Transition Bikes; Post them

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Bikes; Post them
Posted: Jan 9, 2018 at 7:44 Quote
YetiStew wrote:
Just fitted an MRP Ribbon, now to take a degree in Quantum Mechanics so I can figure out how to set it up!
photo

looks killer, I want a patrol super bad

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2018 at 19:34 Quote
Smuggler
Smuggler.
Okay. The snow started melting (end of ski season) and it was time to take my brand new Smuggler to Moab.
This bike is amazing.
I went from being completely stoked on my Santa Cruz Bronson to loving the longer top tube/overall geometry of the Smuggler. I've got long arms and torso and the bike fits me great. I was worried the 29'er tires would make turning and agility slower/more awkward...no way. This bike corners like a dream and is so easy to roll up step-ups I had problems getting over before and rolling down steeper angles that I was not as confident on.
I do plenty of pedaling uphill and it's smooth and maneuverable on climbs.
Stoked.

Posted: Jan 14, 2018 at 7:24 Quote
katdw wrote:
Smuggler
Smuggler.
Looks like a fun bike, let us know how it rides!

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 9:00 Quote
photo

Just picked this up on Friday.It rips and I love it already. Changed out bar/stem last night and looking for a new set of tires. TA 29 in a size Large. Will pick up a dropper and new brakes once winter is over!

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 9:26 Quote
larrythelamb wrote:
photo

Just picked this up on Friday.It rips and I love it already. Changed out bar/stem last night and looking for a new set of tires. TA 29 in a size Large. Will pick up a dropper and new brakes once winter is over!

cool ... did you end up going with wider bar and shorter stem?

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 9:39 Quote
neorider wrote:
larrythelamb wrote:
photo

Just picked this up on Friday. It rips and I love it already. Changed out bar/stem last night and looking for a new set of tires. TA 29 in a size Large. Will pick up a dropper and new brakes once winter is over!

cool ... did you end up going with wider bar and shorter stem?

Thanks! I went with a RF Aeffect Stem 50mm and RF Bar 785mm. Same size bar, shorter stem but it matches with black/black color combo.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 10:22 Quote
behold my steeds. giddy up! TR500 & Patrol

TR500 Patrol

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 10:35 Quote
Nice, matchy matchy. tup

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 20:35 Quote
Hey everyone! This is my first post on pinkbike, I've been riding for about a year and a half now and am hoping to upgrade bikes sometime soon. I'll be buying a transition because I can get a great deal on one through a friend, and am struggling with which one will be best for me. My options are Smuggler, Scout, and Sentinel. Here are my thoughts on each bike:

Smuggler:
Seems like a good all-around trail bike, I know someone that owns and loves his, but not sure it's quite enough bike for me as I like to ride some more gnary trails and go to the bike park every now and then.

Scout:
This bike seems like it has the ideal travel/geo for me, however I really think I would like 29" wheels; I live in northern CO and there's just so many damn rocks out here lol. Will I miss the roll-over of a 29er or will I notice that much of a difference? I'm currently on a 26" bike from 2010 so either size will be better than what I have now, but I have ridden a friend's 29er multiple times and really fell in love with how easily it went over rocks & roots.

Sentinel:
Really thought I would be buying this bike when I saw the specs but after hearing reviews I'm not so sure. It just seems more DH oriented than I think I would like. My immediately local trails are techy, somewhat tight, and more XC oriented than not. That being said, I do a lot of riding on steeper terrain as well, just not as often since I have to drive at least 45 minutes to get to those trails. Will this bike be tolerable to pedal on tight and techy trails when I don't have time drive to the steeper stuff?

If the scout were a 29er, I would be buying that without a doubt, but since TR doesn't make that bike I feel I'm stuck in between compromises.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 20:41 Quote
The Smuggler is pretty close to a 29er Scout. At least in the way it rides. Put a 150 fork on it. I am in love with my 2017 Smuggler. But I wouldn't take it to the park..........my park is Whistler. No idea what yours is like.

The Sentinel is a great bike. So fun. Climbs great for what it is. Impossible to tell you how it would be on your trails. On the North Shore of Vancouver it will be a killer bike.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 23:40 Quote
I had a smuggler and it was killer. It was an all day trail bike but seriously bombed the downhills. Whistler is my closest park too and there's no way I would take it there.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 11:54 Quote
photo

photo

A bit of snow today. Changed bars and stem to a RF 50mm stem and 35mmx780mm bar along with a Thomson post! Just need brakes pads, and a set of tires! Only have front brake right now.

Frame:
Large TransAm 29er
Fork/Headset:
RockShox Revelation/ Cane Creek
Crankset/Bottom Bracket:
Shimano XT
Pedals:
Crank Bros Candy 3
Drivetrain/Cog/Chainring/Chain:
SRAM XO1 10-42
Derailleurs/Shifters:
SRAM XO1
Handlebars/Stem:
Race Face Aeffect R 35x780 20mm Rise/ Race Face Aeffect 50mm
Saddle/Seatpost:
Forte Carbon/Thomson Elite 30.9x367
Brakes:
Avid Juicy 7 Levers// Ultimate F/R Calipers// Shimano 180F/160R
Front Wheel/Hub/Tire:
Stans ZTR Flow/Revolver/Maxxis Ardent 2.4
Rear Wheel/Hub/Tire:
Stans Arch EX/Stans/Kenda Nevegal 2.2
Accessories:
ODI Elite Pro Lock-On Grips/Mucky Nutz Face Fender

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2018 at 8:15 Quote
How is the paint holding up? Looking at the Carbon Smugg and i'm trying to decide between the glossy black/white and the matte blue/black.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 17:54 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
I had a smuggler and it was killer. It was an all day trail bike but seriously bombed the downhills. Whistler is my closest park too and there's no way I would take it there.
Yeah it's probably not best suited for that. Though I have hit some pretty big park features and lines with my Scout...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014546
Mobile Version of Website