Scott Gambler OWNERS

PB Forum :: Downhill
Scott Gambler OWNERS
Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 0:06 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice. I'm currently looking at the 910 2022 model. Has anyone any comparison how it compares to for example YT Tues or current high pivot Trek session?
Anything I should be aware of with this bike?

thanks

edit: or links to any tests with the AL frames?

The Gambler will be more lively than the high pivot bikes. Less glued to the ground, more poppy and playful. So it depends on what you're looking for in a bike. Not having ridden them myself (buddy broke his collar bone when I was due to test ride the new Session so I had to take him to the hospital instead), my friends who have say the high pivot bikes are pretty dead and hard to pop in jump trails but monster truck over everything in chunky terrain.

Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 4:39 Quote
sernevi wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice. I'm currently looking at the 910 2022 model. Has anyone any comparison how it compares to for example YT Tues or current high pivot Trek session?

thanks

The Gambler will be more lively than the high pivot bikes. Less glued to the ground, more poppy and playful. So it depends on what you're looking for in a bike. Not having ridden them myself (buddy broke his collar bone when I was due to test ride the new Session so I had to take him to the hospital instead), my friends who have say the high pivot bikes are pretty dead and hard to pop in jump trails but monster truck over everything in chunky terrain.

I have a Tues, and I was looking to get a Session to try out the (medium) high pivot. I don't really like to go as extreme as Commencal. But I can't find one available but I did find a Gambler, but I cant find any good indepth reviews. Vital MTB didn't complete their review because the Xfusion shock blew out.

But they did basically say it feels like 'directly at home'. From the suspension layout, leverage rate etc and sizes, it really looks to be the "generic" DH bike. But in a good way I mean. It is similar in lay-out of Neko's third iteration bike.

Only issues I see with the 910 are the wheelset and the airshock. Not sure if that rebranded Alexrims set is any good. I think I prefer a coil for such a progressive frame. (In general I prefer coil for DH). And the sizing is a tad short, but eventual I could add a +6mm reach adjust headset.

Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
sernevi wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:
Hi Guys,

thanks

I have a Tues, and I was looking to get a Session to try out the (medium) high pivot. I don't really like to go as extreme as Commencal. But I can't find one available but I did find a Gambler, but I cant find any good indepth reviews. Vital MTB didn't complete their review because the Xfusion shock blew out.

But they did basically say it feels like 'directly at home'. From the suspension layout, leverage rate etc and sizes, it really looks to be the "generic" DH bike. But in a good way I mean. It is similar in lay-out of Neko's third iteration bike.

Only issues I see with the 910 are the wheelset and the airshock. Not sure if that rebranded Alexrims set is any good. I think I prefer a coil for such a progressive frame. (In general I prefer coil for DH). And the sizing is a tad short, but eventual I could add a +6mm reach adjust headset.

I run mine with air spring front and rear in the linear setting iirc, I think it works great. A lot more playful and lively than the Devinci Wilson I came off, it feels more like an oversized trail bike but that can soak up all the big hits I've managed to put it through.

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 4:34 Quote
Those Syncros MD30 wheels are those rebranded Alexrim all mountain rims? (the md 30 https://alexrims.com/products/md30/)

How are these holding up for DH?

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 21:49 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
Those Syncros MD30 wheels are those rebranded Alexrim all mountain rims? (the md 30 https://alexrims.com/products/md30/)

How are these holding up for DH?

Not sure about the alexrims connection, but they are absolute trash. I smashed my rear wheel to absolute shit with a cushcore pro insert in a blue trail at a speed I run my trail bike with DT wheels and cushcore XC at. I replaced it with a DT EX511 that has been going strong since, but I just stumbled upon an industry 9 wheelset that will be going in the bike this year.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 4:00 Quote
That sounds like it are indeed alexrims MD30'slol

But indeed always an option to lace in an EX511 or the FR560. I have good experience with the FR560, so for the rear I would probably take that one again. Although since running inserts I probably can go to EX511.
I used the same FR560 for years prior using them with inserts, and only have minor dings in the egde.

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 15:27 Quote
Hey guys, looking for some opinions on suspension setup here.

Been on my 2020 mulleted 900 tuned for about a year now and have played around with different rear spring setups but still haven't quite found an ideal balance of plush vs. supportive. I'm not a racer and I generally prefer freeride/jumps but I do ride a lot of chunk/steeps because that's mostly what my closest bike parks have.

Here are my numbers:

Rider weight: ~235 lbs
Rider height: 6'4"

Frame size: XL
Frame settings: mullet wheels, short chainstay, high BB
Rear shock: stock DHX2 in the progressive position

Springs I've tried (with HSC, LSC, HSR and LSR all adjusted to be fairly close to Fox's recommended settings for each spring rate):

-Currently on 550lb x 2.9": gives me about 28% sag and feels like an ok balance: decent absorption in chunk and decent support on jumps, but not amazing at either

-600lb x 2.9": gives me about 25% sag, feels really supportive on jumps and drops but is a tad too harsh in chunk

-525lb x 3.15" and 500lb x 3.15": around 30-33% sag, feels plush and planted but soaks up transition too much to jump well

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 10:21 Quote
Are you sure you don't just want less rebound damping to make it more lively? Or more hsc for support on the big hits?

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 5:20 Quote
Saturnalia wrote:
Hey guys, looking for some opinions on suspension setup here.

Been on my 2020 mulleted 900 tuned for about a year now and have played around with different rear spring setups but still haven't quite found an ideal balance of plush vs. supportive. I'm not a racer and I generally prefer freeride/jumps but I do ride a lot of chunk/steeps because that's mostly what my closest bike parks have.

