Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Author Message
Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 16:09 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
Jasonbourne wrote:
Idk why the 34E exists. Makes sense for the 36E tho

Why does it make sense for 36e and not the 34e. Going by the logic that it is about as stiff and heavy as a 38 like the 34 is, you lose the better airspring of the 38. Not to mention on an ebike the thicker stanchions will likely be more aesthetically pleasing matching the large downtube and often headtube.

Newbermuda
Does your friend have some numbers and has he measured other forks to compare them too?
Because what ebike would come speckd with a 34? Why spec a 34 on a ebike is more of what I’m getting at.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 16:48 Quote
let me clear some things up

pre 2021 36 Ebike use a 34 air spring (green spacers) and can only go up to 160mm, grip 2 fits. Works good and I'd throw that fork on a "acoustic" without question. The airspring is nice.

2021 36's Ebike same as normal 36 with a different tune (believe it or not, lighter compression/rebound tune weirdly)

38 Ebike and Normal are the same minus 1 shim on the compression tune, basically a sticker/marketing job

My advice, get a 36 rhythm or Z1, chuck a grip2 in it and service the airspring properly.

38's make sense for big dudes or ebikes for sure. Something I'm ticking both boxes with this dadbod.

Source - having all these god damn forks apart at one time or another lol.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 16:58 Quote
Brasher wrote:
let me clear some things up

pre 2021 36 Ebike use a 34 air spring (green spacers) and can only go up to 160mm, grip 2 fits. Works good and I'd throw that fork on a "acoustic" without question. The airspring is nice.

2021 36's Ebike same as normal 36 with a different tune (believe it or not, lighter compression/rebound tune weirdly)

38 Ebike and Normal are the same minus 1 shim on the compression tune, basically a sticker/marketing job

My advice, get a 36 rhythm or Z1, chuck a grip2 in it and service the airspring properly.

38's make sense for big dudes or ebikes for sure. Something I'm ticking both boxes with this dadbod.

Source - having all these god damn forks apart at one time or another lol.

Let me pick your brain. I have a 2021 36E Factory 160mm on my Salsa Rustler 27.5. I weigh 196lbs. I went to the Fox website to use their recommended settings for that fork. But I’m guessing those recommended settings are based on an E bike and not a non-ebike so in your opinion should I go down with psi and rebound, high speed rebound, compression etc. or should I increase

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 17:13 Quote
BrendanB229 wrote:

From an engineering perspective I would believe the 38 is superior to the 36e for two reasons:
1) if the thicker walls is true the the 38 would have a greater oil volume in the damper, thus preventing suspension fade.
2) since most of your forces are at the furthest point from the center, the larger diameter is still going to be stiffer than a smaller diameter thicker walled shaft.

Does Rockshox specify if there are E-MTB forks or just Fox?
Preventing fade is only really needed in shocks and not forks. There is a reason we have piggy back shocks and not forks. There is enough oil in forks to not have fade in the first place really. I don't think rs has e-mtb forks, but don't quote me on that.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 17:39 Quote
Jasonbourne wrote:
Brasher wrote:
let me clear some things up

pre 2021 36 Ebike use a 34 air spring (green spacers) and can only go up to 160mm, grip 2 fits. Works good and I'd throw that fork on a "acoustic" without question. The airspring is nice.

2021 36's Ebike same as normal 36 with a different tune (believe it or not, lighter compression/rebound tune weirdly)

38 Ebike and Normal are the same minus 1 shim on the compression tune, basically a sticker/marketing job

My advice, get a 36 rhythm or Z1, chuck a grip2 in it and service the airspring properly.

38's make sense for big dudes or ebikes for sure. Something I'm ticking both boxes with this dadbod.

Source - having all these god damn forks apart at one time or another lol.

Let me pick your brain. I have a 2021 36E Factory 160mm on my Salsa Rustler 27.5. I weigh 196lbs. I went to the Fox website to use their recommended settings for that fork. But I’m guessing those recommended settings are based on an E bike and not a non-ebike so in your opinion should I go down with psi and rebound, high speed rebound, compression etc. or should I increase

Same principles apply to setting up a bike be it Eeb or not in my opinion.

I'd go with the chart as a guide, see how it rides and adjust from there remembering this:

spring rate (psi) is what holds the bike up, it's the bread and butter... get this correct and everything else is icing on the cake. Spring rate will dictate the bikes geometry.

Try to aim to 15-20% sag, but sag is just a reference point. Don't stress about that o-ring because I guarantee if you checked sag 3 times with the same pressure, the fork sag will turn out different every time more or less.

You want a pressure that is compliant, but not wallowy, maintains geometry and suits the speed you ride.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 17:40 Quote
Brasher wrote:
Jasonbourne wrote:
Brasher wrote:
let me clear some things up

pre 2021 36 Ebike use a 34 air spring (green spacers) and can only go up to 160mm, grip 2 fits. Works good and I'd throw that fork on a "acoustic" without question. The airspring is nice.

