Builders discussion and rant zone

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Builders discussion and rant zone
| Next Page
Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 11:39 Quote
Remove as much loam and organic material as possible before you start cribbing: make sure to sink the supports deep and securely, if possible at a 10° angle towards the slope. Rule of thumb: 2 parts of the satke underground 1 part above, if the soil is soft 3 to 1. the stake shold not wiggle one bit. if you have trouble sinking the stakes tak a heave rockbar and "pre drill" by just ramming it down and wiggeling it around. This does wonders with sinking the deep and straight. Then backfill exclusively with mineral material like rocks, sand and clay.

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
turco999 wrote:
Husky and/or Stihl chainsaw reccomendations for trail building? Mostly for clearing deadfall, and the occasional dead tree that needs to come down (nothing bigger than 20") Maybe will be used 3 to 6 days a year for trail work. Will be hauled in and out of the spot, so something not too heavy.
I have a Stihl MS170 and a MS362. The 170 is ok if you need to hike in with it in the pack and clear small stuff. But it wouldn't be my choice for one saw. On the other hand, I use my 362 most of the time I'm building. Mainly for bigger stuff, if I need to fall something or with my alaskan mill. So maybe overkill. It sounds like a MS261 would be perfect for what you want. A little pricey but it's a pro saw and there is a huge difference between that and something you'd get at home depot or canadian tire. More power with less weight and better quality. You're probably looking at 800 bucks with a 20" bar.

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/Chain-Saws-and-Pole-Pruners/Gas-Chain-Saws-for-Forestry/22293-130/MS-261-C-M.aspx

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
so i have a stihl MS 180 which is a great saw but somtimes lacking in power. will do 50% of the trailbuilding jobs well and do about 80% of all tasks i have encountered.

Then i have a MS 462 which is a great beast but not if you have to hike in. iths thirsty but gets alot of work done.

so a do all saw whitout milling? MS 201 or a MS 241. if on a budget a 180. dont get the 170. i realy dislike the chain tensioning skrew. the reliability of even the cheaper stihl saws are very reliable.

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 17:33 Quote
Luneec wrote:
so i have a stihl MS 180 which is a great saw but somtimes lacking in power. will do 50% of the trailbuilding jobs well and do about 80% of all tasks i have encountered.

Then i have a MS 462 which is a great beast but not if you have to hike in. iths thirsty but gets alot of work done.

so a do all saw whitout milling? MS 201 or a MS 241. if on a budget a 180. dont get the 170. i realy dislike the chain tensioning skrew. the reliability of even the cheaper stihl saws are very reliable.
The 201 is only 35cc but the same price as the 50cc 261. Stihl discontinued the 241.

A MS180 would not do well ripping these:

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
yeah if u rip alot the MS180 would suffer, but befor i had the 462 it actualy did rip boards of oak at 30 cm depth of cut. it wasnt fast but it did. but ripping boards makes up 10-20% of the trail use i currently do. also the 180 is dirt cheap and for the amateur builder using it 5 days a year its plenty good. but dont use more than a 35 cm bar Wink

i love the 201 for the reason that it is very ligth and if you run a narrow 3/8 picco chain it cuts very fast and fuelefficient.

as for the MS 241 over here in GErmany u can still buy it so one would have to look at the local dealers list. in the end anything between the 201 and the 261 will do the job and be light enogh to carry.

btw. recently had the chance to use a 881 for ripping. what a beast but dont even think about hiking it and the fuel it burns into a remote area

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 22:24 Quote
Hey y'all, I'm fairly new to trail building and am thinking about starting a new trail rather than the small side hits that I have been making recently. I was wondering what you guys look for when scouting a spot for a trail.

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 22:58 Quote
Walk the area for good natural feaures that can be used right away or easily modified into features and figure if they will link and flow together.
Also if permission is needed to build do that too.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 10:02 Quote
Thanks for the tips. I've found a spot and will keep y'all updated on the trail.

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 12:23 Quote
Does anyone have any tips on how to approach land owners to build public downhill trails? Anyone been successful in doing this before?

Posted: Jun 10, 2022 at 9:46 Quote
Just wanted to take a moment to rant Really Mad about those cretins who move the stuff I placed to route riders onto the new section, presumably because they liked it the way it was. Madder

This, happening on a trail system where a recent land sale reduced total trail from ~25 miles to 6.5. We have built another 6.5 miles in the past six months or so, doubling what was left.

It is frustrating to deal with folks who won't let go, and who must then prevent getting more tires on the new stuff by continuing to ride the routes they have ridden for the past few decades. Facepalm

I'm sorry! Caca occurs. This is a new trail system. Deal with it!

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. Confused

Posted: Jun 10, 2022 at 9:49 Quote
ridenfool wrote:
Just wanted to take a moment to rant Really Mad about those cretins who move the stuff I placed to route riders onto the new section, presumably because they liked it the way it was. Madder

This, happening on a trail system where a recent land sale reduced total trail from ~25 miles to 6.5. We have built another 6.5 miles in the past six months or so, doubling what was left.

It is frustrating to deal with folks who won't let go, and who must then prevent getting more tires on the new stuff by continuing to ride the routes they have ridden for the past few decades. Facepalm

I'm sorry! Caca occurs. This is a new trail system. Deal with it!

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. Confused

We understand the pain brother!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008342
Mobile Version of Website