Here are my numbers:

Rider weight: ~235 lbs
Rider height: 6'4"

Frame settings: mullet wheels, short chainstay, high BB
Rear shock: stock DHX2 in the progressive position

Springs I've tried (with HSC, LSC, HSR and LSR all adjusted to be fairly close to Fox's recommended settings for each spring rate):

-Currently on 550lb x 2.9": gives me about 28% sag and feels like an ok balance: decent absorption in chunk and decent support on jumps, but not amazing at either

-600lb x 2.9": gives me about 25% sag, feels really supportive on jumps and drops but is a tad too harsh in chunk

-525lb x 3.15" and 500lb x 3.15": around 30-33% sag, feels plush and planted but soaks up transition too much to jump well

What about the 525 and increase LSC for the transitions. Gamblers are supposed to run 30% minimum sag in the rear.

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 6:21 Quote
Hello @saturnalia,
I'm really close to your seetings, hope my feedback will help you :

Rider weight: ~207 lbs
Rider height: 6'2"

Frame settings: 29" wheels, short chainstay, high and Low BB depending on trails
Rear shock: stock DHX2
Progressive shock position --> rough DH
Linear shock position --> Jumps and bikepark
Actually the progressive position only increase the initial leverage ratio.
In other word the bike get more progressive because it soften the begining of the stroke, but it doesn't give more end stroke support.

I'm riding theses coils :
525 Fox stock coil - unknown sag - LSC and HSC in the middle (close to Fox suggesion) Linear position only. Too soft in progressive mode.
550 Bos Coil - unknow sag - LSC and HSC pretty much full open. Progressive and linear position only
Usually I start the seaon with 525 coil and once my body start to be bikeparkproof I mount the harsher 550 and play with progressive and Linear mount depending on the trails.

I will suggest to check and maybe bleed your shock, mine had air inside after a season.
It changed a lot the bike performance ince bleeding.

Cheers

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 16:44 Quote
Thanks guys, appreciate all the feedback. That’s really helpful to know about the chip settings only affecting initial stroke and not bottom-out.

I have to admit I’m a little confused about how much sag the new Gambler actually calls for—I assumed 30-35% as usual, but most of the testing and bike checks I’ve seen have suggested much less:

-On the Pinkbike test, the rider was 160 lbs and said a 475 spring worked best for him

-On the BikeRadar test, the rider was about 175 and said the stock 500 coil was best

-In Paul the Punter’s bike setup video with Scott’s pro suspension mechanic, he was also on 475 and weighs about 160

-Vinny T and Brendog both weigh about 180 and both run 525 but I know they’re known for stiff settings

-Marine Cabirou runs 400 and she must be maybe 130-140 lbs

I’ve plugged these numbers in and this would put them all around 21-23% sag. Seems really low?

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 22:14 Quote
rjohnson wrote:
There doesn't really seem anywhere on the forum for gambler owners to discuss there bikes etc so i thought i'd start one, so post up your gambler and your opinions on the, set up discussions etc etc.. to start heres my gambler dh20, stock build, trying to decide whether to uprgrade it or buy a different bike, anywhere here ya go:

new bike

Hey I’m wondering if you know but could you tell me what axles would fit in the rear of my 2008? If not what have you got in yours?

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 6:53 Quote
Saturnalia wrote:
Thanks guys, appreciate all the feedback. That’s really helpful to know about the chip settings only affecting initial stroke and not bottom-out.

I have to admit I’m a little confused about how much sag the new Gambler actually calls for—I assumed 30-35% as usual, but most of the testing and bike checks I’ve seen have suggested much less:

-On the Pinkbike test, the rider was 160 lbs and said a 475 spring worked best for him

-On the BikeRadar test, the rider was about 175 and said the stock 500 coil was best

-In Paul the Punter’s bike setup video with Scott’s pro suspension mechanic, he was also on 475 and weighs about 160

-Vinny T and Brendog both weigh about 180 and both run 525 but I know they’re known for stiff settings

-Marine Cabirou runs 400 and she must be maybe 130-140 lbs

I’ve plugged these numbers in and this would put them all around 21-23% sag. Seems really low?

you are correct on 21-23%.
I couldn't get 30% at 160lb on a 425 coil. I barely get it on a 325. The 325 is for my wife and daughter. The 325 still had a ton of pop for me.

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 8:00 Quote
Groscreux wrote:
Hello @saturnalia,
I'm really close to your seetings, hope my feedback will help you :

Rider weight: ~207 lbs
Rider height: 6'2"

Frame settings: 29" wheels, short chainstay, high and Low BB depending on trails
Rear shock: stock DHX2
Progressive shock position --> rough DH
Linear shock position --> Jumps and bikepark
Actually the progressive position only increase the initial leverage ratio.
In other word the bike get more progressive because it soften the begining of the stroke, but it doesn't give more end stroke support.

I'm riding theses coils :
525 Fox stock coil - unknown sag - LSC and HSC in the middle (close to Fox suggesion) Linear position only. Too soft in progressive mode.
550 Bos Coil - unknow sag - LSC and HSC pretty much full open. Progressive and linear position only
Usually I start the seaon with 525 coil and once my body start to be bikeparkproof I mount the harsher 550 and play with progressive and Linear mount depending on the trails.

I will suggest to check and maybe bleed your shock, mine had air inside after a season.
It changed a lot the bike performance ince bleeding.

Cheers
I thought so from the look of the layout, but couldn't find a leverage curve. Anyone has a picture of that?

Posted: May 13, 2022 at 8:58 Quote
Hello all.

I’m trying to build out my 2021 gambler tuned frame.

I can’t find which BB and crankset to buy. DH DUB is all I understand. And DUB BB.

I only see 83 is this what I need?

Thanks.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007395
Mobile Version of Website