Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 20:14 Quote
Riding my 38 I have hit drops with good landings and haven’t used the last 10mm of travel.

I have used all the travel but like Ajax said it for when shit goes wrong.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 20:17 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
I’d get the Capra in 27.5. More travel + smaller wheels = more fun.
More travel isn't necessarily more fun. Shorter travel lets you pop off of stuff more easily and easier to boost stuff, which smaller wheels already make those things easier and shorter travel helps. So to me, shorter traveled smaller wheeled bikes are more fun than longer travel small wheel bikes

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 22:28 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

that thing looks so rad! how are you liking the EXT stuff? a buddy of mine just got a fork from them and we spent some time yesterday tying to dial it. he's having a hard time getting close to bottom-out without running significantly lower pressure than recommended so i am curious to hear how it is going for others.

I am loving my ERA. But im actually having the exact opposite problem. I have had to go way over the rec settings on the ++ chamber to keep from bottoming mine out. Im 205-210lbs on a 160 ERA.

This makes me think maybe something else is going on. Linking up with him tomorrow and will pass along this info. Thanks

Well the guys at SS say they’re hearing mostly that people are having the issue your buddy’s having. So I may be an outlier somehow

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 0:51 Quote
All the reading I’ve been doing say the recommended settings feel firm, racey and hard to use all the travel. I might take the lowers off mine to see if there’s any air trapped in the lowers

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 6:42 Quote
These are all good points. I just think there is no point in having 160mm of travel if you can only use 130, even in the most extreme situations. However, he said he’s still getting good sensitivity off the top and he likes the mid-stroke support. It’s a complex game for sure.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
Kamiizoo wrote:
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
I’d get the Capra in 27.5. More travel + smaller wheels = more fun.
More travel isn't necessarily more fun. Shorter travel lets you pop off of stuff more easily and easier to boost stuff, which smaller wheels already make those things easier and shorter travel helps. So to me, shorter traveled smaller wheeled bikes are more fun than longer travel small wheel bikes

But he, (the OP) wants the occasional park days, so short travel makes the bike less capable and fun in that scenario. It’s all personal preference I guess. I’d rather have too much than not enough.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 13:27 Quote
One of the best suspension tuning tips, as stupid as it sounds.... CUT THE TRAVEL INDICATOR O-RING OFF!

That was given to me By Steve from Vorsprung as we shared a lift up the Gondola in Queenstown, I picked his brain as much as I could in those 6-7 mins haha.

If the bike is riding well, sensitive off the top, composure in the mid stroke and not bottoming out... sounds like the spring is dialled!

Those 20mm you aint using, you will get there eventually, because your confidence in your setup will increase.

The O-ring indicator isn't even too useful for setting sag. I bet if you did a fork sag test in the same gear 3 times in short succession, each time the sag % would be different. It's useful for a first initial setup, but after that listen to the voice in your head saying "this is too firm" or "this feels too wallowy"

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 17:31 Quote
steve-miller wrote:

YES. How is it?

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Not using all of your travel isn't indicative of a set up error.

This. If you're happy with the traction and the ride quality and it's soaking everything up, then why is it a problem if you're not using all the travel? It's actually a good thing because you've got it in reserve.

tom666 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Not using all of your travel isn't indicative of a set up error.

This. If you're happy with the traction and the ride quality and it's soaking everything up, then why is it a problem if you're not using all the travel? It's actually a good thing because you've got it in reserve.

the point i was making is that in the situation where the reserves would necessary, the travel still wasn't being used. basically, he hit a wall at ~130mm of his 160mm travel. it isn't a problem in the sense that this caused him to crash or something, just that he'd probably like to have the ability to use all the travel, otherwise he wouldn't bother lugging it around! we rode yesterday and he tweaked some more and said he's happy with it now.

hows the morph going?!

If he's happy with it now then that's great.

There's no point using travel for the sake of it. The harder you can run it whilst still having plenty of grip and not finding it too harsh, the better. Don't feel under any obligation to use all the travel.

My Morph is running sweet thanks man - can't wait for bikeparks to open!

Also everyones version of sending it is really hard is different......

mtbman1980 wrote:
Also everyones version of sending it is really hard is different......

No doubt about it. His philosophy is that he should be running his setup such that the very biggest hit he’s going to encounter on any of his usual rides will result in full travel used. That way everything else he rides will only use as much travel as is really appropriate, meaning he’s got reserves for the 99% of the riding he does. I think it’s a solid approach so I just wanted to find out how others were doing with their EXT forks, since he found the settings recommendations too highly sprung and too heavily damped. He’s a tinkerer, though, and after a few days of testing has it feeling really good. So now I’m off the hook for slow-mo videos and trailside feedback! Woo wooo

I don’t suppose you remember if his era was “sucked” down when it has no air in. Im wondering if this is why mine is feeling very soft, it’s like it’s been built bottomed out and when it’s inflated it is still being sucked down by the negative air pressure in the lowers

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013602
Mobile Version of Website