Chain guide for a 3 x 10 cranckset?

PB Forum :: Tutorials
Chain guide for a 3 x 10 cranckset?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2012 at 13:36 Quote
Hi there, I just bought a Yeti Sb-66 Enduro and having lot of problems with the chain falling down Dead Horse the cranckset, don't know if chain guides work with 3x10 crancksets? and if they do what I have to buy to make they work?

Regards. Smile

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2012 at 0:19 Quote
I'm not aware of any chain guide for a triple ring so, as I see it, you have two options:

1) Get a new xtr rear derailleur - it has a little switch to pull the chain tighter, making the loss of your chain less likely. Not tried it myself but magazines seem to like it...
2) Remove the outer ring of your triple and replace the middle ring with one a bit bigger to compensate. You can put a bash where outer ring was and buy a chain guide that is designed for a double. I did this and have been very happy with it. My middle ring is 36 tooth (rather than 32) and I'm running an e13 chainguide. Can't remember the name - possibly the Heim? I've kept my standard xt front Shifters and derailleur but screwed the limit screw down so it will not shift up above the middle ring... Or buy a specific double chainset...

The only other thing to check is that your chain is the correct length (and therefore not too loose)? If it is something like this you may resolve the problem without further costs...

Best of luck!

James

Posted: Jan 10, 2013 at 2:31 Quote
i had a bionicon c guide on my old bike with a 3x9 setup, it's not perfect bud he does his job.

Posted: Jan 10, 2013 at 10:07 Quote
Perfect I think I will try this, I'm barley using my big ring and can save a little grams there Smile Thanks.

slimboyjim wrote:
I'm not aware of any chain guide for a triple ring so, as I see it, you have two options:

1) Get a new xtr rear derailleur - it has a little switch to pull the chain tighter, making the loss of your chain less likely. Not tried it myself but magazines seem to like it...
2) Remove the outer ring of your triple and replace the middle ring with one a bit bigger to compensate. You can put a bash where outer ring was and buy a chain guide that is designed for a double. I did this and have been very happy with it. My middle ring is 36 tooth (rather than 32) and I'm running an e13 chainguide. Can't remember the name - possibly the Heim? I've kept my standard xt front Shifters and derailleur but screwed the limit screw down so it will not shift up above the middle ring... Or buy a specific double chainset...

The only other thing to check is that your chain is the correct length (and therefore not too loose)? If it is something like this you may resolve the problem without further costs...

Best of luck!

James

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008316
Mobile Version of Website