Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 1:24 Quote
I have, not bad just not better... run conti on my road bike and ran em on gravel. I'm not die hard maxxis only, I've given most other popular tires a shot over the years abs just never found anything that really blew me away. HR, HR2, DHF, and the newer DHR have all been really consistently good here, really happy with the Dissector too... so just not a lot of motivation to switch aside from trying new things just to try en. Would like to try the teravail kessel at some point, heard good things and the profile seems to fit what works around here so I'll likely give em a shot somewhere down the road. I'd also like to try some fatter Rekon's... heard a few people running 2.6's have really good things to say about them so might try that at some point too.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 2:17 Quote
For me, for mostly dry trails you can’t beat maxxis but for proper wet loam you can’t beat schwable, I’m running mary out front and Betty on the rear and I’ve never had such confidence over wet roots and in slop, their compounds and tread patterns can’t be beaten imo.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 2:30 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
For me, for mostly dry trails you can’t beat maxxis but for proper wet loam you can’t beat schwable, I’m running mary out front and Betty on the rear and I’ve never had such confidence over wet roots and in slop, their compounds and tread patterns can’t be beaten imo.

True story. Especially if it's slimy. Minions slide, while Magic Mary just holds. And cleans up much better.
Such a shame that knobs keep ripping out at a record breaking pace..

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 2:39 Quote
I've found the Maxxis Shorty works supremely well for my local flavour of winter slop.

I've barely deviated from Maxxis over the past 20 years, the few times I've gone elsewhere for tyres I've been disappointed and I find them too expensive to experiment with most of the time.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 2:44 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:

You haven’t tried the Michelin DH34/22 combo. Smile

Continental Der Kaiser/der barons are good also.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 3:38 Quote
I really want to try that conti combo but find it hard to stray away from schwable. I just got rid of a set of the Michelin wild enduros, really not that great. Back doesn’t brake well enough in steep loam and the front was too hard to grip on wet roots. The dh ones look cool but they’re too heavy for a bike I actually pedal around.

The shortys are good but I found they aren’t as good as Mary’s over wet roots and rocks. They are abit too mud specific whereas the Mary grips everywhere, even dry hard pack

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 3:42 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
I really want to try that conti combo but find it hard to stray away from schwable. I just got rid of a set of the Michelin wild enduros, really not that great. Back doesn’t brake well enough in steep loam and the front was too hard to grip on wet roots. The dh ones look cool but they’re too heavy for a bike I actually pedal around.

The shortys are good but I found they aren’t as good as Mary’s over wet roots and rocks. They are abit too mud specific whereas the Mary grips everywhere, even dry hard pack

The wild enduros are much much different than the DH34/22. They do weigh a ton tho.

I would compare the wild enduros to a minion dhf/dhr maybe

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 4:13 Quote
running conti mountain kings is a bitter memory for me. terrible sidewall support, knobs stiff af. i was either getting pinched at the bead, or skidding left and right on any trail.
wtb tyres were pretty nice, but rather expensive. now the bronson has 2.35 sg magic mary f/r, purple and orange compounds. a pig to pedal tho.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 6:08 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I did not get along with semi slicks or short knobbies like Rekon or Ardent race. I ended up on Bonti's XR4's as I don't require heavy duty tires. They roll really well and grip well too.
Bontrager XR4’s are actually shit hot. My old man swears by his rear one on his HT and I never understood it, always thought they were a bit naff on my 26 Remedy but I tried it recently and they’re really good, have a lot more grip in the wet and on slick trails than I was expecting tbh

I’m currently riding 2.3 Orange Mary rear and a 2.5 WTB Verdict Wet on the front of my Five right now and it’s kinda rough on long uphills. Definitely isn’t a nice combo for pedalling on when you’re already unfit as f*ck haha.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 6:23 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:

I guess it's very terrain dependent. Riding in Scotland (Tweed Valley, Dunkeld mostly) I've found the Wild Enduros to be superb. What kind of tyre pressures do you run?

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 6:50 Quote

I leave the Shorty MG on for most of the year in Scotland. Drags a bit but for lockdown laps it is fine. 18 front DD. Rune V3 climbs well.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
Zebs looking good on that. Drive side pics??

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

I guess it's very terrain dependent. Riding in Scotland (Tweed Valley, Dunkeld mostly) I've found the Wild Enduros to be superb. What kind of tyre pressures do you run?

I agree with you both, had the wild enduros on my remedy and now have a MM, big betty combo on my meta. Don't think you can go wrong with either set up to be honest, if you wanted to be really picky then the michelins would be slightly better in the summer and schwalbe in the winter. Not the michelin DH though, far too heavy for me.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:07 Quote
700-pirate wrote:

I leave the Shorty MG on for most of the year in Scotland. Drags a bit but for lockdown laps it is fine. 18 front DD. Rune V3 climbs well.

Damn that is looking good. new banshees climb very good.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

I ran 20/24 with the wild enduros which was strange to me at first as I used to run 23/29 on my snakeskin and exo combo but the casing was so perfect on the Michelin’s you can get away with such low pressure. I did have the magi x on the front which was abit hard for the cold weather but still couldn’t get on with the almost semi slick rear. Was ok for built trails but for more secret steep stuff I just had no braking.
I’m sold on super gravity, purple Mary front, orange Betty rear and I’ll probably just get another aggressor for rear summer duties

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014356
Mobile Version of Website