Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 17:31 Quote
JacobyDH wrote:
buildstuf wrote:
JacobyDH wrote:
What do you guys recommend for really dry steep land/slopes. I’m trying to plan out a project, and the land is dried clay. Almost no amount of water will change that. I want to build berms, and jumps, however I don’t know how realistic it is. Any ideas for making the process easier?

Rake and freeride until there is wetter ground...

If you want to really put work into it then I'd suggest waiting until a long period of rain and aiming to dig these features into the side of the hill, as opposed to on a bench which juts out of the hill. It's a lot of digging but its normally the best way to go on awkward terrain.
Thank you for the tips! If we simulated the rain with lots of water would that work? There is a slight deadline, as the person I’m working with has to go in a little while, and big rain here in NorCal can be a hit or miss thing depending on the year.
I'm sure it would work given enough water but judging by how you describe the terrain and past posts etc it seems as if you'll need alot of water. Half of the time whenever I find a piece of hill which is too steep/loose/dry I will just rake it and ride it fall line until I reach more build able terrain. Never neglect freeride lines as they can be a whole lot of fun.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 17:39 Quote
buildstuf wrote:
JacobyDH wrote:
buildstuf wrote:

Rake and freeride until there is wetter ground...

If you want to really put work into it then I'd suggest waiting until a long period of rain and aiming to dig these features into the side of the hill, as opposed to on a bench which juts out of the hill. It's a lot of digging but its normally the best way to go on awkward terrain.
Thank you for the tips! If we simulated the rain with lots of water would that work? There is a slight deadline, as the person I’m working with has to go in a little while, and big rain here in NorCal can be a hit or miss thing depending on the year.
I'm sure it would work given enough water but judging by how you describe the terrain and past posts etc it seems as if you'll need alot of water. Half of the time whenever I find a piece of hill which is too steep/loose/dry I will just rake it and ride it fall line until I reach more build able terrain. Never neglect freeride lines as they can be a whole lot of fun.
Yeah, the pics I’ve posted are of mostly shaded area after the rain. Unfortunately this build will be in my backyard, so I don’t have too much space, and I cant wait too long. I’m sure we’ll figure something out, but thank you for your help!

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 0:52 Quote
The trees on the hill my trails are on recently had to be clear felled of larch so the trails took a beating, we've been building a new line through the area that's worst affected, because British weather is bipolar and there's no trees, the 3 weeks of intense sun we've had left everything a pile of dust (our dirt is mudstone, a mix of clay, sand and small rocks) so I took a watering can and Jerry can up to see if it would help, luckily we've got a natural spring that runs all year maybe 100ft down the hill from the trails, 75 litres of water has got 2 pretty big berms and 2 jumps actually rideable. Obviously your ground may react differently to it, but if I had to take water further, you can get roll along water carriers for caravans/motor homes, I was eyeing them up but with the distance it wasn't worth the expenditure when I already had the Jerry can. Biggest thing I could recommend if you were to try it, wet it in layers, otherwise you end up with a hard cap over soft stuff, and don't try hitting it with a spade till it's had at least an hour to soak in, and even then we sometimes use some dust to in effect flour the dirt/tools so it doesn't stick.

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 1:23 Quote
Things just get beter, we have another set of trails on private land, we have 5 trails there, all super steep and loose, we had an agreement with the land owner to not cut trees, to leave no dig pits and to not cross the Cotswold way ( an ancient right of way ).
Well some new lads have showed up, wrecked the woods with shitty jumps, left huge dig pits and have made the track end on the Costwold way, landowner is angry as f*ck and has taken his JCB to the bottom of the trails and is now working on destroying every thing top to bottom, gutted, devastated and depressed now, we have put 5-6 years into this spot.
Another DH spot of our got clear cut last year so now I have no where that has DH trails of my own anymore, so incredibly gutted man.

