Scotland, the Alps or even just the North of the UK on the same setup though and you'll be in trouble. Wouldn't hold up.

There's also huge deviation in how hard/fast people ride.

As a faster rider in a rocky area you're probably going to need a DH-spec rim and DD/downhill casing tires even on a trail/enduro bike. Hope suggesting a downhill spec setup to your average trail bike rider though would be a disaster. That heavy/slow setup would be completely overkill for most people and would slow them down.

Difficult for them to get it right.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 4:03 Quote
tom666 wrote:
What holds up and what doesn't can be very area and rider specific.

Sucks they didn't hold up for you. I think DT swiss FR560 would be a good call next.

Hampshire/Surrey here in the UK we have very little rock. You can get away with a lighter wheelset and EXO tires here for the most part. Even Brendog rugs EXOs on his trail bike here I believe.

Head to Wales, Scotland, the Alps or even just the North of the UK on the same setup though and you'll be in trouble. Wouldn't hold up.

There's also huge deviation in how hard/fast people ride.

As a faster rider in a rocky area you're probably going to need a DH-spec rim and DD/downhill casing tires even on a trail/enduro bike. Hope suggesting a downhill spec setup to your average trail bike rider though would be a disaster. That heavy/slow setup would be completely overkill for most people and would slow them down.

Difficult for them to get it right.

Yeah will be going back to a dh rim and tyre casing. Was just hoping that i didn't need to.

Was more just wanting to give people a heads up if they were tossing up between the 26 and 30.

It was just that they literally specify that the 26 is for rock gardens. I'm sure the 30 would have been fine.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 4:39 Quote
MrZ32 wrote:

Yeah will be going back to a dh rim and tyre casing. Was just hoping that i didn't need to.

Was more just wanting to give people a heads up if they were tossing up between the 26 and 30.

It was just that they literally specify that the 26 is for rock gardens. I'm sure the 30 would have been fine.

It's annoying mate, but it's also difficult for them to get it right.

To be fair I would probably avoid Hope rims in general. Hope are famous for their in-house CNC work. Their hubs, headsets, pedals, stems etc.

They don't make rims themselves in the UK, they're bought in from somewhere in order to allow them to sell complete wheelsets. I wouldn't go for Hope's bought-in rims over a rim from DT Swiss, Stans, Mavic or another purpose rim manufacturer, if I had the choice.

Stans Flow MK3 is a fantastic rim. Very respectable weight but you see them widely used in world cup downhill, EWS etc. That might be another avenue to explore. Anecdotally I've got a set of Flow MK3 laced to Pro4s that have been awesome - but like I said I do live somewhere pretty easy on wheels.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 4:51 Quote

My new 2020 Ibis Mojo HD5 with a slew of oil slick upgrades. More upgrades this coming week (cranks, brakes, derailleur, etc.). I’ll post a thread with pics when I’m done.
This is my return to mountain biking! I’m 36 and I’ve taken the last decade off of riding. I’m so happy to be back. It’s funny because I feel more balls-to-the-wall than I ever did before. Too bad my body will take twice as long to heal, lol!

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 5:03 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Stans Flow MK3 is a fantastic rim. Very respectable weight but you see them widely used in world cup downhill, EWS etc. That might be another avenue to explore. Anecdotally I've got a set of Flow MK3 laced to Pro4s that have been awesome - but like I said I do live somewhere pretty easy on wheels.

In my neck of the woods, Flow MK3 is not a good rim for the long run. On paper it is awesome, but it is sooooo soft. Dents easily, and cracks along the spoke holes. I have FUBAR-ed 4 MK3s before giving up on them. And I know of 2 more riders who cracked 2 or more MK3s. Dozen other with dented rims in multiple spots. DT swiss EX 471, EX511, even XM 481 just keep going and going.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 5:37 Quote
shoshy wrote:
tom666 wrote:

In my neck of the woods, Flow MK3 is not a good rim for the long run. On paper it is awesome, but it is sooooo soft. Dents easily, and cracks along the spoke holes. I have FUBAR-ed 4 MK3s before giving up on them. And I know of 2 more riders who cracked 2 or more MK3s. Dozen other with dented rims in multiple spots. DT swiss EX 471, EX511, even XM 481 just keep going and going.

I'll take your word for it. For me they've always worked well but they do have an easy life here, like I said.

I do know EX471 and EX511 to be excellent.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
You might try a tire insert. That will go a long way to making sure your rims last longer.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 9:01 Quote
Like Tom pointed out, I'm not surprised a company not known for their rims isn't making/selling very good stuff.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
It is amazing how people can have such divergent experiences with the same product. I blew up a carbon rear wheel a few years ago and grabbed a pair of crank brothers iodine wheels so I’d have something to use while I got my broken wheel replaced. I loved the iodines and shredded them without incident. Later on, I sold them to a buddy who is a bit heavier but also a bit slower and he absolutely destroyed them!

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 9:37 Quote
A lot of it has to do with how people ride. Even I at a touch over 60kg can destroy a wheel if I try, most of the time though I have pretty much no issues.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017640
Mobile Version of Website