Scott Gambler OWNERS

PB Forum :: Downhill
Scott Gambler OWNERS
Posted: May 28, 2020 at 12:43 Quote
Hey guys, I'm new in this forum and hope you can help me solve this little issue Smile .
I bought a brand new scott gambler 710 2019 8 months ago, but due to the corona thing it has no more than 6 months of usage. It has started (not really sure when) to develop a little bit of play in the main pivot (i mean the one just above the bb). At first it was just notable but now it is pretty evident. So I brought the bike back to the shop where I bought it and asked if everything was ok. They checked the bike, especially the bearings (they disassembled the rear end), and said that everything was ok and that is completely normal that a well stressed bike like downhill ones develop a little bit of play like that. So the lasts weeks I kept using it like that but I got the feeling that the more I use it the worst the situation gets. So now I'm wondering if it is really normal (definetly don't think so). Did you guys ever experienced that? What can I do to solve this out?

Posted: May 28, 2020 at 21:12 Quote
AlessandroPacelli wrote:
Hey guys, I'm new in this forum and hope you can help me solve this little issue Smile .
I bought a brand new scott gambler 710 2019 8 months ago, but due to the corona thing it has no more than 6 months of usage. It has started (not really sure when) to develop a little bit of play in the main pivot (i mean the one just above the bb). At first it was just notable but now it is pretty evident. So I brought the bike back to the shop where I bought it and asked if everything was ok. They checked the bike, especially the bearings (they disassembled the rear end), and said that everything was ok and that is completely normal that a well stressed bike like downhill ones develop a little bit of play like that. So the lasts weeks I kept using it like that but I got the feeling that the more I use it the worst the situation gets. So now I'm wondering if it is really normal (definetly don't think so). Did you guys ever experienced that? What can I do to solve this out?

There shouldn't be any play in that pivot. It can be a tricky one to torque correctly but once it is you shouldn't be able to feel any play. I also don't agree with the comment about it being completely normal to have some play. It's worth investing in an adjustable spanner that fits the lockring so you can tighten it with an allen key.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 0:35 Quote
CaptainJulian wrote:
AlessandroPacelli wrote:

There shouldn't be any play in that pivot. It can be a tricky one to torque correctly but once it is you shouldn't be able to feel any play. I also don't agree with the comment about it being completely normal to have some play. It's worth investing in an adjustable spanner that fits the lockring so you can tighten it with an allen key.

Hi man, thank you for responding! I'm not really an expert in those things but 2 different mechanics (the shop where I bring the bike usually is not the one where I bought the bike) checked more and more times if it was torqued correctly so I think it is, but the play remains. (actually now is torqued 2 or 3 N/m more than reccommended).

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 13:08 Quote
AlessandroPacelli wrote:
CaptainJulian wrote:
AlessandroPacelli wrote:

Hi man, thank you for responding! I'm not really an expert in those things but 2 different mechanics (the shop where I bring the bike usually is not the one where I bought the bike) checked more and more times if it was torqued correctly so I think it is, but the play remains. (actually now is torqued 2 or 3 N/m more than reccommended).

Can you feel the play by moving the frame and swing arm laterally or is it another way?

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 2:01 Quote
CaptainJulian wrote:
AlessandroPacelli wrote:
CaptainJulian wrote:

Can you feel the play by moving the frame and swing arm laterally or is it another way?
I can feel the play when I hold my bike from the bar (or the front triangle) with a hand and try to twist the rear end with another (both holding it form the rear wheel or the rear triangle). I've written an email to scott, do you guys know how long they take to respond? I've sent the message 3/4 days ago.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 7:03 Quote
hey guys! does anyone have a new Gambler 2020 alloy? want to change my Tues on it and I can't decide. Any troubles with new Gamblers?

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 21:57 Quote
YakuT wrote:
hey guys! does anyone have a new Gambler 2020 alloy? want to change my Tues on it and I can't decide. Any troubles with new Gamblers?

There are many here riding the new gambler. No reports seen yet of problems. For your record a Scott bike build quality is better then that of YT.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 1:46 Quote
I don't have a precision measuring device at hand, does the 2018 Gambler have 22 or 22.2 bushings at the bottom of the shock?

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 14:07 Quote
Tripmo wrote:
YakuT wrote:

There are many here riding the new gambler. No reports seen yet of problems. For your record a Scott bike build quality is better then that of YT.

Thanks mate! I think I'll buy then!) I love my Tues and this is really good bike but want to change it just for trying something new

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 5:26 Quote
demo7jumper wrote:
littlelukeey wrote:
demo7jumper wrote:

I have the exactly same model, and it only happened me on the longest setting, when the shock was too soft, are you running the longest or the shortest chainstay setting?

I think i've tried it all 4 ways - long and high, long and low, short and high and short and low. ill double check tonight and change it around but at the minute i think its on long and high
Which shock are you running ?

Hey man, late reply ! I forgot my log in for ages when is switched phone.
I've got the dh2 air, I'd add a picture but idk how too ????????

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 13:02 Quote
AlessandroPacelli wrote:

Just something to check.... I had this same problem when I first built up (and changed all bearings) my Gambler. I initially thought it was the main pivot and had the exact symptoms you described. It ended up being the my flip chip was loose from messing with my shock. Just something to think about. Hopefully you get the problem solved!

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 at 9:01 Quote
Anyone have a Medium Gambler 710 Frame 2018 or 2019 they want to sell me? Frame Only with shock or no-shock.

My 2 cents and overall impression on my 2016 Gambler 710:

I have had 2016 Gambler 710 in Small for over 2 years now. I bought it brand new at the beginning of 2018.
I finally have it set up the way I want. I am 5'7", so this bike might be too small for me, but it is quite doable and I have learned how to ride it. I would like to try a bigger frame as well as the newer linkage though, hence the reason I am reaching out.

