Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 1:34 Quote
Had a spare 650b wheel with a minion 2.5 SS lying around so I figured I'd try the whole mullet setup. Will be nice not to cop quite so much tyre buzz on the steeps, gain slightly lower gearing and potentially a snappier ride.

I had to drop the bars and change the seat angle.. it changed so much that it was required.

Looking forward to seeing how it feels on the trail..

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 6:33 Quote
Sambolo wrote:
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
Inserts just don't appeal to me, only place I'd consider them would be for a hardtail or ebike. I used to burp tires and puncture all the time when I rode an xc on a hardtail with lightweight tires and lower pressures for comfort. Now that I run midweight (DD or grid trail) tires and more reasonable pressures ~23/27psi F/R (varies with casing type and size) I almost never burp or puncture. Even if I lived somewhere rockier I would just go with heavier tire

I especially question why people pair inserts with carbon wheels, as the impact protection is usually better than alloy and inserts offset any weight savings. I've also seen more than a couple blown up carbon wheels even with cushcore pro. Combined with warranties getting better for carbon rims I don't see the point.

And yeah, Marin definitely doesn't have natural steep tech tracks. Avoid at all costs Wink

It depends rider weight, riding style, riding terrain, tires and pressures used. You also benefit for being able to use lower pressures. I have broke wheels with DD casing without inserts. Now holding good with hope fortus 30 wheels, super gravity tires and pepis rokkline inserts. I weight over 230lbs with gear and use pressures ~23/25psi, anything more and the riding and traction is quite horrible, atleast on the front tire, at rear I might use higher pressure if its really rocky.

Cushcore also really changes the feel of the bike, quiets the bike and makes it feel more composed over chatter.
Personally since going to cushcore about 3 years ago I have virtually eliminated flats (have torn one sidewall in 3 years w/ cushcore, used to be every couple of months) and have only gone through one rear wheel (after 7000 km of abuse, used to be going through several rear rims in a year).

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:14 Quote
Definitely depends on how/what you ride. I don't see not running Cushcore now after trying it. I haven't been able to lower my pressure but considering I've been burping the rear at 30 psi (and occasionally the front) Cc has been a welcome way to almost completely eliminate that. Most of my flats have been tire ending so I don't expect to see a difference there, but I'll take the stability all day.

That said, if I were cruising XC or flat trails no chance I'd take the weight penalty.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
MrZ32 wrote:
Had a spare 650b wheel with a minion 2.5 SS lying around so I figured I'd try the whole mullet setup. Will be nice not to cop quite so much tyre buzz on the steeps, gain slightly lower gearing and potentially a snappier ride.

I had to drop the bars and change the seat angle.. it changed so much that it was required.

Looking forward to seeing how it feels on the trail..

Looks like it’ll be fun

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:56 Quote
Wrp link is a good option if you have too much pedal strikes and want to keep the bike mullet

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 17:56 Quote
I tried what you are doing with your Meta on mine.

Hope your health insurance is up to date because you are going to snag a pedal big time! It's deadly low. But man it handles insane.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 18:50 Quote
Brasher wrote:
I tried what you are doing with your Meta on mine.

Hope your health insurance is up to date because you are going to snag a pedal big time! It's deadly low. But man it handles insane.

Cheers, I'll keep that in mind. Im not too concerned re strikes but good point re ride height and increased stability.

I'll just have to be a bit more careful on some of my tech climbs (re the bashguard already kisses logs), I'll just have to work a lil harder and pop over those spots.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 18:59 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
Wrp link is a good option if you have too much pedal strikes and want to keep the bike mullet

TBH, I'll probably go back for normal riding but run it mullet when doing park days (where pedalling isnt really something that is required).

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 1:56 Quote
Hi there. New to this thread. This is my XC-Down Country-All Mountain-commuting-Enduro-MiniDH bike.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 2:26 Quote
Bitelio wrote:
Hi there. New to this thread. This is my XC-Down Country-All Mountain-commuting-Enduro-MiniDH bike.

Nicely executed build.. nice.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
Had unsub'd this thread a while back when it kept constantly devolving into irrelevant arguments. Looks like it's cooled down enough to come back. Please don't prove me wrong lol
here is my latest steed:
2021 Patrol XL 27.5 F R 180mm Zeb Coil F R 38lbs
'21 Transition Patrol, XL
27.5" wheels front and rear (#cutthemullet)
180mm Smashpot coil Zeb
Avy'd Bomber CR rear (65mm stroke for 170mm travel)
Exo Assguy front w/ rimpact classic insert
DD Aggressor rear w/ rimpact pro insert
~38lbs
Set in low mode it has about the same listed angles as the stock (mullet) high mode, but with a whopping 26mm of BB drop, which feels pretty low, but not unmanageable once I got use to it. Will probably run in high mode most of the time though, putting HTA at right around 64d.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 8:39 Quote
Isn't 27.5 wheel on front is a problem when bottoming out? bb will be a lot closer to ground

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 9:09 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
Isn't 27.5 wheel on front is a problem when bottoming out? bb will be a lot closer to ground

It's still not as low as some of the lower DH bikes out there at full bottom out. But sure it will be lower than a lot of 29" trail bikes

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 9:21 Quote
that thing looks awesome. nice job

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 9:22 Quote
Bitelio wrote:

Very nice. Which intend fork is that. I run a flash on my kavenz and it’s incredible. How are you liking yours?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019383
Mobile Version of Website