2021 36's Ebike same as normal 36 with a different tune (believe it or not, lighter compression/rebound tune weirdly)

38 Ebike and Normal are the same minus 1 shim on the compression tune, basically a sticker/marketing job

My advice, get a 36 rhythm or Z1, chuck a grip2 in it and service the airspring properly.

38's make sense for big dudes or ebikes for sure. Something I'm ticking both boxes with this dadbod.

Source - having all these god damn forks apart at one time or another lol.

Let me pick your brain. I have a 2021 36E Factory 160mm on my Salsa Rustler 27.5. I weigh 196lbs. I went to the Fox website to use their recommended settings for that fork. But I’m guessing those recommended settings are based on an E bike and not a non-ebike so in your opinion should I go down with psi and rebound, high speed rebound, compression etc. or should I increase

Same principles apply to setting up a bike be it Eeb or not in my opinion.

I'd go with the chart as a guide, see how it rides and adjust from there remembering this:

spring rate (psi) is what holds the bike up, it's the bread and butter... get this correct and everything else is icing on the cake. Spring rate will dictate the bikes geometry.

Try to aim to 15-20% sag, but sag is just a reference point. Don't stress about that o-ring because I guarantee if you checked sag 3 times with the same pressure, the fork sag will turn out different every time more or less.

You want a pressure that is compliant, but not wallowy, maintains geometry and suits the speed you ride.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. Much appreciated

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 17:48 Quote
BrendanB229 wrote:
Sweet lookin' Trek there! DPX2? Couldn't see if it had the piggy-back
Nice bike, like that paint job on that frame too

~JSV

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 20:21 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
BrendanB229 wrote:
Sweet lookin' Trek there! DPX2? Couldn't see if it had the piggy-back
Nice bike, like that paint job on that frame too

~JSV

Stock DPS with the biggest token it can take.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 20:22 Quote
Kamiizoo wrote:
BrendanB229 wrote:

From an engineering perspective I would believe the 38 is superior to the 36e for two reasons:
1) if the thicker walls is true the the 38 would have a greater oil volume in the damper, thus preventing suspension fade.
2) since most of your forces are at the furthest point from the center, the larger diameter is still going to be stiffer than a smaller diameter thicker walled shaft.

Does Rockshox specify if there are E-MTB forks or just Fox?
Preventing fade is only really needed in shocks and not forks. There is a reason we have piggy back shocks and not forks. There is enough oil in forks to not have fade in the first place really. I don't think rs has e-mtb forks, but don't quote me on that.

I agree with you 100% about the fade, it was more a hypothetical. I can’t imagine how cooked your back shock would be if you managed to get fade in a fork.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 20:37 Quote
BrendanB229 wrote:

I agree with you 100% about the fade, it was more a hypothetical. I can’t imagine how cooked your back shock would be if you managed to get fade in a fork.
probably a ht by that point.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
Jasonbourne wrote:
2021 Pike ultimate or 2021 Fox 36 Factory?

Debating with a friend.

Neither. Mezzer Pro tup

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
Jasonbourne wrote:
2021 Pike ultimate or 2021 Fox 36 Factory?

Debating with a friend.

I think the pike is more equivalent to the 34?

Pike ~= 34
Lyrik ~= 36
Zeb ~= 38

Between a Pike Ultimate and a 34/36 factory there's not going to be much in it performance wise - they're all top notch, so I'd be swayed by
1) Which suits the bike best that it's going on, aesthetically and functionally
2) The deal you can get. If one is a few hunnit bucks cheaper that's significant. Can either just save the money or put it towards an upgrade somewhere else on the bike - getting you some weight savings or trickness elsewhere

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 9:10 Quote
skierdud89 wrote:
Jasonbourne wrote:
2021 Pike ultimate or 2021 Fox 36 Factory?

Debating with a friend.

Neither. Mezzer Pro tup

Ugly tho

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 9:37 Quote
Jasonbourne wrote:
skierdud89 wrote:
Jasonbourne wrote:
2021 Pike ultimate or 2021 Fox 36 Factory?

Debating with a friend.

Neither. Mezzer Pro tup

Ugly tho
Oooohhhh ok. Here I thought we were talking about which fork performs better not just their looks. My bad. Also I know looks are subjective but the Mezzer is black with a simple Manitou sticker on it. Not really sure how that would rub someone the wrong way lol

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
skierdud89 wrote:
Jasonbourne wrote:
skierdud89 wrote:


Neither. Mezzer Pro tup

Ugly tho
Oooohhhh ok. Here I thought we were talking about which fork performs better not just their looks. My bad. Also I know looks are subjective but the Mezzer is black with a simple Manitou sticker on it. Not really sure how that would rub someone the wrong way lol

funny that you say "the wrong way"...haha


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013428
Mobile Version of Website