Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
Griffin-McLinn wrote:
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
Just slap him and tell him to stop being a bitch and grab a spade. Trails don't build themselves. Either that or find some new friends who do want to dig.

HA HA, I'm sending this to him, but we're best friends, plus we're kinda co-owners of the trails so it wouldn't be right to exclude him and start building with someone else.

I have the same situation...

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 10:12 Quote
p-m-z wrote:
Griffin-McLinn wrote:
Just slap him and tell him to stop being a bitch and grab a spade. Trails don't build themselves. Either that or find some new friends who do want to dig.

HA HA, I'm sending this to him, but we're best friends, plus we're kinda co-owners of the trails so it wouldn't be right to exclude him and start building with someone else.

Have you come up with a solution?

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 10:14 Quote
Griffin-McLinn wrote:
p-m-z wrote:
Griffin-McLinn wrote:

Nope. I just dig when I want to and if he doesn't help, I get the credit.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
p-m-z wrote:
Griffin-McLinn wrote:
p-m-z wrote:

Nope. I just dig when I want to and if he doesn't help, I get the credit.

Sounds like a good plan. One idea I've come up with is, I keep him involved in all the decision-making and designing of the trails that we started together so I'm not excluding him and so he's okay with me building on my own, and I do the manual work so they get done. And if I start my own trail I do all the work whenever I want.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
Just dig, make things how you want them, if I dig alone won't take others into consideration in term of style of build etc, but if I get help then I say my plan, and they can have thier voice too and we can work together, if he's your mate you should just guilt trip him into helping out, he should just offer really.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
Griffin-McLinn wrote:

If he's your best mate then that's even more reasonable to give him a slap. Especially if he wants to claim co-ownership. I get the not bringing someone else in, but maybe actually talk to him about it and see if either he's willing to step his shit up or if he's cool with you getting outside help.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 23:18 Quote
Griffin-McLinn wrote:

If he's your best mate then that's even more reasonable to give him a slap. Especially if he wants to claim co-ownership. I get the not bringing someone else in, but maybe actually talk to him about it and see if either he's willing to step his shit up or if he's cool with you getting outside help.
Same problem... For me what has worked best has been either to A) Split everything up into tasks, and split up the tasks, or B) This would work better with mates: make some sort of schedule/reward, for example we work for two hours each day of the week, but asuming that we are working, on Fridays we only ride.

Hope these help... And it might be worth noting that my bud, is also slav...Wink

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 7:53 Quote
Had a big build day this last Saturday, took me and my friend 3 hours to cut through a log that wasn't huge but was elevated in the air like a bridge and was laying directly across the trail. It was incredibly frustrating but we were able to finish the big trail we'd been working on for a while now, and finish a brand new trail from start to finish in the same day (full trail we build was really short, raw/flowy loam, with no berms or features, minimal work). Does anyone know a good way to cut through a dead tree (elevated or laying on the ground) without any power tools? We have 3 hand saws, one for small branches, one with small teeth, and one hacksaw with big teeth, and a machete and hatchet at our disposal. Just looking for any strategies to cut through a big tree with these tools in a faster and more efficient way. Let me know what you've got.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 8:03 Quote
Griffin-McLinn wrote:
Had a big build day this last Saturday, took me and my friend 3 hours to cut through a log that wasn't huge but was elevated in the air like a bridge and was laying directly across the trail. It was incredibly frustrating but we were able to finish the big trail we'd been working on for a while now, and finish a brand new trail from start to finish in the same day (full trail we build was really short, raw/flowy loam, with no berms or features, minimal work). Does anyone know a good way to cut through a dead tree (elevated or laying on the ground) without any power tools? We have 3 hand saws, one for small branches, one with small teeth, and one hacksaw with big teeth, and a machete and hatchet at our disposal. Just looking for any strategies to cut through a big tree with these tools in a faster and more efficient way. Let me know what you've got.

You should put something under the log to support it. Then you can cut the log without it bouncing up and down.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
Just get a better axe. I use a fiskars x21, takes me around 4 minutes to take a section out of a 12 inch diameter tree. Obviously as diameter doubles volume quadruples it would take a lot longer for a 24 inch tree, but still shouldn't take 3 hours, I felled a 20 inch ish tree in about 30 minutes with just the x21 and a 24 inch bow saw (much better for cutting an accurate wedge out of the front, then just axe the back out for speed/ease of escape when it starts moving)

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
Other than that get a silky katanaboy, they're expensive but in effect a manual chainsaw. Or even a bigboy, rough rule of thumb is you need double the size of tree as blade length but there's many ways round that to get through something bigger than ideal.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
Just get a better axe. I use a fiskars x21, takes me around 4 minutes to take a section out of a 12 inch diameter tree. Obviously as diameter doubles volume quadruples it would take a lot longer for a 24 inch tree, but still shouldn't take 3 hours, I felled a 20 inch ish tree in about 30 minutes with just the x21 and a 24 inch bow saw (much better for cutting an accurate wedge out of the front, then just axe the back out for speed/ease of escape when it starts moving)
Ok good to know, for all answers, I just don't feel responding to each one, I'll probably get some kind of axe, maybe not that exact one, but the little hatchet I have doesn't do much since it's so small, but it still cuts through pretty well given enough time, just a bigger one would be faster. Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can talk my friend into splitting the cost (no pun intended) and getting a good chopping/splitting axe.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
You want a chopping axe, not a splitting axe. And the reason I suggest the fiskars is because the x21 is small enough to ride with, I regularly have it in my camelbak hawg with about 4 inch of handle sticking out, but has a good quality steel with good geometry, it just blows chunks out of the log, all at a reasonable price, you won't get better performance without going for something like a bruks.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
You want a chopping axe, not a splitting axe. And the reason I suggest the fiskars is because the x21 is small enough to ride with, I regularly have it in my camelbak hawg with about 4 inch of handle sticking out, but has a good quality steel with good geometry, it just blows chunks out of the log, all at a reasonable price, you won't get better performance without going for something like a bruks.
Ok, good to know, and do you know of a good way to sharpen a hatchet/axe without a proper sharpening tool? Not looking for razor sharp, just a little better.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
My fiskars came with a little sharpener, it's a little ceramic grind wheel that turns when you run the axe (or a knife, it has two slots) through it and gets it sharp enough to shave with and only takes a few seconds. Other than that a good second cut flat file will be more than sufficient to get it sharp enough to whittle pegs with if you ever want to set a tarp up

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006905
Mobile Version of Website