Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 13:31 Quote

There's a buy/sell section in Pinkbike. The forums aren't the place.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
I see you're pretty new to PB but as others said no selling in the forums!

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=3269

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 16:03 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
tom666 wrote:
Jasonbourne wrote:
2021 Pike ultimate or 2021 Fox 36 Factory?

Debating with a friend.

I think the pike is more equivalent to the 34?

Pike ~= 34
Lyrik ~= 36
Zeb ~= 38

Between a Pike Ultimate and a 34/36 factory there's not going to be much in it performance wise - they're all top notch, so I'd be swayed by
1) Which suits the bike best that it's going on, aesthetically and functionally
2) The deal you can get. If one is a few hunnit bucks cheaper that's significant. Can either just save the money or put it towards an upgrade somewhere else on the bike - getting you some weight savings or trickness elsewhere

I don't know if I misunderstood your info, but the PIKEs are 35mm stancions not 34 (unless this was some kind of performance thing you were noting and not the actual size/measurements. I have the PIKE, it's 35mm.

~JSV

I was trying to suggest that those are the fox forks they're equivalent to. The Pike and the Lyrik are both 35mm but there's a weight/strength difference that makes one a competitor to the 34 and one a competitor to the 36

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 16:58 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
Fox's new stuff is super simple to service at home just need oil and you are good to go.

The older sealed cartridge stuff is less user friendly but the stuff based around Marzocchi damper is easy like my 38.

The dust wipers are not as long lasting as Rockshock though I had to replace my 38 seals after about a years worth of use compared to never on my rockshox stuff.

Servicing Fox forks for the first time often revealed bad assembly, not enough oil and overtight
Don’t mind changing seals, it means they are doing their job

I started running Fox around 2011 and never had those issues in at least 8 forks now.

I actually started running Fox due to those issues with RS, the final nail for me was a bad shock right out of the box on my ‘15 Nomad. They replaced it with a new one, but with an entirely different non-matching decal.

I would like to try RS again some day, but I just haven’t had a great reason or opportunity recently.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 18:55 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
Fox's new stuff is super simple to service at home just need oil and you are good to go.

The older sealed cartridge stuff is less user friendly but the stuff based around Marzocchi damper is easy like my 38.

The dust wipers are not as long lasting as Rockshock though I had to replace my 38 seals after about a years worth of use compared to never on my rockshox stuff.

Been running lyriks for several years and thought they were the bomb but the new ‘21 36 is sooo good. Always thought rockshox rear shocks were crap though. The super deluxe on my Capra was unbearable (not to mention lacking much adjustability) and after upgrading to an X2 the bike came alive.

Servicing Fox forks for the first time often revealed bad assembly, not enough oil and overtight
Don’t mind changing seals, it means they are doing their job

I started running Fox around 2011 and never had those issues in at least 8 forks now.

I actually started running Fox due to those issues with RS, the final nail for me was a bad shock right out of the box on my ‘15 Nomad. They replaced it with a new one, but with an entirely different non-matching decal.

I would like to try RS again some day, but I just haven’t had a great reason or opportunity recently.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:11 Quote
@GekoES
I like that Banshee a lot. Nice color too, I might add. Looks like you've got the meg-neg on the RS if I'm correct.

Question though, do you have the DHR2 you're running on the front? This is something I was just contemplating and would like to hear why you tried that, and if you like it up front or how it's working out as a front tire.

Took my first ride w/the DHR2 29x2.6 yesterday. I noticed when I was looking at the tread that it MAY make even a good FRONT tire, so I thought I'd ask when I saw your pic's here. I have RS PIKEs too.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:13 Quote
Lots of people run the DHR2 as a front tire. It looses a little bit of rolling but gains a lot of braking compared to DHF.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Lots of people run the DHR2 as a front tire. It looses a little bit of rolling but gains a lot of braking compared to DHF.
So how is it you think steering. I think I'm curious about something that performs well when steering through rocky rooty descents.
I don't do serious DH or a lot of ski slope, but I do ride a lot in New England trails/woods, where it's often hilly and plenty of rocks and roots up-n-downhill quite often. Ideally I'd like to find the tire that handles finding lines through those sections. This stock Butcher really isn't that bad, but it's a mix between the tire wanting lower PSI for grip, and the tire feeling more stable with higher PSI.
So on mostly softer ground I might like this tire but it gives up too quickly on rough stuff with lower PSI.

That DHR2 followed well yesterday. Never felt the back end getting away. Ran it a little over 25 psi.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
This is true. I’ve been running them, (DHRII) front and rear for a few years now. I think they’re better than a DHF, which I have also run front and rear before.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
So how is it you think steering. I think I'm curious about something that performs well when steering through rocky rooty descents.
I don't do serious DH or a lot of ski slope, but I do ride a lot in New England trails/woods, where it's often hilly and plenty of rocks and roots up-n-downhill quite often. Ideally I'd like to find the tire that handles finding lines through those sections. This stock Butcher really isn't that bad, but it's a mix between the tire wanting lower PSI for grip, and the tire feeling more stable with higher PSI.
So on mostly softer ground I might like this tire but it gives up too quickly on rough stuff with lower PSI.

That DHR2 followed well yesterday. Never felt the back end getting away. Ran it a little over 25 psi.

~JSV

Those butchers are trash imo. They fold over if you look at them the wrong way. Any tire will feel better in the chunk.

that being said the DHR 2 is good for a front/rear set up, a lot of bikes come like that stock (or used to at least), my buddy runs his bronson like that and it holds up.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 9:10 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
This is true. I’ve been running them, (DHRII) front and rear for a few years now. I think they’re better than a DHF, which I have also run front and rear before.

I have never been a dhf fan I always find they wear a bit too fast for my liking. I have run DHF front and rear and like that combo. Current setup is Assegai front with DHF rear (the only double down tire I could find locally last year)

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 10:50 Quote
So you're running the DHF on the rear and that works out well too. That Assegai was actually my first thought for the front, that or the Dissector. I've been more confused about tires than probably anything else lol. I'm really giving this DHR2 for the front some consideration though.

@newbermuda
You're right about that Butcher. I guess that's what I was noticing. The tire kind of works 'ok' when it's got higher PSI, but when you want the lower PSI to get more sidewall grip, it folds too fast with any speed pushing through turns or turning through rocky sections. Maybe if they firmed-up those sidewalls they'd have a decent tire there.

I can't say enough how much I appreciate the info here. It seems on the PB forums riders aren't buying into their own product. When most riders here actually DON'T like what they're using, or were using, you're all very candid and seemingly honest about it. That's important whe you're trying to trust others' advice.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 11:24 Quote
DHF in the rear lacks some climbing and braking traction. Not really an issue for me since most of my climbs are long gravel road climbs.

I am a huge fan of the Assegai up front.

I found the Dissector to wear fairly fast but it is a great tire otherwise that was in the rear.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 11:29 Quote
assegai in the front is good but rolls like a slug.
Dissector is okay but more of a rear tire, or a front on a shorter travel/xc bike. dhf front/dhr rear is a good combo if not dual dhr.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014184
Mobile Version of Website