Time for me to get a new AM frame, 2nd hand, advice needed

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Time for me to get a new AM frame, 2nd hand, advice needed
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2012 at 10:41 Quote
I have a budget of 650£, would consider spending a little more if i bought new or unused

Opinions wanted on the following bikes:
Its time for me to get a new AM Frame, ideas and reviews wanted, the shortlist so far:
Rules:
bike must be designed to ride with 160 mm forks
between 66-68 head angle
BB height under 14.25"

Current bike : Giant Reign X 2009
Strengths: Awesome descender good sus design, built like a brick out house.
Weakness: too heavy for an AM bike

Option 1: Titus El Guapo 2011-700£ new
Strengths seems to get good reviews on here, lighter than reign X
Weakness: unknown life time, High BB, short wheel base, designed more for 150mm forks

Option 2; Lapierre Spicy 2010 650£ 2nd hand
Strength: proven to work on Mega avalanche, lots of thought has gone in from pro riders, designed to be run with 36's
Weakness: not sure if this is true seat post does not go all the way down

Any other contenders?
Opinions on bikes mentioned please

Posted: Jan 6, 2012 at 11:32 Quote
You may already have done this, but what is your target weight, and what would it take to get your Reign X there? (since it's a very good bike, just a bit heavy as you said)
Is yours an X1 or X2?
Just using lighter wheels/tires could make a big difference on the climbs.
The X1 comes with Van36R fork, which is not heavy, but the X2 fork is a pig, right?

Posted: Jan 11, 2012 at 22:55 Quote
Option 1: Titus El Guapo 2011-700£ new
买新的吧

Posted: Jan 13, 2012 at 4:28 Quote
Have a browse of various shop sites to see you if you can find a past season new frame within budget.

If following the 2nd hand route bear in mind that the shock will almost certainly need/benefit from a service and thoroughly check pivot bearings and shock mount bushings as you may find your self shelling out a couple of hundred in parts/servicing.

From your suggestions I would def go with the lapierre due to the lower longer geometry, don't know about the seat post dropping but...... Best bit of kit I've bought in a long time is a dropper post, really transforms the ride.

Posted: Jan 13, 2012 at 8:31 Quote
try to up you budget if you can , a rear shock service is around £100+ , a new nukeproof mega frame starts £899 for a yellow frame and 950 for black or silver plus there are deals on 2011 frames
http://www.nukeproof.com/frames/mega-frame
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75355

Posted: Jan 15, 2012 at 1:34 Quote
brianl wrote:
You may already have done this, but what is your target weight, and what would it take to get your Reign X there? (since it's a very good bike, just a bit heavy as you said)
Is yours an X1 or X2?
Just using lighter wheels/tires could make a big difference on the climbs.
The X1 comes with Van36R fork, which is not heavy, but the X2 fork is a pig, right?

i have put lighter wheels on, chain-set, fox air shock/forks etc, but there is no getting away from the fact that the frame is over 1 pound heavier than the others i am looking at.
It was an X2 but the only original component left is the frame, i swapped everything else out.
I have gone for the Lapierre Spicy, decided for this over the Titus due to lower BB, slacker head angle and the bike is a little longer, also found out the the tITus is designed around a 530 mm axle to crown (rock shox 150mm) although it is warrantied with 160mm

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010072
Mobile Version of Website