SPD tips (XCers ONLY)

Posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 18:44 Quote
Every mtb shoe fits the cleats from every mtb pedal. It's been the same universal standard forever.

Posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 18:44 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Specialized makes some AWESOME shoes. I've got a pair.

I agree. I have an older set (not sure which ones...it doesnt say anything on them except specialized and the logo and everything else is worn off....) anyhoo they're still good after taking some serious abuse, comfy too.

Posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 18:46 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Every mtb shoe fits the cleats from every mtb pedal. It's been the same universal standard forever.

Ok I got confused by this.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/shoesole.gif

Posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 18:48 Quote
That's a road bike shoe.

Posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 18:51 Quote
Oh... So off road shoe fits off road pedal. Great. Hmm, *orders pedals*

Posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 18:56 Quote
hmmm....well, from what i've seen here, most of you prolly wont agree w/me but.....i've beem rocking the same pair of platform spd's for about 8 years. i've replaced my shoes, but never my pedals. i've never had them not unclip or fail to clip in. I keep the tenson all the way up, and they release for can-cans and no footers everytime. need to ballance a skinny and through a leg out, they've never failed me there either. the pedal makes much much less difference than how much time you've been riding them. if you get clipless, just practice bailing from every conceivable angle before you get on the trail and realize your stuck to your bike. i spent a good part of a day just practicing bails from loping out on wheelies and another few hours bailing from endoes. i'm a freerider by nature(although it was for xc that i started riding spds)so i need to clip and unclip a lot. i like platforms for times when you dont want to be stuck(ie: a really long skinny you need to toss your legs out on for balance) plus then you dont have to wear you bike shoes everytime you ride. i think the main reason i freeride with them though is traction. your feet cant bounce off a set of clipless, which is nice for roots and stairs, plus the added power is awesome in case your in the wrong gear and need to get up a ladder without stalling out. not sure if that helped or not, just remember it's practice on the pedal that counts, not the name brand.

Posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 19:00 Quote
ace169 wrote:
hmmm....well, from what i've seen here, most of you prolly wont agree w/me but.....i've beem rocking the same pair of platform spd's for about 8 years. i've replaced my shoes, but never my pedals. i've never had them not unclip or fail to clip in. I keep the tenson all the way up, and they release for can-cans and no footers everytime. need to ballance a skinny and through a leg out, they've never failed me there either. the pedal makes much much less difference than how much time you've been riding them. if you get clipless, just practice bailing from every conceivable angle before you get on the trail and realize your stuck to your bike. i spent a good part of a day just practicing bails from loping out on wheelies and another few hours bailing from endoes. i'm a freerider by nature(although it was for xc that i started riding spds)so i need to clip and unclip a lot. i like platforms for times when you dont want to be stuck(ie: a really long skinny you need to toss your legs out on for balance) plus then you dont have to wear you bike shoes everytime you ride. i think the main reason i freeride with them though is traction. your feet cant bounce off a set of clipless, which is nice for roots and stairs, plus the added power is awesome in case your in the wrong gear and need to get up a ladder without stalling out. not sure if that helped or not, just remember it's practice on the pedal that counts, not the name brand.

Fine, preference is the key but I doubt I will be unclipping to do "no footers" or "cans" on an XC ride. Point is you need a platform for that reliability, to know that you can ride the pedal if you can't clip in. I don't.

EDIT: I'm also removing a pair of platforms anyway so I'll just swap them out if I don't want to ride with my riding shoes, which I will do anyway for work/college.

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 19:09 Quote
ace169 wrote:

I agree that any pedal is fine with practice but he specified that he has bad knees. CB and Time and the only pedals I've tried that won't cause agony during a long XC ride.

And Mike, it sounds like you have everything figured out. Hope you enjoy the new set up. I'm sure you'll find the CBs very easy to learn on. You can engage on all four sides and they're much easier to disengage than SPDs when you get into trouble. They don't have adjustable cleat tension but believe me, it's not a problem.

Posted: Dec 15, 2007 at 19:15 Quote
devonvig wrote:
ace169 wrote:

I agree that any pedal is fine with practice but he specified that he has bad knees. CB and Time and the only pedals I've tried that won't cause agony during a long XC ride.

And Mike, it sounds like you have everything figured out. Hope you enjoy the new set up. I'm sure you'll find the CBs very easy to learn on. You can engage on all four sides and they're much easier to disengage than SPDs when you get into trouble. They don't have adjustable cleat tension but believe me, it's not a problem.

Yes, thanks once again to everyone that helped!

I honestly thought that I'd be bumping this for days trying to get a reasonable answer among DJers and DHers telling me that "flatties are better, just look at Sam Hill".

I already thought about the cleat tension but that didn't bother me, better to learn with things as they will stay rather than continually moving the hurdles.

I'll add you guys and we'll see about that EB cult Beer

Mike

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 8:34 Quote
I'll pipe in here - I, for one, do NOT belong to the Cult of Eggbeaters - I simply don't like the complete lack of any adjustment on them. If the pre-selected spring tension and float work for you, great. Otherwise, too bad so sad.

You had asked about issues with mud - the Eggbeaters do excel in this regard - However - in my experience, when you get completely mudded up, problems clipping-in more often than not have more to do with your shoes (and mud clogging up the "receiving area" of the sole around the cleat) than your pedals, regardless of brand (I would go so far as to say, that with clipless pedals in general, the shoe matters as much (or more!) than the pedal).

I've been using good ol' Shimano SPDs in one form or other for many years. I have tried pedals by other manufacturers (Time, Crank Bros., Speedplay), but have always gone back to Shimano pedals.

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 10:11 Quote
I have recently swapped over to Crank Acids from Shimano and do not have any issues with them.
They are WAY better in the mud/snow/ice than my spds ever were but i do find that that they are a little more difficult to get out of than my spd's were. Even in the tightest tension adjustment.
In all honesty though, I didn't really have a major complaint with the Shimanos. The pedals were very reliable (unlike all my other shimano components, but that is an entirely different post)

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 5:14 Quote
My tip is: TIME pedals and sidi shoes. Times always work and NEVER ever get stuck sand, dirt or even ice. We win with em

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 10:59 Quote
combee wrote:
My tip is: TIME pedals and sidi shoes. Times always work and NEVER ever get stuck sand, dirt or even ice. We win with em

I love my Time pedals too. I have the cheapest pair which are quite heavy, but very solid and they will last forever.

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 15:14 Quote
Look for best deal that fits at local bike shop. Worked for me =) Picked up 60 dollar Nikes worth 200 bucks.

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 1:22 Quote
As an xc rider I can honestly say you should try as many pairs of shoes as you can before you buy. I got tendinitis in my left foot from a cheap pair of shoes, and that pretty much killed my season. And besides, you're going to be wearing them for hours at a time, the slightest fit issue can lead to numbness and other comfort issues that you shouldn't have to put up with.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021111
Mobile Version of Website