On my Gambler, I found out the very hard bottom outs were due to the seat hitting the tire at the very end of it's stroke, it was rare when it happen, but still happened at least 3 times a day when I took the really big hits. I raised the seat just a tad little, and angled it to be more horizontal to stop it from hitting the tire at full compression (tested this with no air in the shock). Seat was never at my preferred height to begin with, and now it is even slightly highter. It sucks I can't run the seat at my preferred height, but oh well.

As you all mentioned, the 2016 Gambler does blow through it's travel way too easily. On my 2016 Fox X2, I am running 180 pounds and 10 tokens, which gives me about 27% sag. HSR and LSR are both 2 clicks out from full open, HSC is about half way from full open, and LSC is about 1/4th from full open. I have found with these damping settings, the very hard bottom outs are much more tolerable, and with the rebound almost full open, I feel the suspension working nicely.

If I was Racing, I would NOT use this bike as it is just too small. I would also most definitely run a bigger bike if I was racing, something with around 430-440 reach and around a 1250mm Wheelbase. I am liking these new bigger cockpits, I cannot find anything bad about them, it allows me to move around easier. Also, I would definitely go longer Wheelbase for more stability. Bigger bikes are harder to steer and move around, but if you under stand the concept of "counter steering", then the slow steering is not really a problem.

However, as a fun bike, this bike is that! I never ride at 100% these days anyways, because I have had many broken bones and just can't afford anymore spills. At 50 years old, the bones no longer bend and bounce, they break! Even though this bike is "lacking" in some areas, I still feel it is still too fast for me, and I am no where to taking this bike to 100% of it's ability at this moment.

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 8:16 Quote
HendersonMike wrote:
Anyone have a Medium Gambler 710 Frame 2018 or 2019 they want to sell me? Frame Only with shock or no-shock.

My 2 cents and overall impression on my 2016 Gambler 710:

I have had 2016 Gambler 710 in Small for over 2 years now. I bought it brand new at the beginning of 2018.
I finally have it set up the way I want. I am 5'7", so this bike might be too small for me, but it is quite doable and I have learned how to ride it. I would like to try a bigger frame as well as the newer linkage though, hence the reason I am reaching out.

On my Gambler, I found out the very hard bottom outs were due to the seat hitting the tire at the very end of it's stroke, it was rare when it happen, but still happened at least 3 times a day when I took the really big hits. I raised the seat just a tad little, and angled it to be more horizontal to stop it from hitting the tire at full compression (tested this with no air in the shock). Seat was never at my preferred height to begin with, and now it is even slightly highter. It sucks I can't run the seat at my preferred height, but oh well.

As you all mentioned, the 2016 Gambler does blow through it's travel way too easily. On my 2016 Fox X2, I am running 180 pounds and 10 tokens, which gives me about 27% sag. HSR and LSR are both 2 clicks out from full open, HSC is about half way from full open, and LSC is about 1/4th from full open. I have found with these damping settings, the very hard bottom outs are much more tolerable, and with the rebound almost full open, I feel the suspension working nicely.

If I was Racing, I would NOT use this bike as it is just too small. I would also most definitely run a bigger bike if I was racing, something with around 430-440 reach and around a 1250mm Wheelbase. I am liking these new bigger cockpits, I cannot find anything bad about them, it allows me to move around easier. Also, I would definitely go longer Wheelbase for more stability. Bigger bikes are harder to steer and move around, but if you under stand the concept of "counter steering", then the slow steering is not really a problem.

However, as a fun bike, this bike is that! I never ride at 100% these days anyways, because I have had many broken bones and just can't afford anymore spills. At 50 years old, the bones no longer bend and bounce, they break! Even though this bike is "lacking" in some areas, I still feel it is still too fast for me, and I am no where to taking this bike to 100% of it's ability at this moment.

That bike is definitely too small for you. I am 5'5" and ride a medium 2016. I could honestly go longer to a 430 to 440 reach. Have you had any issues with running that many tokens? The shop gave me shit for running 9 because of the recall on the x2. They took them out and installed the red collar which limits the spacers to 4. Feels like mush now.

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 21:11 Quote
I know about the X2 recall for 2016-2017 model years, and that I should turn it in for recall warranty work, and I know I am not supposed to run it with that many tokens, but she works great for me with 10 tokens. When she had 4, she really sucked and bottomed outs were not only often, but also very harsh. I am 165 lbs all geared up and only running 180 psi on the shock, so I figure I am safe.

I would love a new bike with the proper reach numbers for my size, but don't want to spend too much, as I do not ride lift service enough to plunk down mucho dollars for a new bike. At the moment, I am just looking for a new frame.

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 22:24 Quote
HendersonMike wrote:
I know about the X2 recall for 2016-2017 model years, and that I should turn it in for recall warranty work, and I know I am not supposed to run it with that many tokens, but she works great for me with 10 tokens. When she had 4, she really sucked and bottomed outs were not only often, but also very harsh. it am 165 lbs all geared up and only running 180 psi, so I figured I am safe.

I would love a new bike with the proper reach numbers for my size, but don't want to spend too much, as I do not ride lift service enough to plunk down mucho dollars for a new bike. At the moment, I am just looking for a new frame.

I was in the same boat as you. I am 5'8. I was riding for 1 year on a small frame as well. I managed to find a person selling a Gambler from the same year but an M-Size made a good deal with him and got the frame.
The difference between sizing is very noticeable.

Look for people selling a 2016-2017 full bike, ask if they are willing to sell only the frame to you.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007195
Mobile Version of Website