SPD tips (XCers ONLY)

Posted: Apr 4, 2010 at 8:46 Quote
Hate to gravedig but I'm currently facing the same issue as the original poster. My Adidas Minrette shoes are worn out so I need a new pair. My LBS deals Shimano, Specialized and Louis Garneau shoes.
The shoes I'm looking at now are:
-Specialized BG Comp (one ratchet and 2 Velcro) or Sport (3 Velcro)
-Louis Terra Grip (all Velcro)
-Louis Montana XT (top ratching clamp)
-

They have TIME Atac pedals in stock as well as any Crank Bros I want. In addition to those they have a set of LOOK Quartz mtb pedals that look really promising, but are probably really expensive.

Your advice is really appreciated

Posted: Apr 5, 2010 at 11:18 Quote
I have the Specialized BG sports.

I really like them. Comfy on my feet, don't bother my knees (tho my old and very beat 661's didn't either), Not gody looking, if you slip a foot into the water they don't absorb much at all (squish out around the ankle and your pretty much good to go again), I can ride sock less on really hot days without any irritating rubs.

Only used Crank Bros out of the pedals listed. Love them. Great company to deal with. I broke a spindle on my first gen mallets 2 years after I got them. Emailed them asking how much a set of spindles would be, they asked my for my address and mailed me a pair for FREE the next day (with a couple awesome vinyl decals).

Pedals are set and forget. They just work, don't pack with mud or snow or anything annoying. Only down side is if you clip your pedals hard all the time you can bend the cadge. And they only bend back twice (on average) before they crack.

Trying Shimano m540 pedals now them seem good after a couple months. But they do pack up with junk

Posted: Apr 5, 2010 at 12:07 Quote
Bontrager also has a carbon sole'd shoe that is fairly decently priced as well.

Posted: Apr 5, 2010 at 14:42 Quote
Hey guys thanks for the tips, really helpful. I think I'll look at the Specialized BG's cause everyone seems impressed with them. Those Bontragers are nicely priced. Onoly 140$! There's just no dealer near by me unfortunately and I refuse to buy shoes without trying because fit varies by person.

Do you think the shop will let me try out shoes and pedals on one of their bikes? I don't want to get a pair of pedals without trying them out first. I'm leaning towards Crank Bros. at the moment but these LOOK ones really got my attention.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://bikerumor.com/contests/images/LOOK-QUARTZ_CARBON-pedal_2.jpg
What do you think?

Posted: Apr 5, 2010 at 14:45 Quote
From a Bike Radar review on the Quartz
[Quoten]With its excellent new Quartz platform, Look has cleverly taken the well regarded Time ATAC twin-bar concept, blended the best of the minimalist US Crank Brothers Eggbeater ‘there, but not there’ anti-mud design, and given it all a twist of Gallic design flair.[/Quoten]
That's exactly what I was thinking but don't know what Gallic flair is Confused

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008791
Mobile Version of Website