Scott Gambler OWNERS

PB Forum :: Downhill
Scott Gambler OWNERS
O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 4:21 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
sernevi wrote:
Anyone running an air shock on the 2020 gambler? I picked up a "cheap" used x2 to replace the x-fusion. Haven't tried it yet, still building the bike up after spending the spring doing some custom stuff (raw, custom decals etc)..

Which year is the x2?

It's a 2018, pulled off a session frame.

Thinking of how to set it up, which shock position to use (linear vs progressive etc). Thinking progressive may not suit an air shock?

I've only ridden the bike for one day last year, bought it used at the end of last season and had knee surgery this winter..

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 6:56 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
wllmd wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

I would personally go 920 and upgrade whatever you need to. You may not even need the better brakes and wheels. I'm also not a fan of carbon so 920 it is.

I have the 920 and it for sure has the worst brakes I’ve ever used. Another 3 months for my trickstuff.

Haha well that makes me glad I didn't go with the fox performance build on my new supreme. Spent the extra 1k for rockshox ultimate and codes. I thought those deore brakes would be somewhat decent. Maybe a lever upgrade would be enough for most people?

Hmm. I have the RSC brakes and g2 ultimates too. G2 Ulti are junk. Needed a 220 to get some good bite. RSC feels better but nothing like TRP DHR EVO! They’re are the best I’ve touched by far - hope the trickstuff are better.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
sernevi wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
sernevi wrote:
Anyone running an air shock on the 2020 gambler? I picked up a "cheap" used x2 to replace the x-fusion. Haven't tried it yet, still building the bike up after spending the spring doing some custom stuff (raw, custom decals etc)..

Which year is the x2?

Thinking of how to set it up, which shock position to use (linear vs progressive etc). Thinking progressive may not suit an air shock?

I've only ridden the bike for one day last year, bought it used at the end of last season and had knee surgery this winter..

The x2 is very linear, almost like a coil. Huge negative air spring. You'll probably want to start with at least half volume spacers installed. Try the linear setting but I think you'll prefer the progressive setting better.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 11:57 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
sernevi wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Which year is the x2?

The x2 is very linear, almost like a coil. Huge negative air spring. You'll probably want to start with at least half volume spacers installed. Try the linear setting but I think you'll prefer the progressive setting better.

Cool, thanks man. I figure I'll start off with 2 reducers in the air can and do some testing. Is there a difference in feeling in the progressivity between using the progressive frame setting vs shock bands? I figure the progressive shock mount would be better to overcome the initial harshness of the air shock but how is the mid stroke? Will do some testing laps on Wednesday if all goes well.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 19:11 Quote
YakuT wrote:
kylar wrote:
Anyone know the weight difference between the 910 carbon/alloy frame and the 900 full carbon frame? Thinking about a 910 so I can sell off part of the build and go my own way. But I’m pretty excited by a ~35# DH bike and don’t want to give up a lot of weight in the swingarm. Thanks!

Hey mate! I don't know about difference between carbon and alloy, but my alloy gambler 920 around 15kg with I9 Grade 300 wheelset, front tire 820g and rear 860g.
But! I have a few faults in the frame like:
1 - the stock axle of the rear shock absorber was slightly smaller in diameter and shorter by 0.5mm, due to which there was a backlash in the suspension
2 - bent stock steel shock absorber bolt! but the problem is solved by replacing the bolt with a titanium one (my weight arond 70kg)

Mby carbon frames don't have such faults.

Thanks! Didn’t know the alloy frames would build that light. Too bad about the shock bolt, I assumed everything would be in tolerance with these. I did eventually find the weights, and it’s about 400g heavier for the carbon/alloy frame. Anyone have any comparisons on how the alloy rear end rides versus the carbon one? I’m leaning towards the 910 but it’s partly because I can get it tomorrow.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 0:47 Quote
kylar wrote:
YakuT wrote:
kylar wrote:
Anyone know the weight difference between the 910 carbon/alloy frame and the 900 full carbon frame? Thinking about a 910 so I can sell off part of the build and go my own way. But I’m pretty excited by a ~35# DH bike and don’t want to give up a lot of weight in the swingarm. Thanks!

Hey mate! I don't know about difference between carbon and alloy, but my alloy gambler 920 around 15kg with I9 Grade 300 wheelset, front tire 820g and rear 860g.
1 - the stock axle of the rear shock absorber was slightly smaller in diameter and shorter by 0.5mm, due to which there was a backlash in the suspension
2 - bent stock steel shock absorber bolt! but the problem is solved by replacing the bolt with a titanium one (my weight arond 70kg)

Thanks! Didn’t know the alloy frames would build that light. Too bad about the shock bolt, I assumed everything would be in tolerance with these. I did eventually find the weights, and it’s about 400g heavier for the carbon/alloy frame. Anyone have any comparisons on how the alloy rear end rides versus the carbon one? I’m leaning towards the 910 but it’s partly because I can get it tomorrow.

