Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Oct 30, 2021 at 16:35 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
How worn was the idler? Shimano derailleur idlers seem to last for roughly a billion hours.
the force running through a derailleur pulley is totally different to that in a high pivot. the high pivot idler is on the side of the chain that is under tension. which would create much more stress on the idler pivot bearing, than is applied to the derailleur pulley which is only under the tension of your derailleur spring.

Posted: Oct 30, 2021 at 18:04 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
How worn was the idler? Shimano derailleur idlers seem to last for roughly a billion hours.

The narrow teeth were significantly hooked- more than any chainring or cog I’ve ever seen. It is a wear item and I would say the life of the idler is about the same as a chainring. I tend to swap chainrings/chains/cassettes more often than most but I do ride more than any of my riding buddies, so maybe the mileage is comparable.

Posted: Oct 30, 2021 at 19:17 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
Just replaced my highlander idler after about 140 hours of ride time. I clean the bike and lube the drivetrain between every ride. I’ve also replaced the inboard idler bearing once (I ride in dry conditions 99% of the time so I took the seals out to reduce drag). I probably should have replaced the idler a bit sooner, maybe 125 hours or so. Aside from that, the bike is business as usual. About to install Shimano 12 speed to try that out, as I’ve been on SRAM for the last 6 years and hear Shimano 12 speed is the bomb. Will update with pics soon.

I had no issues with my eagle setup but I don't think I'll ever go back now after running XT 12 speed this season. it just feels like it works better all around.

Posted: Oct 30, 2021 at 21:06 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:
Just replaced my highlander idler after about 140 hours of ride time. I clean the bike and lube the drivetrain between every ride. I’ve also replaced the inboard idler bearing once (I ride in dry conditions 99% of the time so I took the seals out to reduce drag). I probably should have replaced the idler a bit sooner, maybe 125 hours or so. Aside from that, the bike is business as usual. About to install Shimano 12 speed to try that out, as I’ve been on SRAM for the last 6 years and hear Shimano 12 speed is the bomb. Will update with pics soon.

I had no issues with my eagle setup but I don't think I'll ever go back now after running XT 12 speed this season. it just feels like it works better all around.

I ran AXS when I built the bike up and just couldn’t get it to work perfectly, so I switched shifter/derailleur to Shimano but still ran the SRAM cassette/chain/crank. Got all that on the way and will swap out in a couple days. Stoked to check it out

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 16:42 Quote
fully converted to XT/SLX drivetrain (wolf tooth chainring for SRAM > Shimano compatibility) on the nox wheels
also installed some rev grips hand guards for winter riding through the sage

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 10:26 Quote
Ok guys and girls, I'm looking around for a new bike and I am looking at the evil calling. I have heard of people having problems with them squeaking and creaking really bad. Is this true? I'm looking for a good bike to "jib" around on. Thank you!

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 12:12 Quote
noakeabean wrote:
Ok guys and girls, I'm looking around for a new bike and I am looking at the evil calling. I have heard of people having problems with them squeaking and creaking really bad. Is this true? I'm looking for a good bike to "jib" around on. Thank you!

Iffy warranty practices and over complicated/finicky suspension design is a no go in my book.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 12:28 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
noakeabean wrote:

Iffy warranty practices and over complicated/finicky suspension design is a no go in my book.

They look fun but when you compare these two points to other brands it's hard to want to buy.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
noakeabean wrote:

Not complicated they just look complicated at first glance. It is a linkage driven single pivot.

I have heard of issues with creaking though so that might be an issue for you.

I have no clue what would make a good Jib play bike other than something with a short wheelbase and a little less travel good luck in your search.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 13:17 Quote

Never owned a Calling, but my Insurgent was problem free and zero creaking/squeaking. Customer service was good too, answering questions and helping with the build. As a matter of fact, this bike was dead silent with the Onxy hubs.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 13:17 Quote
What fork is that??? Such a sick build!
fredro wrote:

Never owned a Calling, but my Insurgent was problem free and zero creaking/squeaking. Customer service was good too, answering questions and helping with the build. As a matter of fact, this bike was dead silent with the Onxy hubs.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
noakeabean wrote:

Not complicated they just look complicated at first glance. It is a linkage driven single pivot.

I have no clue what would make a good Jib play bike other than something with a short wheelbase and a little less travel good luck in your search.

Short chainstay and a suspension platform with good mid stroke support tends to make a bike that likes to get playful.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
Petiloi wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

Short chainstay and a suspension platform with good mid stroke support tends to make a bike that likes to get playful.
So like a santa cruz 5010 or evil calling? I don't know too much about mid-stroke and stuff like that.

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
@noakeabean- Fork is X-Fusion Metric. One of the best forks I've owned/ridden. tup

Posted: Nov 2, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
fredro wrote:
@noakeabean- Fork is X-Fusion Metric. One of the best forks I've owned/ridden. tup
How did you get it to look like that?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019454
Mobile Version of Website