Chain skipping mystery

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Chain skipping mystery
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 10:38 Quote
First of all sorry about my bad english Smile

I have problem with my 3x8 speed setup. I install 8 speed cassette and in last two gears (7. and 8.) chain is skipping under the load. Then I install 9 speed cassette and everything is allright, no skipping.
Shifters are Shimano 8 speed dual controlo, chain is new for 8 speed cassette, chainline is ok.
I try three different 8 speed cassette and two chain, two derailleurs, two shifers, two bottom brackets , then I try new wheel, and chain is skipping again. Chainline is ok, derailleurs is setup correctly.

Conclusion is that chain is skipping on any 8 speed cassette, and on 9 speed don't, what can go wrong?
Hub is Shimano FH-M530

Tnx

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 at 18:13 Quote
is it a 9spd chain???

Posted: Dec 10, 2011 at 4:18 Quote
jagarcia89 wrote:
is it a 9spd chain???
What he said.
I had a couple of weeks of head scratching, until I realised I had the wrong chain on for the cassette.
Even if it said 8 speed on the chain box, it might have been labeled wrong.

Posted: Dec 14, 2011 at 9:39 Quote
Khreat wrote:
jagarcia89 wrote:
is it a 9spd chain???
What he said.
I had a couple of weeks of head scratching, until I realised I had the wrong chain on for the cassette.
Even if it said 8 speed on the chain box, it might have been labeled wrong.

Exactly. Problem solved chain was labeled wrong

Posted: Dec 16, 2011 at 12:34 Quote
i have the same problem, my set up is a e*thirteen guide ring, sram 9 speed chain,red win cassette,sram 9 speed chain deore mech, slx shifter, they are all new, i thought a new chain would fix the problem but it is still there, the chain is for sure 9 speed. What my chain does is it skips in the easiest gear and shift very slowly but all gears work so i dont know the problem, help?

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 12:37 Quote
Does it skip teeth, or skip gears? I'm not sure if sram and shimano are compatible, as I've only used shimano, but think I've been told before that mixing can cause issues, but this may be shifter/mech mixing.
You've changed pretty much all the drive train so if, like me, you aren't an experienced cycle mechanic you might not have set something up properly. I'd go through the tech tuesday's covering instalation of everything you put on, and make sure you've not missed anything.
Also, when did it start happening? was it after putting the chain device on? Chain looks quite short.
rb246 wrote:
i have the same problem, my set up is a e*thirteen guide ring, sram 9 speed chain,red win cassette,sram 9 speed chain deore mech, slx shifter, they are all new, i thought a new chain would fix the problem but it is still there, the chain is for sure 9 speed. What my chain does is it skips in the easiest gear and shift very slowly but all gears work so i dont know the problem, help?

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 13:09 Quote
rb246 wrote:

i work in a bikeshop, and 9/10 times when someone brings a bike in with this problem it is because of the incompatibility of sram and shimano. Sram runs with a 1:1 ratio, meaning for the exact amount of distance you put on the trigger when shifting, that same distance is applied on the derailleur as it moves up and down the cassete. Shimano on the other hand runs 1:2 (i think, not sure) and when you combine the two, the derailleur is not close enough to the cassette due to its difference in actuation ratio.

Or it could be the wrong speed chain, or even the teeth on your cassete are worn

Good luck!

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 13:16 Quote
Make sure the outer cable is gear cable and not brake cable,this will make the shifting feel slow and will actually lock sometimes.

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 13:20 Quote
gregg wrote:
rb246 wrote:

i work in a bikeshop, and 9/10 times when someone brings a bike in with this problem it is because of the incompatibility of sram and shimano.

Maybe I'm missing something but aren't SLX and Deore both Shimano parts?

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 19:16 Quote
Have you guys not read, he figured it out. It was what I originally suggested that the chain had been mis-labled and he was mixing 8 and 9 speed components

Posted: Dec 19, 2011 at 1:11 Quote
[quote]Maybe I'm missing something but aren't SLX and Deore both Shimano parts?[/Quote]
oops! misread his post - my mistake

Posted: Dec 19, 2011 at 4:37 Quote
jagarcia89 wrote:
Have you guys not read, he figured it out. It was what I originally suggested that the chain had been mis-labled and he was mixing 8 and 9 speed components

Did you miss where rb3246 was asking ?

Posted: Dec 19, 2011 at 12:22 Quote
Hapex, glad you got yours sortedBig Grin , It's good when people confirm when something works, otherwise it's pointless looking through old threads for an answer to a question.

Posted: Dec 19, 2011 at 12:24 Quote
The mech and selector are both Shimano, yea, but what is the cassette?
I've not heard of it before, and I thought that was an area of incompatibility.

Posted: Dec 19, 2011 at 15:40 Quote
Khreat wrote:
The mech and selector are both Shimano, yea, but what is the cassette?
I've not heard of it before, and I thought that was an area of incompatibility.

All shimano/sram cassettes and chains are compatible with each other so long as the speed is right.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013065
Mobile Version of Website