I’m rocking the 2020 920 as a mullet now and it’s a dream bike. Which sucks because I just got the SC V10 mullet and I’m now in love with the gambler. The Back end feels so light in the air it’s weird at first but the bitch flys.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 3:53 Quote
sernevi wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
sernevi wrote:

Cool, thanks man. I figure I'll start off with 2 reducers in the air can and do some testing. Is there a difference in feeling in the progressivity between using the progressive frame setting vs shock bands? I figure the progressive shock mount would be better to overcome the initial harshness of the air shock but how is the mid stroke? Will do some testing laps on Wednesday if all goes well.

I don't have any experience with the new frame but I'm thinking the progressive setting will have more mid stroke which is what you want with an air shock. So many different configurations on the frame and adjustability with the x2, it will take a lot of patience to set up. I'd reccomend starting with the fox recommended setting for the damper and then switch between progressive and linear on the frame so you can feel how each setting makes a difference.

Posted: Jun 8, 2021 at 5:25 Quote
kylar wrote:
YakuT wrote:
kylar wrote:

No problem!
Mby I'm just unlucky with that frame but gambler is a perfect bike for sure! The weight of the frame scares me a bit because it is so thin in places, hahaha
But I'm sure you will liked it! Oh! and yeah - be ready for a changing bearings in suspension because they r will start to creaking (I know several people who have had the same problem on this frame). I changed all bearing after half a year and this is without riding in the mountains or in the mud.

Posted: Jun 8, 2021 at 5:27 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
sernevi wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

I don't have any experience with the new frame but I'm thinking the progressive setting will have more mid stroke which is what you want with an air shock. So many different configurations on the frame and adjustability with the x2, it will take a lot of patience to set up. I'd reccomend starting with the fox recommended setting for the damper and then switch between progressive and linear on the frame so you can feel how each setting makes a difference.

I agree! Best bike what I had at this moment!

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 12:20 Quote
The 2019 730 I ordered a couple weeks back arrived yesterday, I put it together and MAN this thing is nice! I got the bottom spec'd model but she's still gorgeous and quality of every last bit looks top notch.

I've never had a bike with the adjustable rear axle before, if I'm riding mostly at a bike park (Snowshoe in WV), am I best off starting in short or long position?

I basically suck but have lots of fun going fast down blues, only just now getting comfy getting some air, and I love rock gardens. I'll never be the guy sending huge jumps but some spirited fast riding and lots of gnarly/chunky sections, mostly on the ground, is more my style.

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 20:39 Quote
Falco86 wrote:
The 2019 730 I ordered a couple weeks back arrived yesterday, I put it together and MAN this thing is nice! I got the bottom spec'd model but she's still gorgeous and quality of every last bit looks top notch.

I've never had a bike with the adjustable rear axle before, if I'm riding mostly at a bike park (Snowshoe in WV), am I best off starting in short or long position?

I basically suck but have lots of fun going fast down blues, only just now getting comfy getting some air, and I love rock gardens. I'll never be the guy sending huge jumps but some spirited fast riding and lots of gnarly/chunky sections, mostly on the ground, is more my style.

Thanks!

Go long then. Unless you change your riding tastes.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 23:48 Quote
wllmd wrote:
Falco86 wrote:

Thanks!

Go long then. Unless you change your riding tastes.

+1 on long, also shock in low position.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 4:46 Quote
I have a 2021 gambler tuned. I have problem with the rear suspension or triangel it has a slight rattel/movement( not the cable) replaced the bushings on the suspension did nohthing and it is really anoying help!!!

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 7:35 Quote
Kenth35 wrote:
I have a 2021 gambler tuned. I have problem with the rear suspension or triangel it has a slight rattel/movement( not the cable) replaced the bushings on the suspension did nohthing and it is really anoying help!!!

Me too, no idea how to solve it. Really slight knock in the suspension somewhere, also changed the bushings to no effect, brand new bike.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
Kersh wrote:
Kenth35 wrote:

Me too, no idea how to solve it. Really slight knock in the suspension somewhere, also changed the bushings to no effect, brand new bike.

As in a click sound coming from around the seatstay? That’s what I get with mine anyway. Had a fair few issues with this bike. The flimsy and flexy rear adapter being one. Just had a new beefier one machined to replace it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016987
Mobile Version of Website