Posted: May 24, 2020 at 16:10 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Things just get beter, we have another set of trails on private land, we have 5 trails there, all super steep and loose, we had an agreement with the land owner to not cut trees, to leave no dig pits and to not cross the Cotswold way ( an ancient right of way ).
Well some new lads have showed up, wrecked the woods with shitty jumps, left huge dig pits and have made the track end on the Costwold way, landowner is angry as f*ck and has taken his JCB to the bottom of the trails and is now working on destroying every thing top to bottom, gutted, devastated and depressed now, we have put 5-6 years into this spot.
Another DH spot of our got clear cut last year so now I have no where that has DH trails of my own anymore, so incredibly gutted man.
Damn, that sucks big time. Any chance you think you'll be able to repair relations with the owner?

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 4:43 Quote
thook wrote:
bigburd wrote:
Damn, that sucks big time. Any chance you think you'll be able to repair relations with the owner?

We are going to give him tll winter to calm down a bit and have a chat with him, I could make all the tracks stay away from the road crossing, but geting others to stick to this is the problem, seems like so many younger riders can't undertand that this is HIS land and his rules are final, he was so genrous letting us there anyway, the whole area has a long and messy history of complications between landowners and bikers, doesn't help the area is very wealthy and horse obsessed so when they phone the police shit happens fast!

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 6:06 Quote
Is there any signage up already to let people know what’s what? That would be where I would start...

Basically say this is a private trail, all new building requires consultation with the head trail builder, and give a contact number. You then deal with the landowner and keep within his rules.

Failure to comply will amount to criminal damage and the police will be informed. That kind of thing?

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 10:38 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
Is there any signage up already to let people know what’s what? That would be where I would start...

Basically say this is a private trail, all new building requires consultation with the head trail builder, and give a contact number. You then deal with the landowner and keep within his rules.

Failure to comply will amount to criminal damage and the police will be informed. That kind of thing?

It's a strange situation there, he doesn't mind us being there generally, but he doesn't exactly love us being there either, as long as we are just in the background not making his day hard he can put up with us being there.
Anything we bother him with is too much really, it's literally his land and he had no bother before we turned up.
Stuff like signage will be a step too far for him when it's easier just to get rid of us all really.
The problem is non local and younger riders, they just turn up to places and don't speak with local builders or riders and just start smashing the place up, before even knowing anything about the situation, this area of the Cotswolds has a long and messy on going battle for access, and between horse riders and bikers.
We were there on a gentlemans agreement, which got broken by bikers so that's it as far as landowner is concerned, and not the 1st time either...Anothr time some lads made some shady jump, a guy crashed broke his hip and ambulance had to cut locks on his gates to get access.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 11:39 Quote
Even if you guys just took it upon yourselves to put signs up?

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 12:48 Quote
Might try some thing like this in the winter when we go back there, but I think it's kinda cheeky putting signs up in other peoples property, though I probably will try, such a unique hillside, incredibly steep in places loads of quarry pits and stuff to carve and jump.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 10:03 Quote
anybody know how to transport water from a creek about 100 feet lower and 400 feet away from a trail im building without just carrying it, its a really steep hill and takes like 15 minutes to do a round trip.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 10:28 Quote
rangerdanger2001 wrote:
anybody know how to transport water from a creek about 100 feet lower and 400 feet away from a trail im building without just carrying it, its a really steep hill and takes like 15 minutes to do a round trip.
Simple! Use the ancient and proven technique used by the Greeks, and Romans years back!:
Drink it, wait a little while, walk to where you need it, and let it out!
It doesn’t get any cheaper, or easier than that!

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 10:49 Quote
rangerdanger2001 wrote:

You could build a ram pump, and get 400 feet of distribution line.

The cost benefit of that is going to be very contextual.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 10:57 Quote
rangerdanger2001 wrote:

What's the ground like for sharp rocks etc? There's roll along water carriers for caravans, might not be overly durable though. The other option is a water bladder for a wheelbarrow, can get 80l ones pretty cheap.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 11:04 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
rangerdanger2001 wrote:

You could build a ram pump, and get 400 feet of distribution line.

The cost benefit of that is going to be very contextual.
how big would the ram pump need to be, and would it really be able to lift water up almost 100 ft of vertical slope

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006209
Mobile Version of Website