Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 9:48 Quote
TheGnome wrote:
I know, I build a jump that wasn't a table top and some loser destroyed the lip and made it into a table top. Its disgusting. After hours and hours and in less than ten minute they can destroy it all. Amazing.

how about actually considering other trail users and not build stuff thats unrideable for lower skilled riders? tables are great for everyone, if your skilled you gap it just the same, if your not your not having a trip to the local hospital when you case the shit out of it. yeah its more work, but not a great deal more as your takeoff/landing doesnt need propping up the same.

if it a private trail ignore all of the above and f*ck those guys.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
There were table tops less than 400 meters away.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 16:45 Quote
Alright guys, I recently proposed some trail ideas to our local Parks and Rec. They've got behind it, along with our small community. It's an awesome feeling and we are going fast. Our facebook is growing! All great signs for a small town.

Here is my (and a few volunteers) first try and trail building ever. It took me a while to get the hang of the tools, but we got a rythm going. Here are some pics, and help or comments appricieated! This is a multi use walking/green bike trail.

photo
photo

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
sustainability in the wet may be an issue, whats your weather like across the year? that type of soil retains a lot of moisture and doesnt compact very well, itll soon tear up if its wet for too long. can you see about funding for some fine stone/hardcore to surface it all with? it would be a lot more durable

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 5:55 Quote
Hi there thanks for the feed back. This is my first try and I'm learning as we go. I know it's not perfect.

We got a BIG storm last night and I got eyes on the trail. There was no standing water on the trail so thats good at least This is just a rough cut. I could feel how soft the top layer is which leads me to beleive we idnt get to the mineral soil layer

We plan to go back and recut the top layer again to smooth out the lumps and also make it easier to compact.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 13:42 Quote
continue to put plants on the sides of the trail, it will avoid erosion.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 17:58 Quote
Thank and we will do that!

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 23:16 Quote
Hey guys. For a long time I did not write news about our bike park. By the end of the year we will receive the status of an official city park. This year all trails were repaired and a contest was held on August 24th. Here is our video, enjoy your viewing. P.S. almost the entire park was built by hand with shovels.
Views: 134    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 3:45 Quote
building a trail called For Hucks Sake got any recomendationson building in the side of a steep hill

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 21:53 Quote
lifeondirt wrote:
Hey guys. For a long time I did not write news about our bike park. By the end of the year we will receive the status of an official city park. This year all trails were repaired and a contest was held on August 24th. Here is our video, enjoy your viewing. P.S. almost the entire park was built by hand with shovels.
Views: 134    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Really cool, grats!!

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2020 at 22:16 Quote
Ok I have something that I can’t get out of my head. If there is an small section of trail that is usually pretty muddy and soft, do you think a sprinkle of cement would help firm up the area? I’m not thinking of making a sidewalk, but just dust it over the trail surface. Do you think if it was then wetted it would hold? Or maybe there wouldn’t be enough cement there to effectively form polymers to create any kind of surface. If anyone knows cement well/ or has experience trying anything similar I’d love some input.

Posted: Apr 17, 2020 at 0:40 Quote
jfkusa wrote:
Ok I have something that I can’t get out of my head. If there is an small section of trail that is usually pretty muddy and soft, do you think a sprinkle of cement would help firm up the area? I’m not thinking of making a sidewalk, but just dust it over the trail surface. Do you think if it was then wetted it would hold? Or maybe there wouldn’t be enough cement there to effectively form polymers to create any kind of surface. If anyone knows cement well/ or has experience trying anything similar I’d love some input.

Nah that won't work, beter off making some kind of sump and then collecting any rocks and stones you can find in the area and just chuck them on and stamp them in to firm it up.

Posted: Apr 17, 2020 at 2:17 Quote
There is an industrial method of stabilising soil which more or less involves a massive machine that picks up the top meter or so of soil, mixes it with cement, and lays it back down and compacts it. It works very well for bad ground to then put industrial units or housing on. They still require proper footings, but it does help with boggy/erosion heavy areas.

I doubt just sprinkling it on would do anything, you'd need to dig a good layer up, mix it well in and then pack it back down. The time and trouble would probably be better spent doing a proper job if possible, you'd probably need a 25kg bag of cement per 2 square meters of trail, if not more, depending just how bad it is, and whether its organic or mineral soil.

Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 6:54 Quote
This is why north shore has so much wood. Build bridges skinnies. Etc

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016483
Mobile Version of Website